Sign in with
Your question

Updated bios, now will not reboot

Last response: in Motherboards
March 3, 2010 5:25:38 PM

Just found this site and its quite resourceful!

please forgive my n00bness...
Some background first,
I just finished my first pc build. Amd athlon II x2 250, biostar motherboard (TA790GXB3) 4 gb ram, hd radeon 4670. Installation went smooth, installed windows xp, all drivers, and was able to get online. Then I decided to upgrade bios, so i used the disk that came with the motherboard, downloaded the online update, installed, and when prompted to reboot, i clicked ok. Now it will not boot, it beeps once every 7 seconds or so, and will not do anything else. i have removed the battery, waited 5 min, but no change. Any ideas? Thanks!

More about : updated bios reboot

a c 111 V Motherboard
March 3, 2010 5:35:23 PM

Removing the battery only doesn't always clear CMOS, at least not correctly.
1. Turn off the PSU
2. Remove the power cable from the PSU (just in case the switch on the PSU accidentally gets flipped to I)
3. Disconnect the PSU from the mobo (both 20/24 & 4/8 pin connectors)
4. Read the mobo manual to check which jumpers to switch to clear your CMOS
5. Following the instructions in your manual, clear CMOS
6. Reconnect PSU and plug the power cord back in
7. Turn on system.

-Edit: Generally, updating the BIOS isn't necessary. Though the manufacturer recommends, it's only to rule out possible bugs in the event of BIOS failure. In other words, don't update your BIOS unless absolutely necessary. As you noticed, the update cause a conflict with your set up.
m
l
March 3, 2010 8:50:01 PM

I followed the instructions above, still no change. I also reseated the ram, and removed the video card, but still only 1 beep, every 7 seconds. The motherboard manual says that 1 beep indicates a memory error. There are also 2 lights on the board, both on = normal. But mine are off/on, which also indicates memory error.

I don't understand how this could be when it was working perfectly before the BIOS upgrade. Should I just RMA this board and start over?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2010 9:14:34 PM

Try with only one stick of memory.
m
l
a c 111 V Motherboard
March 3, 2010 9:17:30 PM

Try using just one RAM module at a time. Also check the RAM voltage and timing in the BIOS.
m
l
March 3, 2010 9:24:37 PM

Im curious why you even upgraded the bios. Unless there is a certain feature in the upgrade that fixes a hard drive problem or some kind of new feature that help you overclock. If everything worked before hand dont change it
m
l
March 3, 2010 9:38:40 PM

I installed one stick of ram at a time, rebooting each time, but still no change. I can't view bios since I'm not receiving a video signal. And you can bet I won't be upgrading bios again, anytime soon. I'll just work with the overclock options that it comes with.

Now since this has a memory error, ALL the ram couldn't have gone bad at once, could it? I suspect something is up with the mobo.
m
l
a c 111 V Motherboard
March 3, 2010 9:42:03 PM

Download memtest86+ from memtest.org. Burn the disc image to cd and run the test overnight (or at least 10 hours). Memtest will run some hardcore tests on your RAM and if it finds errors you will see them.
m
l
March 3, 2010 9:47:26 PM

That's a great idea, but it's unable to run any disks. The CD drive light comes on when powered up, and will not go off. I cannot eject the drive. I've unplugged it also, and tried to reboot without it, but that didn't work. I'm really stumped on this.

I even hooked up the floppy and tried to boot from there, but that too didn't work.
m
l
a c 111 V Motherboard
March 3, 2010 9:51:31 PM

Perhaps it is time to seek an RMA. If truly all you did was update your BIOS to the latest version, then there should be no reason why the manufacturer won't step in to assist.
m
l
March 3, 2010 9:53:45 PM

I searched around, and I've never heard of this happening, but I suppose there's a first for everything. I'll RMA it and start over, but thank you all for your replies and help, I really do appreciate it!
m
l
a c 111 V Motherboard
March 3, 2010 10:10:40 PM

Well there is another process you could try, albeit somewhat unrelated.
Since you'd have to remove the mobo to RMA, do a breadboard build.

Start by removing everything from the mobo, except for the CPU, heatsink, and heatsink fan.

1. Place mobo on a non-conductive surface (like wood or cardboard)
2. Connect just the PSU (remember to connect the 4/8 & 20/24-pin connectors)
3. Use a flat head screw driver to jump the power switch mobo pins

Did you hear 1 long beep followed by 2 short beeps? If so, move to step 4. If not RMA your board.

4. Add RAM modules one at a time, following the mobo manual's instruction on placement. If you don't hear beeps, continue adding more RAM. If you do hear beeps, you probably have a bad board. If RAM passes POST, you should see a display. You should also see a message about no hard drive installed.

5. Connect your HDD. If after connecting your HDD and you see a display, continue to add your hardware until either all hardware is connected and working and you have display, or until you connect something and the display doesn't appear again.
m
l
!