Help me! I can't solve my problem!

infinitespace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
I recently built a new computer and here is the spec.

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black edition
Motherboard : Gigabyte ga-ma790gpt-ud3h
RAM: A-data Gaming series DDR 3 1600 RAM 2GB x 2 = 4GB
PSU: OCZ ModxStream Pro 700W ATX 12v V2.2
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar HD31000 1TB 7200 RPM
Case : In Win fanqua ATX mid tower case
LG DVD burner SATA Model

I got weird problems. This computer works perfectly fine without any problem unless I reboot it. Whether I play game or web surfing, it never gives me any crashes or errors, but if I reboot the computer, then it goes to Blue screen of Death and automatically restart it. I tried Memtest86+, and my memory didn’t have any errors on it. So I took the ram out from the board, and reinsert it. OK. It came back to normal now. Yes. Work perfectly fine again, but it goes to BSOD again every time I reboot it. I tried to change memory voltage from 1.50v to 1.60, 1.65, 1.75, etc, but it still have same problem.
Now all I can do is keep the computer running without reboot it, or reinsert the RAM every time I reboot the computer!
Is it possible memory problem? Or board problem? What should I do? Please help me!

Thank you!

infinitespace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Thank you for fast reply. As I wrote above, I already tried memtest and they didn't show any problems or errors from the test. Also it is hard to tell if one of the RAMs is bad since it perfectly work fine unless I reboot it. I tried to use each of them seperately, both of them work just fine unless I reboot it.

Generally, the BSOD is related some malfunction with RAM. However, seeing as how you've played with the voltage; used one module at a time; and have run memtest, I suspect there may be a problem either in the motherboard or PSU.

What is the error message on the BSOD?

This problem could be caused by you over clocking some part of your computer without you realising it, be it RAM or CPU or insufficient voltage on some part. Another cause could be a bug in the BIOS, check for updates. Power supply issues may be another cause but unlikely. Worst case it is a problem with the motherboard, but I think that the first reason is more likely

infinitespace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Thank you all for the kind replies.
I actually tried so many other things and still couldn’t solve the problems. I updated BIOS for my motherboard to most current one, but it still didn’t fix the problem.
However, I found something new about it.
I actually tested my RAM individually after I got the blue screen errors, which means I took a RAM off from the motherboard. As I mentioned above, I didn’t find any errors from both individual RAMs in all four slots on the board. However, I found more than 100 of errors when I did Memtest the pair of RAMs right after the blue screen errors without changing any hardware from motherboard. So I took the RAMs out from the board and reinserted back to the board. This time, no errors with same pair of RAM! What the.. I felt like the RAM needs to reset to use again.
One more thing!
It was not the only RAM which could temporally fix the problems.
This time I tried to unplug the hard drive from the motherboard and re-plug in after I got the blue screen. AND it went back to normal status just like I reinsert the RAMs! I tried this with all other hardware which connected with board, and they all works that way.

So can I conclude this as the motherboard problem? Or is there still possibility that my RAM has problems? Or is this maybe a compatibility issues between the motherboard and the RAM?

If you were getting blue screen problems then the RAM is almost certainly the cause, another cause of blue screen is faulty drivers. Thinking about it a bit more, faulty drivers could also cause your restart problem by causing the computer to crash when shutting down. Intel 365 XP modem drivers on Vista do this for example causing the blue screen. To prove or disprove this boot into safe mode and then restart, if the computer restarts properly then a faulty driver could be the reason if not then disregard this suggestion.
Have you tried running your computer with just one or two sticks of RAM? Does it still fail to reboot correctly then?