Claudius

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: within a month

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, blu-ray, internet, flash, photoshop

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, speakers (for now but will take suggestions for later), monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I guess newegg. Also have Amazon prime

PARTS PREFERENCES: really looking for parts that are cost effective. ATI guy.

OVERCLOCKING: maybe, future

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200. 24' LCD.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: my current computer is a relic. building this rig with future upgrades in mind. Already have a nice monitor. Will I need Vista?

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to building a computer from scratch.

dragoon190

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
Is you're budget inclusive or exclusive of taxes and shipping cost? Search around the forum a bit, I think Why_me recently posted a couple of i5 configurations that'd be around $800 before tax and SH. It might be a bit cheaper (~$15 or $20 depending on vendor & rebates) if you decide to use MBs that doesn't support crossfire, like MSI P55-CD-53.

For regular gaming, a 4870 would be sufficient for most games.

Claudius

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009

800ish.

I don't need to run Crysis on high. Just a relatively cheap gaming rig with a good enough graphics card that can handle 1920x1200. Considering I'm using a 5 year old AGP Pentium 4 anything I get will be a major step up. Right now I just play older TBS/RTS/CPRGs

Games I intend to play: Fallout 3, Dragon Age, Stalker, Divinity 2, the Witcher. And Blu-ray.

Claudius

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009

Well go ahead and post those configurations. I'd like to keep the budget around a 800 cap, maybe slightly above. But if there is a cheaper configuration like 600-700 I'd prefer that if it would allow me to do some specific upgrades a year or so down the line. No idea where the technology is headed right now.

I get free shipping through Amazon.com. Not sure if should use them over a place like Newegg though.

build

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

The build above looks solid and within your budget.

Or alternatively, you can swap the CPU and mobo for a Phenom II X3 + Gigabyte GA-MA770T combo, which would bring the total cost to under $600. It's not as powerful as the I5, but it should make for a decent gaming rig nonetheless.