Sign in with
Your question

Is mixing timings/voltages okay?

Last response: in Memory
March 3, 2010 9:03:11 PM

I have 4GB (2x2) of G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333. If I ever wanted to upgrade to say 8GB+ in a couple years, is it bad for the modules to have faster timings/ different voltages?

Right now they are 8-8-8-24 @ 1.5V.

Thanks.
a b } Memory
March 3, 2010 9:38:49 PM

In short, no, mixing RAM isn't bad. Keep in mind that when you mix RAM you'll be using 1. lowest speed, 2. highest latency, & 3. highest voltage.

Several other factors to consider:

1. Can lower voltage RAM operate at the higher voltage (if volts don't match)
2. When using 4 slots of RAM will likely require adding another .1-.2 volts, can your CPU handle this?
3. Does your mobo support the amount of RAM you want to increase to?
4. Does your mobo/BIOS have memory mapping?

Mixing RAM is frowned upon because of the complications that may arise when doing so. Generally, using matching pairs is the better way to go.
m
l
March 4, 2010 12:31:29 AM

T_T said:
In short, no, mixing RAM isn't bad. Keep in mind that when you mix RAM you'll be using 1. lowest speed, 2. highest latency, & 3. highest voltage.

Several other factors to consider:

1. Can lower voltage RAM operate at the higher voltage (if volts don't match)
2. When using 4 slots of RAM will likely require adding another .1-.2 volts, can your CPU handle this?
3. Does your mobo support the amount of RAM you want to increase to?
4. Does your mobo/BIOS have memory mapping?

Mixing RAM is frowned upon because of the complications that may arise when doing so. Generally, using matching pairs is the better way to go.

Okay thanks alot. I thought it might be hard to find exact spec RAM in two or three years as the timings will probably get better and voltages down, nevertheless, DDR4 or new memory types may be released.

Too all of the questions, I think I would be fine. I have a pretty high quality board and processor....but I will stick to your advice and stay with the same timings.
m
l
!