Sign in with
Your question

I7 930 OC questions

Last response: in Overclocking
December 4, 2011 12:06:13 AM

Howdy all first time poster so please be nice if i have started this thread in the wrong section sorry!

I have OC my i7 930 for the first time following this tutorial... http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclock...

I am currently at 3.8ghz although not quite stable (been using intel burn test passing 5 loops then blue screening)

This is my current setup
CPU: I7 930
Motherboard: X58A-UD3R FA
RAM: 6GIG CORSAIRE XM3 1600HZ
COOLER: Noctua NH-U12P-SE2

Short of me writing down all the values for you to see is there another way this can be done?

Reason for posting is id like to get my voltages looked at as im still not sure as to whats safe and too much, and also maybe see something i might have missed!

Cheers
Luke

More about : 930 questions

a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2011 12:27:54 PM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

I have the i7-930 CPU OCed to 3.82 GHz; very stable for almost 2 years. My voltage is at 1.275 (upper limit is 1.375 volts)

What is your voltage set at?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2011 1:30:08 PM

you'll have to list the settings you're using or take some screen shots of your bios and post them
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2011 9:27:56 AM

Ill use my phone and upload the pics silly i didn't think of it earlier, ill update this post with screenys shortly.

I have gotten the computer to fully boot at 4.01ghz, but fails the intel burntest.
currently i can play my games no problems (Skyrim), but using browsers it hangs every now and then then all of the sudden catches up.

Edit: here are the pics if ive missed anything please let me know

m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2011 10:21:06 AM

Two things come to mind:

1. 4.01 GHz is kinda high for this CPU - I had mine going at 4.0 stable, but then backed down to 3.82 GHz for CPU longevity. CPU life at higher clocks (therefore higher heat) and higher voltages is really unknown. What is known is that heat is an enemy of electronics!

2. The voltage 1.175 for OC seems a bit low. If you raise the voltage to 1.275 volts (Max. is 1.375 V) the CPU will run quite stable at 3.82 GHz. (Mine was stable at 1.275V and 4.0 GHz).

The observed speed differences at 4.0 and 3.82 is not that much. It is like driving at 73.3 MPH Vs 70 MPH
m
l
December 6, 2011 10:28:50 AM

Cheers for the reply,

I have manualy changed the CPU voltage as you can see in the screenshot, but the actual voltage is lower than what i have selected... how does that work?
So do i turn it up a couple of notches and look at the voltage on the left in white as the true reading?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2011 10:35:58 AM

lukeyz said:
Cheers for the reply,

I have manualy changed the CPU voltage as you can see in the screenshot, but the actual voltage is lower than what i have selected... how does that work?
So do i turn it up a couple of notches and look at the voltage on the left in white as the true reading?

Make all settings in the BIOS.

You may use handy OC gadgets to give you a rough idea on the end result, but the final OC must be done in the BIOS.

I used EVGA's ELEET for my quick settings to check results. Then duplicated the settings in the BIOS, and then left it alone.

Try using OCCT for monitoring - CPUZ is also a good one.
m
l
December 7, 2011 3:59:17 AM

Ubrales said:
Make all settings in the BIOS.

You may use handy OC gadgets to give you a rough idea on the end result, but the final OC must be done in the BIOS.

I used EVGA's ELEET for my quick settings to check results. Then duplicated the settings in the BIOS, and then left it alone.

Try using OCCT for monitoring - CPUZ is also a good one.

I have made all changes in bios i haven't used any 3rd party programs like easytune6

Please take another look at my screenshot i have set it to more than 1.175 im not sure why its showing that figure, but next to it in yellow is the voltage that i put in and i can confirm via cpu-z that my setting is whats been used.

evgaleet doesn't give me the option to make any adjustments relating to overclocking its all greyed out except for turbo mode witch i have disabled anyway.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 7, 2011 8:10:33 PM

http://downloads.guru3d.com/OCCT-(OverClock-Checking-Tool)-3.0.0-download-1880.html

Download and use this to check the voltages.

I don't know how it works on your motherboard. The manual will explain it in better detail. On EVGA's boards the voltages hover around the set voltages in the BIOS.

ELEET may not work for you because your board is not an EVGA board.
m
l
!