Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HD5870 EYE6 Fan Dying - Aftermarket coolers?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 4, 2011 2:12:57 AM

Hello all,

I have a Sapphire HD5870 Eyefinity 6 edition graphics card, and the fan is quite obviously dying. It just started happening yesterday which surprised me because it has never done this before. Come home hoping to finish configuring my recently upgraded comp (went from an old C2Q to a i5 2500k). Turn on the computer and I hear an awful grinding noise. Seems to slowly quite down (not all the way) with time, but it's annoying as hell and I don't want the card to crap out because of inadequate cooling if it fails.

Specs:

Coolermaster HAF 932
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4
HD5870 Eyefinity 6
HIS HD5870 1GB
Coolermaster V6GT

I have the two 5870's crossfired (obviously). I don't want to warranty it back to Asia or wherever the hell they want it sent, i'm just looking for an aftermarket cooler that will work with my setup. They Eyefinity card is on the top and the other on the bottom, though that can change if need be. Problem is, most of the aftermarket coolers I have seen make the card a 3 slotter, which would be pretty to close to either the second 5870 (if on top) or the PSU (if on bottom). I just don't know what cooler to get.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

(reposting in this forum because I believe this topic is a little more relevant here).
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2011 2:17:34 AM

Look for this aftermarket cooler: ARCTIC COOLING Accelero TWIN TURBO Pro, it is supposed to fit your card.
m
l
December 4, 2011 2:20:02 AM

Right, but will the fans be suffocated by either my second card or my psu?
m
l
Related resources
December 4, 2011 2:26:47 AM

I have about 2.5 inches from the top of my first card to the top of the second card, and about 2.75 inches from the top of the third card to the top of my PSU, plus since my PSU isn't modular there are quite a bit of unused cables down there. Bottom PCI slot has more room to work with but closer to some wiring, top has less to work with but no wiring to worry about.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2011 2:27:53 AM

I don't know, I can't tell from the pictures you posted (lol), but I have a doublke slot GTX 470 in the top slot (which has three slot spaces between it and the next PCIe slot) and a triple slot (aftermarket cooled) GTX 470 in the lower slot without obstruction of the PSU.
m
l
December 4, 2011 2:33:44 AM

Oh sorry, I'll throw up some pictures, one sec.
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2011 3:12:06 AM

I see your dillema, but I think that the Arctic Cooler has enough intake space to be placed in the lower slot without a problem. You will have to take care of cable management, but it looks like there will not be an obstruction of the intake fans.
December 4, 2011 3:26:47 AM

Does anybody else have a setup like this? I'd like to know if there is something better before I drop $50 and have it not fit.

m
l
December 4, 2011 3:50:01 AM

I was looking at some other things and came across the "Thermalright Spitfire 6" which looked amazing, and would have provided more cooling to my second card as well. Sadly it seems that they no longer sell it.
m
l
December 11, 2011 1:21:59 PM

Best answer selected by Pigbearman.
m
l
!