Best way of connecting laptop to dial up provider without ..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
May 22, 2004 11:26:49 AM

Hi all,
out of curiosity, are there any wireless modems capable of dialing into a
regular ISP?
I've got an IBM T40, with a regular modem, but no access to a land based
phone line.
Is there an alternative?
Keep in mind that we also do not have a cell phone with blue tooth/modem
capabilities or wireless network (-8
Is there such a device? Connection speed, etc?

Tia!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2004 1:35:52 PM

"Craig" <craig@mack.com> wrote in message
| Hi all,
| out of curiosity, are there any wireless modems capable of dialing into a
| regular ISP?
| I've got an IBM T40, with a regular modem, but no access to a land based
| phone line.
| Is there an alternative?
| Keep in mind that we also do not have a cell phone with blue tooth/modem
| capabilities or wireless network (-8
| Is there such a device? Connection speed, etc?

No Bluetooth, but do you have infrared? If not, some phones can be connected
via a data cable. Most only connect at or about 9600bps though, so it would
be sloooww going <wink>.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2004 3:02:57 PM

> Craigwrote:
Hi all,
> out of curiosity, are there any wireless modems capable of dialing
into a
> regular ISP?
There are many PC card based wireless modems for laptops from various
manufacturers such as Motorola, AirCard, etc.

As to the performance of them, some rival broadband as to speed, but
you normally pay extra for it. Who is your cell phone provider? Best
to check with them as to what they offer.

==============
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2004 4:06:51 PM

Hi Craig,

I travel around the State & Country on a regular basis, and have tried all kinds of solutions. They varied from choosing an ISP
that had local numbers in the places I traveled to (Earthlink. Though now a lot of Hotels charge for local calls). To connecting
through high-speed connections at $10US a day to wireless (the faster your connection the more it cost either by the minute or
the megabyte). The solution I am currently using is T-Mobile's unlimited Internet for $29.95US ($19.95US if you also get a voice
cell phone with them).

There are a couple of places that I go to in North Idaho that doesn't have T-Mobile or one of their partners. Those two places I
use dial-up. The downside to T-Mobile is that they use the Sierra AirCards. The card works well, but cost $350US. I waited until
my cell phone store had a sale on the AirCard 750 for $150US then got the service. The connection averages about 38Kbps, which
is slow (I have been in places where the connection was faster). I mainly check my e-mail and do research, so speed is not an
issue (after all the service is unlimited.

I think you need to check service need vs cost. For me, I spend more than $200US for my Internet (I have broadband at my home
and DSL at my two offices). My business though requires that I be well connected.

Hope you find a cost effective service for your needs.

Ciao . . . C.Joseph

That which a man buys to cheaply . . .
He esteems to lightly

Craig wrote:
> Hi all,
> out of curiosity, are there any wireless modems capable of dialing into a
> regular ISP?
> I've got an IBM T40, with a regular modem, but no access to a land based
> phone line.
> Is there an alternative?
> Keep in mind that we also do not have a cell phone with blue tooth/modem
> capabilities or wireless network (-8
> Is there such a device? Connection speed, etc?
>
> Tia!

May 22, 2004 6:39:17 PM

arghh, 9600 eh?
i guess vpn is out of the question then.
would bluetooth be faster than a data cable?

"Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in message

> "Craig" <craig@mack.com> wrote in message
> | Hi all,
> | out of curiosity, are there any wireless modems capable of dialing into
> | regular ISP?
> | I've got an IBM T40, with a regular modem, but no access to a land based
> | phone line.
> | Is there an alternative?
> | Keep in mind that we also do not have a cell phone with blue tooth/modem
> | capabilities or wireless network (-8
> | Is there such a device? Connection speed, etc?
> |

> No Bluetooth, but do you have infrared? If not, some phones can be
connected
> via a data cable. Most only connect at or about 9600bps though, so it
would
> be sloooww going <wink>.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2004 6:39:18 PM

"Craig" <craig@mack.com> wrote in message
news:p CJrc.6$U1f1.5@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
| arghh, 9600 eh?
| i guess vpn is out of the question then.
| would bluetooth be faster than a data cable?

No. The connection speed is a result of the "modem" capabilities of the
phone. my particular phone has the ability to select it to connect at 28800,
but for whatever reason (Cingular's system perhaps?), It will still only
connect at 9600. I don't know what carrier you are using, but it is possible
that you may be able to connect faster.
May 22, 2004 10:02:24 PM

my brother's got a nokie 8390 and a sony t616.
I believe the 8390 has modem capabilities.
The provide is Rogers AT&T.

I checked out Nextel's wireless modem:

http://www.nextel.com/phones_plans/datadevices/im1100.s...

It looks like the cost of modem plus data rates will not justified.
I thought it would be as simple as plugging in a pcmcia card and dialing
into a regular ISP.

How have your experiences been with remote dialup?

"JHEM" <James@thinkpads-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> > Craigwrote:
> Hi all,
> > out of curiosity, are there any wireless modems capable of dialing
> into a
> > regular ISP?
> There are many PC card based wireless modems for laptops from various
> manufacturers such as Motorola, AirCard, etc.
>
> As to the performance of them, some rival broadband as to speed, but
> you normally pay extra for it. Who is your cell phone provider? Best
> to check with them as to what they offer.
>
> ==============
troubleshooting newsgroups.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2004 10:02:25 PM

| my brother's got a nokie 8390 and a sony t616.
| I believe the 8390 has modem capabilities.

The T616 also does.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 24, 2004 1:23:58 AM

On Sat, 22 May 2004 18:02:24 GMT, "Craig" <craig@mack.com> wrote:

>It looks like the cost of modem plus data rates will not justified.
>I thought it would be as simple as plugging in a pcmcia card and dialing
>into a regular ISP.

I've got Verizon and their unlimited access data plan, using a
Sierra Aircard. The plan is $80 month, and I snagged the card on eBay
for $100. Since Chicago is crawling with signal towers, I average
about 100kbps; the worse reception is, the slower it goes with my own
apartment being my worst reception point, ding dial-up speeds.
I justified the cost in 3 ways. I dropped my dial-up service,
saving $20/month and ditched my cell service, which was another $30.
When going on a trip or any time I need a cell phone, I fire up the
cheap-o Motorola it came with and use Verizon's web site to change the
ESN to the phone and I'm back in business (the card works as a phone,
but it's awkward, imo).
The remaining expense is worth it - it's like having a wifi
connection that isn't limited by hotspots.
Emanuel
May 24, 2004 4:07:31 AM

"Craig" <craig@mack.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> out of curiosity, are there any wireless modems capable of dialing into a
> regular ISP?
> I've got an IBM T40, with a regular modem, but no access to a land based
> phone line.
> Is there an alternative?
> Keep in mind that we also do not have a cell phone with blue tooth/modem
> capabilities or wireless network (-8
> Is there such a device? Connection speed, etc?
>
> Tia!

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 24, 2004 6:30:56 PM

"Craig" <craig@mack.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>out of curiosity, are there any wireless modems capable of dialing into a
>regular ISP?
>I've got an IBM T40, with a regular modem, but no access to a land based
>phone line.
>Is there an alternative?
>Keep in mind that we also do not have a cell phone with blue tooth/modem
>capabilities or wireless network (-8
>Is there such a device? Connection speed, etc?

I have a Hewlitt-Packard Pavilion series laptop running XP. I bought,
on eBay, an Ositech King of Clubs cellular PCMCIA (Cardbus) modem with
a cable that fits my Nokia 5165. I am able to dial up to my landline
ISP with a connection speed of 19200 -- not blazingly fast by any
means, but comparable to the 24000 speed I can achieve dialing up via
the computer's modem on a landline. It's enough to download E-mail, do
some rudimentary Web browsing on pages that contain mainly text, log
into chat services like Yahoo Messenger,and so on.

I am now currently seeking a solution that will allow me to connect a
cell phone to an Apple Macintosh iBook G4 running OS X 10.3 (Panther).
Since this computer dors not have a Cardbus slot, I will need to
upgrade my phone and find a USB cable that will work with my Mac.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
H.B. Elkins -- Beattyville, KY
http://www.millenniumhwy.net hbelkins(at)mis.net

"There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
--Dale Jarrett, on the late Dale Earnhardt

Go Big Blue (Kentucky Wildcats)! Go #15 (Michael Waltrip, NAPA Chevy)!

To reply, just remove the restrictorplates...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 25, 2004 6:22:45 PM

If you want something that's wireless, T-Mobile for their $29.99 / month
24/7 unlimited useage wireless internet service + Merlin G100 GPRS
PCMCIA card off www.ebay.com for ~$80 or less.

This lets you go online anywhere in the USA where you have T-Mobile cell
coverage, and dirt-cheap at a flat $29.99 /mo regardless of how long you
are online.

No other service from Verizon, etc. is cheaper (they usually charge
$80/mo for unlimited).
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 25, 2004 8:29:28 PM

>> Hi all
>> out of curiosity, are there any wireless modems capable of dialing into a
>> regular ISP?
>> I've got an IBM T40, with a regular modem, but no access to a land based
>> phone line.
>> Is there an alternative?
>> Keep in mind that we also do not have a cell phone with blue tooth/modem
>> capabilities or wireless network (-8
>> Is there such a device? Connection speed, etc?
>>
>> Tia!

All Apple airports(Win & Mac platform). Most Airport Extreme's(not the
budget model). This Orinoco($115) is an Airport in another case and
made for PC use only, no MAC support:
http://tinyurl.com/yuvs9
That retailer has a good reseller rating and ships in a few days,
FedEx. Just got one of those which is an OEM package. Everything is
new but you must get the install program and manual off google.
Gateway was selling these for $300.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 25, 2004 8:59:56 PM

On Tue, 25 May 2004 16:29:28 -0400, AndrewJ <ajpk3@hotmail.comremove>
wrote:

>>> Hi all
>>> out of curiosity, are there any wireless modems capable of dialing into a
>>> regular ISP?
>>> I've got an IBM T40, with a regular modem, but no access to a land based
>>> phone line.
>>> Is there an alternative?
>>> Keep in mind that we also do not have a cell phone with blue tooth/modem
>>> capabilities or wireless network (-8
>>> Is there such a device? Connection speed, etc?
>>>
>>> Tia!
>
>All Apple airports(Win & Mac platform). Most Airport Extreme's(not the
>budget model). This Orinoco($115) is an Airport in another case and
>made for PC use only, no MAC support:
>http://tinyurl.com/yuvs9
>That retailer has a good reseller rating and ships in a few days,
>FedEx. Just got one of those which is an OEM package. Everything is
>new but you must get the install program and manual off google.
>Gateway was selling these for $300.

never mind, that needs a phone line.
Fight back!
http://tinyurl.com/hhez
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 25, 2004 10:30:25 PM

"David Chien" <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote in message
| If you want something that's wireless, T-Mobile for their $29.99 / month
| 24/7 unlimited useage wireless internet service + Merlin G100 GPRS
| PCMCIA card off www.ebay.com for ~$80 or less.
|
| This lets you go online anywhere in the USA where you have T-Mobile cell
| coverage, and dirt-cheap at a flat $29.99 /mo regardless of how long you
| are online.
|
| No other service from Verizon, etc. is cheaper (they usually charge
| $80/mo for unlimited).

I don't know if it is available with Cingular without phone service, but
with phone service, Cingular unlimited GPRS is only $20 per month.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 26, 2004 10:05:27 PM

On Tue, 25 May 2004 14:22:45 -0700, David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu>
wrote:

>If you want something that's wireless, T-Mobile for their $29.99 / month
>24/7 unlimited useage wireless internet service + Merlin G100 GPRS
>PCMCIA card off www.ebay.com for ~$80 or less.
>
>This lets you go online anywhere in the USA where you have T-Mobile cell
>coverage, and dirt-cheap at a flat $29.99 /mo regardless of how long you
>are online.

That's a much better deal, but when I checked T-Mobile's nationwide
coverage wasn't that great. If you're planning to use it just locally
and the service is good where you are, I'd say go for it.
Emanuel
May 31, 2004 3:51:27 PM

"David Chien" <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote in message
> If you want something that's wireless, T-Mobile for their $29.99 / month
> 24/7 unlimited useage wireless internet service + Merlin G100 GPRS
> PCMCIA card off www.ebay.com for ~$80 or less.
>
> This lets you go online anywhere in the USA where you have T-Mobile cell
> coverage, and dirt-cheap at a flat $29.99 /mo regardless of how long you
> are online.
>
> No other service from Verizon, etc. is cheaper (they usually charge
> $80/mo for unlimited).

But Verizon's CDMA network can provide a speed around 144kbps which is
significantly faster than T-mobile's GPRS which is around 30kpbs.
!