DirecTiVo 6.2 thoughts

Last response: in Home Theatre
May 27, 2005 2:52:37 PM

I've got a 105 hour DirecTiVo with plenty on it so paging through all those
screens wasn't fun. This upgrade makes it much more useable.

Menu operations are noticably faster. Surprisingly so.

Reordering season passes is still painfully slow. Not something I do to
often but it looks like I still need to plan to so as many of them as
possible at a time and then leave it to think for the 5-10 minutes it often
takes. (yes I have several pages of season passes. It's why I chose TiVo
over other DVRs).

I really like the folders, great interface. I also appreciate the easy
access to turning folders on and off and changing from date to alphabetical
sorting.

Next I'd like to see an additional level of organization: personal folders.
On every recording and every season pass, and even some way to do it
automatically with suggestions. Tag shows for a particular person. Allow
users to drill down by who recorded it, then by show, then by episode.
Stick anything that isn't tagged to a specific person in it's own folder.

Also I'd like to see the way I (and many others) use suggestions. I thumb
up shows that I'd like to have more of but dont necessarily want to
schedule a recording for or establish a season pass. Sort of a "get these
when you've got time". It would be nice to be able to do this from season
passes. Something along the lines of allowing me to setup a normal season
pass for new episodes of the "Simpsons" that did the normal respect of the
ordering on the season pass list and have a checkbox that would allow you
to get X number of older episodes as well as the TiVo had time (i.e. other
season passes take scheduling precidence).

More about : directivo thoughts

May 27, 2005 8:10:54 PM

* Tony Rice Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

> I've got a 105 hour DirecTiVo with plenty on it so paging through
> all those screens wasn't fun. This upgrade makes it much more
> useable.
>
> Menu operations are noticably faster. Surprisingly so.
>
> Reordering season passes is still painfully slow.

See, I found this to be AMAZINGLY faster than it was pre update. I
frequently have ~80 season passes or so and moving one just one click
in either direction meant 15 minutes of nothingness. I did it for the
firt time since the upgrade yesterday and it took less than 5
minutes.

> Not something I
> do to often but it looks like I still need to plan to so as many
> of them as possible at a time and then leave it to think for the
> 5-10 minutes it often takes. (yes I have several pages of season
> passes. It's why I chose TiVo over other DVRs).
>
> I really like the folders, great interface. I also appreciate the
> easy access to turning folders on and off and changing from date
> to alphabetical sorting.

I like the folders but it screws up my sorting now. THe thing I hate
most about the folders is when sorted by date, if you are watching
something in the folder / delete when finished and go back to NPL my
cursor is now frequently at the bottom of the list and I have to
scroll back up to the top to watch something recently recorded.

Also the data sort now integrates the SUID programs which used to
happily sit at the bottom of the list. I deal with it, its not a huge
deal, but I wish it worked exactly like it had just with the addition
of the folders.

[...]

--
David
Anonymous

SINNER <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote in

> See, I found this to be AMAZINGLY faster than it was pre update. I
> frequently have ~80 season passes or so and moving one just one click
> in either direction meant 15 minutes of nothingness. I did it for the
> firt time since the upgrade yesterday and it took less than 5
> minutes.

This is still way too slow, in my opinion. Even for an infrequently used
screen. I guess the database is being reordered right there and then. I
dont understand why it has to be though. There is no need to process it
immediately to display any errors or prompt for any conflicts. There
shouldn't be any.

I'm guessing it's a pretty rudimentary database that is indexed only on
time and reordering it is not a simple operation.

> Also the data sort now integrates the SUID programs which used to
> happily sit at the bottom of the list. I deal with it, its not a huge
> deal, but I wish it worked exactly like it had just with the addition
> of the folders.

I personally like the suggestions being included in the folders. In fact,
I've changed a couple of the suggestions to "save until" so that I would
get a folder for that show at the top of the list. To each his own I
guess.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 27, 2005 8:59:47 PM

I got mine last night.

It used to sort by scheduled deletion time, but not any more.
I'll get used to it, after all, mine hasn't autodeleted anything since I
upgraded it from 40GB to 240GB.

The DTV guide is still slower than I would like.

Steven

May you have the peace and freedom that come from abandoning all hope of
having a better past.
--- - --- - - - - - - - -- - - - --- - ------ -
- --- - - -- - - - -- - - -
"Tony Rice" <rtphokie@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've got a 105 hour DirecTiVo with plenty on it so paging through all
> those
> screens wasn't fun. This upgrade makes it much more useable.
>
> Menu operations are noticably faster. Surprisingly so.
>
> Reordering season passes is still painfully slow. Not something I do to
> often but it looks like I still need to plan to so as many of them as
> possible at a time and then leave it to think for the 5-10 minutes it
> often
> takes. (yes I have several pages of season passes. It's why I chose TiVo
> over other DVRs).
>
> I really like the folders, great interface. I also appreciate the easy
> access to turning folders on and off and changing from date to
> alphabetical
> sorting.
>
> Next I'd like to see an additional level of organization: personal
> folders.
> On every recording and every season pass, and even some way to do it
> automatically with suggestions. Tag shows for a particular person. Allow
> users to drill down by who recorded it, then by show, then by episode.
> Stick anything that isn't tagged to a specific person in it's own folder.
>
> Also I'd like to see the way I (and many others) use suggestions. I thumb
> up shows that I'd like to have more of but dont necessarily want to
> schedule a recording for or establish a season pass. Sort of a "get
> these
> when you've got time". It would be nice to be able to do this from season
> passes. Something along the lines of allowing me to setup a normal season
> pass for new episodes of the "Simpsons" that did the normal respect of the
> ordering on the season pass list and have a checkbox that would allow you
> to get X number of older episodes as well as the TiVo had time (i.e. other
> season passes take scheduling precidence).
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 9:28:46 PM

"SINNER" <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote in message
>* Tony Rice Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>
>> I've got a 105 hour DirecTiVo with plenty on it so paging through
>> all those screens wasn't fun. This upgrade makes it much more
>> useable.
>>
>> Menu operations are noticably faster. Surprisingly so.
>>
>> Reordering season passes is still painfully slow.
>
> See, I found this to be AMAZINGLY faster than it was pre update. I
> frequently have ~80 season passes or so and moving one just one click
> in either direction meant 15 minutes of nothingness. I did it for the
> firt time since the upgrade yesterday and it took less than 5
> minutes.

Just curious...how do you have time to watch so much television?? I'm
jealous...sadly, I have to work for a living, when I would much rather watch
TV.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 9:30:46 PM

SINNER (arcade.master@googlemail.net) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> See, I found this to be AMAZINGLY faster than it was pre update. I
> frequently have ~80 season passes or so and moving one just one click
> in either direction meant 15 minutes of nothingness. I did it for the
> firt time since the upgrade yesterday and it took less than 5
> minutes.

I can't wait for this update, because I have the same speed issues you
list, and the frustrating part is that the HD DirecTiVo does *not* seem
to have them. With 115 season passes and ARWL, it takes less than 5
minutes to do a complex re-order. Moving one SP on an SD unit with less
than 10 SPs took 10 minutes.

The HD units are on the same 3.1.x code base as the non-upgraded SD units,
so I have no clue why it is so much faster.

--
Jeff Rife | "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going
| to take pan & scan anymore."
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 1:34:57 AM

"Tony Rice" <rtphokie@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've got a 105 hour DirecTiVo with plenty on it so paging through all
> those
> screens wasn't fun. This upgrade makes it much more useable.
>
> Menu operations are noticably faster. Surprisingly so.

So fast that when I get back to the Now Playing list, after
having deleted an item, there is now a little hick-up as the
item is removed and the list updated. It may be happening
faster but it seems more noticeable. Maybe it's just me?

Luck;
Ken
May 28, 2005 3:35:49 AM

* Z Man wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

> "SINNER" <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote in message
>>* Tony Rice Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

>>> I've got a 105 hour DirecTiVo with plenty on it so paging through
>>> all those screens wasn't fun. This upgrade makes it much more
>>> useable.

>>> Menu operations are noticably faster. Surprisingly so.

>>> Reordering season passes is still painfully slow.

>> See, I found this to be AMAZINGLY faster than it was pre update. I
>> frequently have ~80 season passes or so and moving one just one click
>> in either direction meant 15 minutes of nothingness. I did it for the
>> firt time since the upgrade yesterday and it took less than 5
>> minutes.

> Just curious...how do you have time to watch so much television?? I'm
> jealous...sadly, I have to work for a living, when I would much rather watch
> TV.

Much gets deleted without getting watched, others get watched when the
stuff I watch regularly is in rerun, like now.

I to have to work for living and unfortunately I can't telecommute. Dont
worry though, your not missing much ;)
--
David
Software, n.:

On Fri, 27 May 2005 at 15:52 GMT, <rtphokie@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got a 105 hour DirecTiVo with plenty on it so paging through all those
> screens wasn't fun. This upgrade makes it much more useable.
>
> Menu operations are noticably faster. Surprisingly so.

Agreed.

> Reordering season passes is still painfully slow. Not something I do to
> often but it looks like I still need to plan to so as many of them as
> possible at a time and then leave it to think for the 5-10 minutes it often
> takes. (yes I have several pages of season passes. It's why I chose TiVo
> over other DVRs).

Haven't reordered SPs yet, but wishlist searches (find all for
all wishlists) is down from something like 5mins to just over 2mins
here. I can't guarantee it's causually related to 6.2, but I'll take
it.

> Next I'd like to see an additional level of organization: personal folders.
> On every recording and every season pass, and even some way to do it
> automatically with suggestions. Tag shows for a particular person. Allow
> users to drill down by who recorded it, then by show, then by episode.
> Stick anything that isn't tagged to a specific person in it's own folder.

Great idea.

> Also I'd like to see the way I (and many others) use suggestions. I thumb
> up shows that I'd like to have more of but dont necessarily want to
> schedule a recording for or establish a season pass. Sort of a "get these
> when you've got time". It would be nice to be able to do this from season
> passes.

I'd like to be able to set a SP directly from a show recording,
instead of having to backout and find it by name.

> Something along the lines of allowing me to setup a normal season
> pass for new episodes of the "Simpsons" that did the normal respect of the
> ordering on the season pass list and have a checkbox that would allow you
> to get X number of older episodes as well as the TiVo had time (i.e. other
> season passes take scheduling precidence).

I wonder if two complementary SPs would take care of this.

--
http://cbsrmt.mousetrap.net/RMTdb/ CBS Radio Mystery Theater database
CBSRMT uploads each day in <news:alt.binaries.sounds.radio.cbsrmt>

Frater Mus (FraterMus2005@mousetrap.net) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> > Something along the lines of allowing me to setup a normal season
> > pass for new episodes of the "Simpsons" that did the normal respect of the
> > ordering on the season pass list and have a checkbox that would allow you
> > to get X number of older episodes as well as the TiVo had time (i.e. other
> > season passes take scheduling precidence).
>
> I wonder if two complementary SPs would take care of this.

Not on the same channel, as you can only have one SP per show per channel.

--
Jeff Rife | "Only one human captain has ever survived battle
| with a Minbari fleet...he is behind me...you are
| in front of me. If you value your lives,
| be somewhere else."
| -- Ambassador Delenn, 2260
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 11:36:18 AM

> I'd like to be able to set a SP directly from a show recording,
> instead of having to backout and find it by name.

This is a pain isn't it?

>> Something along the lines of allowing me to setup a normal season
>> pass for new episodes of the "Simpsons" that did the normal respect
>> of the ordering on the season pass list and have a checkbox that
>> would allow you to get X number of older episodes as well as the TiVo
>> had time (i.e. other season passes take scheduling precidence).
>
> I wonder if two complementary SPs would take care of this.

I've done this for some shows where new episodes are still available but
are in syndication on multiple channels. One season pass for new episodes
set to keep 5, and another for all episodes set to keep 5. Without 2, the
new epsiodes would be gone in a day or two as syndicated reruns would push
them off the list. As an example, there are 6 episodes of the Simpsons on
various channels per day for me.

I will probably start using more season passes now that grouping by show
title is available but I'd still like to see something like what I
described in my original post simply to be able to avoid the nag screen
when scheduling a recording that conflicts with something that I really
dont care about.
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 1:22:08 PM

> Reordering season passes is still painfully slow. Not something I do to
> often but it looks like I still need to plan to so as many of them as
> possible at a time and then leave it to think for the 5-10 minutes it
often
> takes.

Well, I agree it's slow. But considering the juggling act it's performing I
can understand. It's trying to check for conflicts, use of the right tuner
input, free space and ALL of these across each upcoming broadcast of the
show. There's a lot of factors it has to use to make the decisions.

> Tag shows for a particular person.

A multi-user Tivo would be nice. Meanwhile the only option is another
DirecTivo. It's cheap enough. Combine this with MRV and it'd be even
better. But could you imagine the added complexity of trying to decide what
to delete to free up space? There'd have to be a 'weight' added for the
user in addition to all the other factors. As in, MY programs won't get
deleted until the kids shows are dumped first. Eh, the household conflicts
from this would be easier to solve by just using another DirecTivo.

> Also I'd like to see the way I (and many others) use suggestions.

I don't. They're useless most of the time.
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 1:22:09 PM

"wkearney99" <wkearney99@hotmail.com> wrote in

>> Reordering season passes is still painfully slow. Not something I do
>> to often but it looks like I still need to plan to so as many of them
>> as possible at a time and then leave it to think for the 5-10 minutes
>> it
> often
>> takes.
>
> Well, I agree it's slow. But considering the juggling act it's
> performing I can understand. It's trying to check for conflicts, use
> of the right tuner input, free space and ALL of these across each
> upcoming broadcast of the show. There's a lot of factors it has to
> use to make the decisions.

What I dont understand is why this has to be done right then and now worked
on as time allows.
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 10:37:22 PM

> What I dont understand is why this has to be done right then and now
worked
> on as time allows.

Because now is the only time it can ask you what might be very complicated
conflict questions.

If it discovers there are conflicts with your selection it can ask you what
to do about it. The thumb ratings will help it make a choice but it needs
confirmation from you. There's a distinct likelihood you won't be near the
machine when the programming might occur so it's now or never.

That and imagine the user complaints if it 'guessed' which one to record and
that guess wasn't what they expected. The PR costs from a boatload of angry
customers having missed their shows would be damned expensive. This as
opposed to having to wait a bit longer and have it make the RIGHT choice.

Yes, I'm sure everyone would welcome it being A LOT FASTER, myself included.
But hey, for what we pay for these boxes (cost and monthly) we're still
gettin' a heckuva deal. I just make sure that juggling season passes is
done when I've got enough free time.

-Bill Kearney
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 1:54:05 AM

> Because now is the only time it can ask you what might be very
> complicated conflict questions.
>
> If it discovers there are conflicts with your selection it can ask you
> what to do about it. The thumb ratings will help it make a choice but
> it needs confirmation from you. There's a distinct likelihood you
> won't be near the machine when the programming might occur so it's now
> or never.

There should be no conflicts. Zero. Nada.

All the information it needs to update the to-do list is available in the
season pass list. The list is already priority ordered.
If a conflict arrises between 2 items on the season pass list, the ranking
in the season pass list itself should resolve that. If a conflict arrises
between an item on the season pass list and a scheduled recording, a
preference could dictate whether the season pass should take precidence or
the scheduled recording.

I'd prefer this kind of setup much more than the current one. I avoid
reordering season passes because it's so slow. I generally save them up,
do them all at once right before turning the TV off in the evening.
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 4:17:25 AM

Tony Rice (rtphokie@gmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> If a conflict arrises
> between an item on the season pass list and a scheduled recording, a
> preference could dictate whether the season pass should take precidence or
> the scheduled recording.

It would be nice to have a preference, but currently TiVo treats all one-off
recordings (i.e., things not controlled by the SP Manager) as item #0 on
the SP Manager list. In other words, they have the very highest priority.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/FoxTrot/TransporterError.j...
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 4:41:52 AM

"wkearney99" <wkearney99@hotmail.com> wrote in

>> What I dont understand is why this has to be done right then and now
> worked
>> on as time allows.
>
> Because now is the only time it can ask you what might be very
> complicated conflict questions.
>
> If it discovers there are conflicts with your selection it can ask you
> what to do about it. The thumb ratings will help it make a choice but
> it needs confirmation from you. There's a distinct likelihood you
> won't be near the machine when the programming might occur so it's now
> or never.
>
> That and imagine the user complaints if it 'guessed' which one to
> record and that guess wasn't what they expected. The PR costs from a
> boatload of angry customers having missed their shows would be damned
> expensive. This as opposed to having to wait a bit longer and have it
> make the RIGHT choice.
>
> Yes, I'm sure everyone would welcome it being A LOT FASTER, myself
> included. But hey, for what we pay for these boxes (cost and monthly)
> we're still gettin' a heckuva deal. I just make sure that juggling
> season passes is done when I've got enough free time.
>
> -Bill Kearney

I don't remember EVER being asked anything while it reorganizes SP's.
That's the whole point of moving them within the SP manager - the order
you place them in sets the priority. I have also wondered why it can not
perform this process in the background. Isn't TiVo running on a
multitasking/Multithreading OS?

--
Jim H
Anonymous

SINNER (99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> > It would be nice to have a preference, but currently TiVo treats all one-off
> > recordings (i.e., things not controlled by the SP Manager) as item #0 on
> > the SP Manager list. In other words, they have the very highest priority.
>
> I never realized this. So does this mean that if I have a season pass
> set to record Lost on Wednesday at 8:00 but the next episode has not
> showed up yet, during that time I schedule a movie that is in the guide,
> for the same time slot, when the Lost episode DOES make the guide, it
> will not schedule it?

Yep. If you try to schedule the movie after "Lost" is in the guide, you
get a conflict warning, but once something manual is scheduled, it's
treated as part of the priority list with no user intervention.

--
Jeff Rife | "Five thousand dollars, huh? I'll bet we could
| afford that if we pooled our money together...
| bought a gun...robbed a bank...."
| -- Drew Carey
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 5:35:49 PM

In article <Xns9665E8F8448D8jkl123iop@216.196.97.131>,
Tony Rice <rtphokie@gmail.com> wrote:

> "wkearney99" <wkearney99@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
> > Because now is the only time it can ask you what might be very
> > complicated conflict questions.
> >
> > If it discovers there are conflicts with your selection it can ask you
> > what to do about it. The thumb ratings will help it make a choice but
> > it needs confirmation from you. There's a distinct likelihood you
> > won't be near the machine when the programming might occur so it's now
> > or never.
>
> There should be no conflicts. Zero. Nada.
>
> All the information it needs to update the to-do list is available in the
> season pass list. The list is already priority ordered.
> If a conflict arrises between 2 items on the season pass list, the ranking
> in the season pass list itself should resolve that. If a conflict arrises
> between an item on the season pass list and a scheduled recording, a
> preference could dictate whether the season pass should take precidence or
> the scheduled recording.
>
> I'd prefer this kind of setup much more than the current one. I avoid
> reordering season passes because it's so slow. I generally save them up,
> do them all at once right before turning the TV off in the evening.

I ran into this last night and I was very glad of the conflict
notification. It turns out I really did want to record the two shows I
had set up and the third one could be recorded at another time. Had
Tivo assumed I really wanted the third one, I would have been pissed.

To do this automatically, Tivo would have had to check that the third
show was going to be run multiple times and schedule accordingly. That
would be nice, but conflict notification is fine.

--
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]

Tony Rice <rtphokie@gmail.com> wrote:
> There should be no conflicts. Zero. Nada.

> All the information it needs to update the to-do list is available in the
> season pass list. The list is already priority ordered.

I have seen conflicts when adding a new Season Pass. The information in
the list might change with reordering, and I can see that there would be a
confirmation question if the reordering reverses the condition that I had
to answer when adding the new season pass.

> If a conflict arrises between 2 items on the season pass list, the ranking
> in the season pass list itself should resolve that. If a conflict arrises
> between an item on the season pass list and a scheduled recording, a
> preference could dictate whether the season pass should take precidence or
> the scheduled recording.

There is a prompt when you add the item. A conflict is not automatically
resolved. You might think that it should be resolved because you have
already chose the ranking, but Tivo asks if you realize a particular
conflict has occurred.

> I'd prefer this kind of setup much more than the current one. I avoid
> reordering season passes because it's so slow. I generally save them up,
> do them all at once right before turning the TV off in the evening.

If reordering is a frequent task, another DTivo might be the best solution.
;-)

--
---
May 31, 2005 1:50:14 AM

Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote in

> In article <Xns9665E8F8448D8jkl123iop@216.196.97.131>,
> Tony Rice <rtphokie@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "wkearney99" <wkearney99@hotmail.com> wrote in
>>
>> > Because now is the only time it can ask you what might be very
>> > complicated conflict questions.
>> >
>> > If it discovers there are conflicts with your selection it can ask
>> > you what to do about it. The thumb ratings will help it make a
>> > choice but it needs confirmation from you. There's a distinct
>> > likelihood you won't be near the machine when the programming might
>> > occur so it's now or never.
>>
>> There should be no conflicts. Zero. Nada.
>>
>> All the information it needs to update the to-do list is available in
>> the season pass list. The list is already priority ordered.
>> If a conflict arrises between 2 items on the season pass list, the
>> ranking in the season pass list itself should resolve that. If a
>> conflict arrises between an item on the season pass list and a
>> scheduled recording, a preference could dictate whether the season
>> pass should take precidence or the scheduled recording.
>>
>> I'd prefer this kind of setup much more than the current one. I
>> avoid reordering season passes because it's so slow. I generally
>> save them up, do them all at once right before turning the TV off in
>> the evening.
>
> I ran into this last night and I was very glad of the conflict
> notification. It turns out I really did want to record the two shows
> I had set up and the third one could be recorded at another time. Had
> Tivo assumed I really wanted the third one, I would have been pissed.
>
> To do this automatically, Tivo would have had to check that the third
> show was going to be run multiple times and schedule accordingly.
> That would be nice, but conflict notification is fine.

And this happened during the re-shuffling of season passes?

--
Jim H
May 31, 2005 3:01:52 AM

"SINNER" <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in message
>* Jeff Rife wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>> Tony Rice (rtphokie@gmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>>> If a conflict
>>> arrises
>>> between an item on the season pass list and a scheduled recording, a
>>> preference could dictate whether the season pass should take precidence
>>> or
>>> the scheduled recording.
>
>> It would be nice to have a preference, but currently TiVo treats all
>> one-off
>> recordings (i.e., things not controlled by the SP Manager) as item #0 on
>> the SP Manager list. In other words, they have the very highest
>> priority.
>
> I never realized this. So does this mean that if I have a season pass
> set to record Lost on Wednesday at 8:00 but the next episode has not
> showed up yet, during that time I schedule a movie that is in the guide,
> for the same time slot, when the Lost episode DOES make the guide, it
> will not schedule it?

It will.

But what I think the poster to whom you responded was saying... Because LOST
is available at a later time, he/she felt it OK to not record on Wednesday.
He/she was OK with 2 other things getting recorded in the Wednesday slot
cause he knew LOST would be on at a later time. But depending entirely on
the SP priority list, it would have recorded LOST on Wednesday, ignoring the
lower priority item. By having the conflict message, he/she was able to
make a human choice and get all 3 programs.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 9:10:00 PM

Tony Rice seemed to utter in

> I've got a 105 hour DirecTiVo with plenty on it so paging through all
> those screens wasn't fun. This upgrade makes it much more useable.

I just wish all the channel settings didn't get nuked. This thing
has hundreds of gigabytes of disk space at its disposal and it
can't bother to save my channel settings between software updates?

It takes a good long while to reconfigure the channels I receive
and favorites when there are about 300 channels to wade through!

-- TRW
_______________________________________
t r w 7
at
i x dot n e t c o m dot c o m
_______________________________________
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 10:25:01 PM

"Tim Witort" <trw7at@ixdot.netcomdotcom> wrote in message news:Xns966867F731211timwitortwrotethis@207.217.125.201...
> Tony Rice seemed to utter in
>
> > I've got a 105 hour DirecTiVo with plenty on it so paging through all
> > those screens wasn't fun. This upgrade makes it much more useable.
>
> I just wish all the channel settings didn't get nuked. This thing
> has hundreds of gigabytes of disk space at its disposal and it
> can't bother to save my channel settings between software updates?
>
> It takes a good long while to reconfigure the channels I receive
> and favorites when there are about 300 channels to wade through!

If your channel selections were saved, they would be useless since
the internal channel configuration changed with the version 6.2 update.

It's probably too late to learn now, but the easiest way to configure
the channel sets is to "Uncheck all channels" in Channels You Receive,
add/select channels one at a time... then select All for the Favorites
configuration. For most people there are fewer desired channels than
unwanted channels.

The Channels You Receive list is more important since this configuration
is used for Suggestion recording. The Favorites list is useful for the guide
setting as it prevents display of a few channels which come and go daily.
June 1, 2005 10:43:59 PM

* Jack Ak Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

> "Tim Witort" <trw7at@ixdot.netcomdotcom> wrote in message
>> Tony Rice seemed to utter in
>>
>> > I've got a 105 hour DirecTiVo with plenty on it so paging
>> > through all those screens wasn't fun. This upgrade makes it
>> > much more useable.
>>
>> I just wish all the channel settings didn't get nuked. This
>> thing has hundreds of gigabytes of disk space at its disposal and
>> it can't bother to save my channel settings between software
>> updates?
>>
>> It takes a good long while to reconfigure the channels I receive
>> and favorites when there are about 300 channels to wade through!
>>

> If your channel selections were saved, they would be useless since
> the internal channel configuration changed with the version 6.2
> update.

So? Make a conversion utility. Would not have been that difficult me
thinks. Things like this are done all the time when new versions of
software create inconsistencies with existing data.

--
David
Anonymous

Jack Ak <akjack@excite.com> wrote:
> It's probably too late to learn now, but the easiest way to configure the
> channel sets is to "Uncheck all channels" in Channels You Receive,
> add/select channels one at a time... then select All for the Favorites
> configuration. For most people there are fewer desired channels than
> unwanted channels.

Not too late for me... My wife was befuddled by the empty Guide, since the
favorites were all gone. I changed the Guide to "channels you receive" and
unchecked the PPV. That's where it sits.

So, I could finish adjusting the "Channels you receive", and copy that over
to favorites, but that seems like unnecessary work. I just use the
"Receive". Too bad my three year old RCA can scan through and recognize
subscribed channels, and the DTivo can't. "Channels You Receive" is a
misnomer. It should be "Channels that could be available, but aren't
necessarily viewable with your subscriptions". That wouldn't fit in the
caption, though. The RCA also let me see the channels that me were
selecting in a P-I-P, so I could tell if I was subscribed for some of the
obscure channels that I don't bother to remember the name of... I'm looking
for titles and descriptions when I surf the guide, not channel names and
numbers.

> The Channels You Receive list is more important since this configuration
> is used for Suggestion recording. The Favorites list is useful for the
> guide setting as it prevents display of a few channels which come and go
> daily.

Is it also used for wishlists? I was keeping my "Receive" cleaned up, but
stopped doing that, and only adjusted the favorites. I was getting
auto-wishlists hits for sports on sportschannels that I don't receive.

I consider the favorites list useless. It might be handy for something,
but I haven't figured out what.

--
---
June 2, 2005 5:55:01 AM

<dold@XReXXDirec.usenet.us.com> wrote in message news:D 7l73c$es7$1@blue.rahul.net...
> Jack Ak <akjack@excite.com> wrote:
> > It's probably too late to learn now, but the easiest way to configure the
> > channel sets is to "Uncheck all channels" in Channels You Receive,
> > add/select channels one at a time... then select All for the Favorites
> > configuration. For most people there are fewer desired channels than
> > unwanted channels.
>
> Not too late for me... My wife was befuddled by the empty Guide, since the
> favorites were all gone. I changed the Guide to "channels you receive" and
> unchecked the PPV. That's where it sits.
>
> So, I could finish adjusting the "Channels you receive", and copy that over
> to favorites, but that seems like unnecessary work. I just use the
> "Receive". Too bad my three year old RCA can scan through and recognize
> subscribed channels, and the DTivo can't. "Channels You Receive" is a
> misnomer. It should be "Channels that could be available, but aren't
> necessarily viewable with your subscriptions". That wouldn't fit in the
> caption, though. The RCA also let me see the channels that me were
> selecting in a P-I-P, so I could tell if I was subscribed for some of the
> obscure channels that I don't bother to remember the name of... I'm looking
> for titles and descriptions when I surf the guide, not channel names and
> numbers.
>
> > The Channels You Receive list is more important since this configuration
> > is used for Suggestion recording. The Favorites list is useful for the
> > guide setting as it prevents display of a few channels which come and go
> > daily.
>
> Is it also used for wishlists? I was keeping my "Receive" cleaned up, but
> stopped doing that, and only adjusted the favorites. I was getting
> auto-wishlists hits for sports on sportschannels that I don't receive.
>
> I consider the favorites list useless. It might be handy for something,
> but I haven't figured out what.

Favorites will never pick up shopping and barker channels that get added/removed
on a daily basis. The Channels You Receive list is dynamically modified by DirecTV,
while Favorites is managed by the user and is rarely cleared during a software update.

I counted channels after setting up my wife's DVR with version 6.2 the tedious way.
There are about 100 channels in Favorites (all checked) from selected channels
in Channels You Receive. Select only the channels you will watch in "Channels You Receive"
after "Unselect all channels"; then "Select all channels" in Favorite Channels setup.

One of the nicest additions in version 6.2 is jump to beginning of Live Buffer;
press Back (rewind), then Advance for skip to the live buffer start point.
I have yet to find where this new feature is documented.
June 2, 2005 8:23:24 PM

dold@XReXXDirec.usenet.us.com wrote:
> Jack Ak <akjack@excite.com> wrote:
>> It's probably too late to learn now, but the easiest way to configure the
>> channel sets is to "Uncheck all channels" in Channels You Receive,
>> add/select channels one at a time... then select All for the Favorites
>> configuration. For most people there are fewer desired channels than
>> unwanted channels.
>
> Not too late for me... My wife was befuddled by the empty Guide, since the
> favorites were all gone. I changed the Guide to "channels you receive" and
> unchecked the PPV. That's where it sits.
>
> So, I could finish adjusting the "Channels you receive", and copy that over
> to favorites, but that seems like unnecessary work. I just use the
> "Receive". Too bad my three year old RCA can scan through and recognize
> subscribed channels, and the DTivo can't. "Channels You Receive" is a
> misnomer. It should be "Channels that could be available, but aren't
> necessarily viewable with your subscriptions". That wouldn't fit in the
> caption, though. The RCA also let me see the channels that me were
> selecting in a P-I-P, so I could tell if I was subscribed for some of the
> obscure channels that I don't bother to remember the name of... I'm looking
> for titles and descriptions when I surf the guide, not channel names and
> numbers.

I also miss some of the features of the old RCA box. The PIP you mention and
details of the movie you are watching. Actors, director, run-time, release date
etc.

>> The Channels You Receive list is more important since this configuration
>> is used for Suggestion recording. The Favorites list is useful for the
>> guide setting as it prevents display of a few channels which come and go
>> daily.
>
> Is it also used for wishlists? I was keeping my "Receive" cleaned up, but
> stopped doing that, and only adjusted the favorites. I was getting
> auto-wishlists hits for sports on sportschannels that I don't receive.
>
> I consider the favorites list useless. It might be handy for something,
> but I haven't figured out what.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 9:55:01 PM

"DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote in message news:0oGne.1682$RV5.1606@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...

> dold@XReXXDirec.usenet.us.com wrote:
> > Jack Ak <akjack@excite.com> wrote:
> >> It's probably too late to learn now, but the easiest way to configure the
> >> channel sets is to "Uncheck all channels" in Channels You Receive,
> >> add/select channels one at a time... then select All for the Favorites
> >> configuration. For most people there are fewer desired channels than
> >> unwanted channels.
> >
> > Not too late for me... My wife was befuddled by the empty Guide, since the
> > favorites were all gone. I changed the Guide to "channels you receive" and
> > unchecked the PPV. That's where it sits.
> >
> > So, I could finish adjusting the "Channels you receive", and copy that over
> > to favorites, but that seems like unnecessary work. I just use the
> > "Receive". Too bad my three year old RCA can scan through and recognize
> > subscribed channels, and the DTivo can't. "Channels You Receive" is a
> > misnomer. It should be "Channels that could be available, but aren't
> > necessarily viewable with your subscriptions". That wouldn't fit in the
> > caption, though. The RCA also let me see the channels that me were
> > selecting in a P-I-P, so I could tell if I was subscribed for some of the
> > obscure channels that I don't bother to remember the name of... I'm looking
> > for titles and descriptions when I surf the guide, not channel names and
> > numbers.
> >

> I also miss some of the features of the old RCA box. The PIP you mention and
> details of the movie you are watching. Actors, director, run-time, release date
> etc.

Some details about programs are available from the program info screen.
Press select on a line item in Now Playing, then press Info (or Display) to see
Program Details.

You can do the same key presses on programs not yet recorded. Find a movie
in the program guide, press record, on the next screen select Season Pass
& other options. On the Upcoming Program screen press Info.

Program Details is available on all DirecTV DVR independent of software versions.

When you can pause the current program and switch tuners, PIP loses some of its appeal.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 9:55:02 PM

Jack Ak (akjack@excite.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> You can do the same key presses on programs not yet recorded. Find a movie
> in the program guide, press record, on the next screen select Season Pass
> & other options. On the Upcoming Program screen press Info.

I really wish there was a way to get this screen from the guide without
going in to the "I want to record this" menu, since that causes live TV to
go to the end of the buffer.

--
Jeff Rife | "A rabbit's foot? You slaughtered an innocent
| animal for some silly superstition?"
| "I didn't personally slaughter the rabbit. I shot
| a giant panda out of a tree, and he fell on it."
| -- "Cybill"
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 11:10:27 PM

Jack Ak <akjack@excite.com> wrote:

> When you can pause the current program and switch tuners, PIP loses some
> of its appeal.

I was specifically referring to using PIP while selecting channels in the
setup mode. Otherwise, I have to run through the channels live, making a
written (gack) list of which ones I want, and then transcribing that list
into the rather unintelligent setup screen.

--
---
June 3, 2005 12:50:43 AM

dold@XReXXDirec.usenet.us.com wrote in news:D 7nlj3$ia9$3@blue.rahul.net:

> Jack Ak <akjack@excite.com> wrote:
>
>> When you can pause the current program and switch tuners, PIP loses
>> some of its appeal.
>
> I was specifically referring to using PIP while selecting channels in
> the setup mode. Otherwise, I have to run through the channels live,
> making a written (gack) list of which ones I want, and then
> transcribing that list into the rather unintelligent setup screen.

I know - that is a pain in the ass. I wish there was a menu item you
could select after hitting "Info" while watching live TV that says
"Remove this channel from Favorites" so that you wouldn't have to go to
the edit channels menu just to remove a channel. At the very least,
there should be a description of what the channel is in the channel edit
menu.

--
Jim H
June 3, 2005 1:46:22 AM

* Jeff Rife Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

> Jack Ak (akjack@excite.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>> You can do the same key presses on programs not yet recorded.
>> Find a movie in the program guide, press record, on the next
>> screen select Season Pass & other options. On the Upcoming
>> Program screen press Info.
>
> I really wish there was a way to get this screen from the guide
> without going in to the "I want to record this" menu, since that
> causes live TV to go to the end of the buffer.

Pause first.

--
David
Anonymous

SINNER (arcade.master@googlemail.net) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> > I really wish there was a way to get this screen from the guide
> > without going in to the "I want to record this" menu, since that
> > causes live TV to go to the end of the buffer.
> >

> Pause first.

I know, but I usually forget.

--
Jeff Rife | "A rabbit's foot? You slaughtered an innocent
| animal for some silly superstition?"
| "I didn't personally slaughter the rabbit. I shot
| a giant panda out of a tree, and he fell on it."
| -- "Cybill"
June 3, 2005 4:45:50 AM

* Jeff Rife wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> SINNER (arcade.master@googlemail.net) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>> > I really wish there was a way to get this screen from the guide
>> > without going in to the "I want to record this" menu, since that
>> > causes live TV to go to the end of the buffer.

>> Pause first.

> I know, but I usually forget.

Me too ;)

--
David
Yeah. Maybe I do have the right ... What's that stuff?

-- Homer Simpson
Deep Space Homer
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 5:24:59 AM

"Jeff Rife" <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote in message news:MPG.1d096a12e9e0c3a5989da9@news.nabs.net...
> SINNER (arcade.master@googlemail.net) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> > > I really wish there was a way to get this screen from the guide
> > > without going in to the "I want to record this" menu, since that
> > > causes live TV to go to the end of the buffer.
> > >

> > Pause first.
>
> I know, but I usually forget.

In that case you will appreciate the advance to beginning
of live buffer which was added in the version 6.2 DVR software.

The advance button will now do a "skip" to either end of the live buffer.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 5:25:00 AM

Jack Ak (akjack@excite.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> In that case you will appreciate the advance to beginning
> of live buffer which was added in the version 6.2 DVR software.

I really would if I expected that software anytime soon. My HDVR2 already
has it, but I generally only watch live TV on the HR10-250, because only
HD live TV is worth it. There's no timeframe for the HD units to get 6.x.

--
Jeff Rife | Coach: How's life, Norm?

| Norm: Not for the squeamish, Coach.
June 3, 2005 6:30:34 AM

Jack Ak wrote:
> "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote in message
>>

>> dold@XReXXDirec.usenet.us.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Not too late for me... My wife was befuddled by the empty Guide, since the
>>> favorites were all gone. I changed the Guide to "channels you receive" and
>>> unchecked the PPV. That's where it sits.
>>>
>>> So, I could finish adjusting the "Channels you receive", and copy that over
>>> to favorites, but that seems like unnecessary work. I just use the
>>> "Receive". Too bad my three year old RCA can scan through and recognize
>>> subscribed channels, and the DTivo can't. "Channels You Receive" is a
>>> misnomer. It should be "Channels that could be available, but aren't
>>> necessarily viewable with your subscriptions". That wouldn't fit in the
>>> caption, though. The RCA also let me see the channels that me were
>>> selecting in a P-I-P, so I could tell if I was subscribed for some of the
>>> obscure channels that I don't bother to remember the name of... I'm looking
>>> for titles and descriptions when I surf the guide, not channel names and
>>> numbers.
>>>

>> I also miss some of the features of the old RCA box. The PIP you mention and
>> details of the movie you are watching. Actors, director, run-time, release
>> date etc.

> Some details about programs are available from the program info screen.
> Press select on a line item in Now Playing, then press Info (or Display) to
> see
> Program Details.
>
> You can do the same key presses on programs not yet recorded. Find a movie
> in the program guide, press record, on the next screen select Season Pass
> & other options. On the Upcoming Program screen press Info.

I'll be darned. But you do have to press a few buttons to get there.

> Program Details is available on all DirecTV DVR independent of software
> versions.
>
> When you can pause the current program and switch tuners, PIP loses some of
> its appeal.
June 4, 2005 9:02:16 AM

I have a DTivo that shipped with ver 6.1 so I'm not like a lot of you poor souls
waiting forever for the upgrade. What is the big deal with it taking so long to
get this upgrade out to folks. From reading these posts it's like they are
sending it to one person at a time. Technically... how do they get the upgrades
to the boxes? How large in MBs is the file they send? Seems to me they could use
the bandwidth of just one channel and loop the darn thing. They could send you a
message and say "the upgrade is available... select upgrade now". Go to bed and
let it happen.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 8:25:01 PM

"DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote in message news:sBaoe.5602$Ag1.2898@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...
> I have a DTivo that shipped with ver 6.1 so I'm not like a lot of you poor souls
> waiting forever for the upgrade. What is the big deal with it taking so long to
> get this upgrade out to folks. From reading these posts it's like they are
> sending it to one person at a time. Technically... how do they get the upgrades
> to the boxes? How large in MBs is the file they send? Seems to me they could use
> the bandwidth of just one channel and loop the darn thing. They could send you a
> message and say "the upgrade is available... select upgrade now". Go to bed and
> let it happen.

The v. 6.2 upgrade files have been sitting on the DVR's disk for a number of weeks
after an automatic download from satellite. There was a geographic area selected for
early evaluation and a number of customers in that area received the version 6.2 update.

Reportedly 100,000 DVRs have been added each day to the update queue starting
May 16. The upgrade process is completely automatic and requires no action from
the DVR owner. There is no need to send messages to request user involvement
in the upgrade process. The "poor souls" you mentioned are those who think
they must have the upgrade now. Unfortunately, too many people don't read
on-screen messages and will call customer support people to find out why
the channel up/down buttons don't work from the remote control.
June 4, 2005 10:50:31 PM

Jack Ak wrote:
> "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote in message
>> I have a DTivo that shipped with ver 6.1 so I'm not like a lot of you poor
>> souls waiting forever for the upgrade. What is the big deal with it taking
>> so long to get this upgrade out to folks. From reading these posts it's like
>> they are sending it to one person at a time. Technically... how do they get
>> the upgrades to the boxes? How large in MBs is the file they send? Seems to
>> me they could use the bandwidth of just one channel and loop the darn thing.
>> They could send you a message and say "the upgrade is available... select
>> upgrade now". Go to bed and let it happen.
>>

> The v. 6.2 upgrade files have been sitting on the DVR's disk for a number of
> weeks
> after an automatic download from satellite. There was a geographic area
> selected for
> early evaluation and a number of customers in that area received the version
> 6.2 update.
>
> Reportedly 100,000 DVRs have been added each day to the update queue starting
> May 16. The upgrade process is completely automatic and requires no action
> from
> the DVR owner. There is no need to send messages to request user involvement
> in the upgrade process. The "poor souls" you mentioned are those who think
> they must have the upgrade now. Unfortunately, too many people don't read
> on-screen messages and will call customer support people to find out why
> the channel up/down buttons don't work from the remote control.

If the 6.2 upgrade files are sitting on everyone's DVR why the delay or slow
roll-out of the installation. Is TIVO worried about bugs and needs to watch for
feedback? Is there a technical reason people with the files have to wait for the
install to happen?
Sorry... but I didn't get the comment about up/down channel buttons not working.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 10:50:32 PM

DanR (dhr22@sorrynospm.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> If the 6.2 upgrade files are sitting on everyone's DVR why the delay or slow
> roll-out of the installation.

Because the user interface is slightly different, and they want to avoid
a bunch of support phone calls all on the same day.

> Sorry... but I didn't get the comment about up/down channel buttons not working.

Because the internal database changed, the "Channels I Receive" and
"Favorites" lists get nuked. The first is set back to every channel, since
although it might record a couple of things via ARWL that the user doesn't
want, it *will* record everything the user actually wanted. But, they
chose to set "Favorites" empty instead of to every channel. Since most
people use "Favorites" in the guide, with no channels, you can't change
to the "next" channel, since there is none.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Dilbert/CoWorker.gif
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 2:54:58 AM

"DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote in message news:XJmoe.5677$Ag1.4386@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...

> If the 6.2 upgrade files are sitting on everyone's DVR why the delay or slow
> roll-out of the installation. Is TIVO worried about bugs and needs to watch for
> feedback? Is there a technical reason people with the files have to wait for the
> install to happen?

A software update to all customers at one time can have unexpected consequences.
The slow rollout can lessen the impact of an unknown problem.

Glitch hits DirecTV TiVo boxes
http://news.com.com/Glitch+hits+DirecTV+TiVo+boxes/2100...

First two paragraphs from above (July 28, 2004):

"A software glitch is freezing playback of stored shows on some
DirecTV boxes that access TiVo's digital video recorder service."

"The glitch apparently is caused by a software upgrade, version 3.1.0c,
that was first downloaded by DirecTV TiVo set top boxes earlier this month,
according to postings to a number of TiVo community sites."
.... end of quotation.

This problem affected users with a particular multi-switch brand more than others.
The version 3.1.0c2... software update a month or so later cured the problem
for those who had not already received a replacement DVR from DirecTV.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:21:34 AM

I noticed after my upgrade that the clock is running behind. At first it was
about a minute, now it's about 20 to 30 seconds.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 6:25:01 AM

"SciFier" <scifier@nospam.com> wrote in message news:h8mdnQDPMfkDaznfRVn-vQ@speakeasy.net...
> I noticed after my upgrade that the clock is running behind. At first it was
> about a minute, now it's about 20 to 30 seconds.

That problem is not related to the version 6.2 software. DirecTV has
a problem with DVR clocks. Dynamic bandwidth signal processing can delay
transmission of satellite signals which include time of day clocks.
This will occur with local channels spot beam transponders, but is also observed
on national transponders. It occurs when a transponder's maximum bandwidth
is temporarily exceeded and the transponder data stream is buffered.
DVR clocks being 30 seconds slow is not uncommon.
!