Sign in with
Your question

ATI Graphic Card

Last response: in CPUs
December 4, 2009 8:30:38 AM

Hi I'm Steve...I'm having HP Compaq Presario SR1732IL...

Base processor:-
*Pentium4 524 (P) HT 3.06 GHz
* 533 MHz front side bus
* Socket 775

Chipset:- ATI Radeon Xpress 200 for Intel Processors.

Motherboard:-
*Manufacturer : ECS
*Motherboard Name : RC410-M
*HP/Compaq motherboard name: Asterope-GL8E.

Since its chipset is ATI Radeon Xpress 200 for Intel Processors is it essential to install ATI Radeon graphics card...?

It has a single PCI EXPRESS X16 slot.

1.Can i use PCI EXPRESS 2.0 graphics card?

2. I need to know which is the best graphics card i could install in my cpu for best visual and graphical performance while playing HD games and HD movies & graphics.

3. Since i have planed to buy a FULL HD (1920 X1080 resolution) "LG M227WA" or "LG M237WA" LCD Monitor cum TV which has "2 HDMI input ports, 1 DVI-D Input(PC), 1 RGB Input (PC), 1 Component Input, 1 RF Antenna input" & etc.....

Tell me a best graphics card with HDMI, DVI-D & several of those ports.

Please reply soon. Im eager to buy it soon.

More about : ati graphic card

a c 159 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 11:29:33 AM

What PSU do you have?

1- No, your mobo only support PCI-E x16

2- This is the max graphic card that you can install: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

3- The GPU tha i said to you have: 1xDVI, 1xD-SUB and 1xHDMI

P.D. Personally, think in build another PC, if you can install a PCI-E x16 2.0, the GPU could be limited by the CPU and RAM. Also you need think in the PSU 'cause usually HP install generic PSU.

Maybe you don't see a good performance in HD games, the performance is a combination of CPU, GPU and RAM.

P.D. The chipset ATI or nVidia is only necessary if you think in a CrossFire-X(X-FIRE) or SLI
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 11:14:52 PM

Ignore what saint19 said about that being the best card you could possibly install, or that your limited to PCI-E x16 cards only. PCI-E 2.0 is backward compaitible with PCI-E x16.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pci-express-2.0,1915.html

Above link is a review of PCI-E 2.0 that was done here on this website, and in the opening paragraph you will see that it is backward compatible.

If your still using the stock power supply that came with your computer, you'll be very limited to options due to the power consumption of most video cards, about the most powerful card you would have access to is a radeon 4670. Also it wouldn't really make sense to spend much more money than that on anything more powerful, since even that card will be limited by the P4 in modern games. If you go to newegg.com you can pick up a 4670 for around $65-$75 depending on what brand/specific card you want.
m
l
Related resources
a c 209 à CPUs
a c 201 U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 11:21:26 PM

1. You can use PCI-E 1.x or 2.0 graphics cards, they are backwards and fowards compatible and running a PCI-E 2.0 card in a PCI-E 1.0 slot wont even bottleneck the card, the addition bandwidth is primarily needed for the dual GPU cards.

2. To know the options, we need to know your PSU and your budget. If you are willing to upgrade your PSU you have significantly more options but it also heavily depends on your budget.

3. Any graphics card you find today will have atleast 1 DVI port which you can connect to that monitor so connection isnt really an issue. However, the high resolution of that monitor will require a stronger card or lower detail settings to provide the same frame rates as a monitor with lower resolution would.
m
l
December 5, 2009 6:16:46 AM

Thanks Hunter315.........

Thanks for the info.
But how can i know about PSU of my Compaq presario SR1732IL.
Where should i Search it for.
m
l
December 5, 2009 7:04:22 AM

lstephen said:

Thanks for the info.

click "computer" and look at system info you will get te model number google the model number or simply go to the hp/compaq website and put the model number there you desktop will come up and you will have the option to view all the specifications you need....more than liley you have a 250-300 watts generic power supply most compaq2s come with that especially considering your specs, your best shot would be an hd 4650, it consumes very little power, does not require pci e power connectors and can fit in just about any standard case, plus it does not run hot almost all hd radeon cards in the 4xxx series come with hdmi, several models of the 4650 come with hdmi also

...by the way since yours is a 775 socket please try to upgrade processor it is not proper for an individual to be running a p4 in 2009, don't do this to yourself lol....nah i am just kiidding lol....but if you can upgrade to at least a dual core or even an older core 2 dup cpu please do you will be much happier
m
l
December 5, 2009 7:09:05 AM

lstephen said:

Thanks for the info.

click "computer" and look at system info you will get te model number google the model number or simply go to the hp/compaq website and put the model number there you desktop will come up and you will have the option to view all the specifications you need....
m
l
December 5, 2009 10:06:25 AM

lstephen said:
Hi I'm Steve...I'm having HP Compaq Presario SR1732IL...

Base processor:-
*Pentium4 524 (P) HT 3.06 GHz
* 533 MHz front side bus
* Socket 775

Chipset:- ATI Radeon Xpress 200 for Intel Processors.

Motherboard:-
*Manufacturer : ECS
*Motherboard Name : RC410-M
*HP/Compaq motherboard name: Asterope-GL8E.

Since its chipset is ATI Radeon Xpress 200 for Intel Processors is it essential to install ATI Radeon graphics card...?

It has a single PCI EXPRESS X16 slot.

1.Can i use PCI EXPRESS 2.0 graphics card?

2. I need to know which is the best graphics card i could install in my cpu for best visual and graphical performance while playing HD games and HD movies & graphics.

3. Since i have planed to buy a FULL HD (1920 X1080 resolution) "LG M227WA" or "LG M237WA" LCD Monitor cum TV which has "2 HDMI input ports, 1 DVI-D Input(PC), 1 RGB Input (PC), 1 Component Input, 1 RF Antenna input" & etc.....

Tell me a best graphics card with HDMI, DVI-D & several of those ports.

Please reply soon. Im eager to buy it soon.

Hiya All,

I think we all need to ask you some basic questions so we can get an of what you have specifically as I can not find the complete specs anywhere online! And it by specs is rather old which is why I couldn't find even a used one for sale so I could find specs, PSU (Power supply) I'd guess is in 350 to 400 watt range from your specs and it's age. but it's on the one side inside a box outline.

My questions may seem not an answer you want, but it's hard to imagine those specs being a PC anyone would end up advising upgrading. The only reason you may wish not to "replace" it is your data, so I'd begin backing up.

(We all hate moving our files over, and some programs you may have lost the install disk to so loose it unless it's a common one, I'm talking about a video game for example.)

As to your questions which is really one we need to know your PSU and really model as a Compaq uses inexpensive parts, and a PSU's all have a range of qualities we really need to ballpark too. But yes a PCI 2 is backwards compatible so would be okay IF the PSU handles it and if the throughput is handles by the motherboard a likely yes too, actual card need a Budget!

(I use HD4870X2 & have 2 HD5970s PreOrdered for evaluation, so I'd have to check prices and specs of slower cards. Not getting a DX11 Video card of the highest speed you can afford would be a shame, but you may have to buy a "Dell" bargain with power to upgrade to a DX11 Card later (Ideally get at least an HD5700 series or faster in the new DX11 family.

(DX11 is the DX level that will finally replace DX8 as what's std for games)

My reason for asking the Questions is to help you get the most for your money, which is very likely to be to change to another PC. Best Price Ratio is usually a person selling a recent build they replaced, but there you do possibly deal with problems they do not tell you about. Next best and ideal i if you can find a Dell model or whatever Brand being sold in a sealed box new.

(Some come with a Monitor making budget larger!)

Here I/we primarily need your budget for the upgrade in total, to see if that'll even be feasible, meaning for your total amount planning to spend for the new Video Card, Power Supply and anything else planning. (Please include all items not bought yet (And if still boxed include as it could be resold, for example a new DVD Burner and/or bigger drive may likely be an upgrade also)).

Include shipping Costs planned for and if you'd spend more if got more since most swaps to another PC would include not only small upgrades, but I'd guess would end up with a CPU 3 to 5 times faster too as an example.

Extremes of Ranges recently but then I Build:

Lowest: About 18 months ago a similar PC adding the biggest video card it overall could tolerate while had it open for a nephew , the video card was fine then a big improvement but was not nearly as fast as you want and need now.

Highest: New builds exist but run at least double the cost of a high volume existing PC being sold off like a sealed Dell. I'm finishing a PC Build for my Retired Mom. It uses many used parts off ebay so is overkill. But opened and old used evaluation parts laying around from evaluations a year ago cost me nothing while giving her more than she needs. Example CPU's an AMD Phenom Quad from an evaluation and it's motherboard and ram, even had the 300GB VelociRaptor plus a 500GB 2nd drive left over, a new750 watt was all I bought besides Vista 64 bit and Norton but her video card from an evaluaion is an HD4850X2 so did have to buy a new 750 watt PSU.

Sorry I always write too much!

Please provide your budget as you now plan, plus as I said if could go any higher at all and how much if you got a lot more than a simple video card upgrade. (Include Monitor planned budget too)

Dane
m
l
December 5, 2009 12:18:35 PM

Steve

I assume you buy one Ebay? A quick check of the LG 23" Monitor did not respond with very good reviews, I stumbled on a more rare card a year ago and have 2 of the 1 yr old BenQ 24"monitors which work and look great like new still. I checked and a guy is selling 3 of what reviews I checked say is BenQ's brand new 24" model ($500 List but he says paid $400 online, is having to change all 3 for some reason two left not even opened. I placed a $201 bid on both and doubt they will go for much over $250 since few look for them. A bargain and I Highly recommend them!

I took a quick look at the new 5000 series ATI slower cards, the HD5770 has 1GB GDDR5 ram and looked like it went for only around $200 and is still pretty fast. The next I know of well is the HD5850 but selling near $400 which is the list price of the HD5870. There is a shortage of the GPU chips used in both the 5800 and 5900 models, they use same GPUs but the HD5970 I am trying to get uses Dual GPUs.

If you build or have built I have a favorite CPU I am using now myself, it's no longer sold new much on ebay rare used ones which are as good as new if Intel. It's the QX9770 the only 1600 FSB Quad ever made, I love it and was a $1000 CPU at low $400s now. It uses a X48 chipset motherboard also much cheaper now and if stay with DDR2 ram it is cheap. The QX9770 runs 3.2Ghz stock but I OC all of them at 4Ghz with a Zalmon CNPS9700 cooler.

Sorry likely getting out of your budget range both building and with better parts.

Dane
m
l
!