Your question

Windows 7 Memory Diagnostics detected "Hardware problems" with new RAM

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Windows 7
  • RAM
Last response: in Memory
March 3, 2010 11:49:39 PM

Bought the PNY PC2-5300 2x2gb memory sticks to accompany my two corsair 1gb sticks next to them for a sum of 6 gb of ram.

They worked fine, didn't seem to find any problems with them, no freezes or anything and my Windows 7 64-bit system detected them just fine.

Problem is that I ran a memory diagnostic test with these on, every time, even after unplugging and plugging them back in each time, the error : "Hardware problems were detected. To identify and repair these problems, you need to contact the computer manufacturer".

Removal of this ram and running the diagnostic again shows no problems, so it's definitely this ram's fault.

Should I return this, even though there has so far been no problem? Or is this a disaster waiting to happen down the road, and I should send these back as soon as possible?

What should my move be here? Thank you again for any help you can give me!

More about : windows memory diagnostics detected hardware problems ram

March 4, 2010 3:24:27 AM

Run memtest86 and leave it overnight and see if that gets any errors, if not i wouldnt worry bout it. In personal experience if it says its wrong but it works fine, the software is prob glitched
m
l
March 4, 2010 4:14:59 AM

I have tried to run Memtest86.

The version 3.5 doesn't support anything over 4gb.

The 3.4a which DOES apparently doesn't support 64-bit Windows.

Windows Memory Diagnostic has so far been the only thing I've found to have worked. Is there any other way to test if my memory is a potential problem?

m
l
Related resources
March 4, 2010 4:27:08 AM

Hang on, just realized that I may have been trying another version of memtest86, I will be trying this model right now. http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
m
l
March 4, 2010 5:48:40 AM

Ok, tell us how it goes :) 
m
l
March 4, 2010 1:22:10 PM

Seems to me that the computer has found quite a few errors (at the time, it's been finding some more since I took the picture):

http://i.imgur.com/Fcliq.jpg

So, both tests show that something could be wrong with the RAM. Would it be defective, or is the brand the problem with these tests?

Would the working corsair memory be clashing with the PNY memory?

I'm not sure if I have much time to return these, I may need to make my decision before the end of the week. :( 
m
l
March 5, 2010 1:20:12 AM

Try it with just the PNY sticks, there could well be a compatability issue with the two brands...
Or as i already said i think, i wouldnt worry bout it too much if every application is running fine
m
l
March 10, 2010 8:46:25 AM

I recently returned the memory and got new ones, now I have a new set of problems. Therefore, I guess this is solved :p 
m
l
March 11, 2010 5:09:45 AM

haha good and bad news... whats the new problems?
m
l
March 12, 2010 2:21:46 AM

Tried to run my 1066mhz memory at its highest speed, kept getting BSOD, so I switched it back to 800mhz. It's still good memory, but I've wish I could use it at top speed. Perhaps my motherboard wasn't made for it :( 
m
l
March 12, 2010 10:49:55 PM

Try upping the voltage for it a bit?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 5, 2012 7:48:11 AM

Hey guys,I've got a 2 GB RAM,not sure about the brand though. I was rating my system with windows 7,when suddenly system got restarted,reporting a blue screen error.I heard it was the trouble with RAM,so I ran Memory Diagnostic Tool.It said,Hardware Problems detected,I need to contact the manufacturer.
I was wondering what the problem is.Should I get the RAM changed...?
Please help me understand the problem.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 5, 2012 8:13:57 AM

The program CPU-Z can help you identify the RAM, and most companies warrant it for life.

I'm guessing your RAM, like the PNY and Corsair, consists of rebranded chips, which are known to be of low quality, and the quality may be worse than ever for DDR2, due to its high cost and short supply.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 5, 2012 9:47:46 AM

bryanl said:
The program CPU-Z can help you identify the RAM, and most companies warrant it for life.

I'm guessing your RAM, like the PNY and Corsair, consists of rebranded chips, which are known to be of low quality, and the quality may be worse than ever for DDR2, due to its high cost and short supply.

It's a DDR3. So,should I replace the RAM? Are you sure the restarting is due to the trouble with RAM...? This has occured before,when I played a 1080p video,while copying a game from CD....
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 11, 2012 5:25:16 PM

bryanl said:

Thanks dude.In fact,it was the trouble with the RAM.Why,the last day,I got everything messed up. I got my OS crashed,system boot failure,telling that the "ntfs.sys" file and "kernel" is missing or corrupt. I tried to reinstall the OS.But my attempt proved to be in vain,as I failed to get ANY OF THE OS installed. The RAM I had was,something called 'DYNET',which I never had heard before. But now that I've got a Corsair 4GB. And I'm quite satisfied with it,and everything is going smooth.
Thanks anyway for your help.
m
l
!