I7-2600k maximum memory usage ?

CYT

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
I will be running some memory-intensive softwares (FEM software) on my new gaming rig using i7-2600k cpu with 16gb ram installed on gigabyte ga-z68x-ud7-b3 board. I understand from intel specification that the maximum memory size for this cpu is 32 gb. If the FEM software requires more than 32gb (say. 50gb) ram to run an analysis, will it then run into problem on the 64bit windows 7 platform. Windows 7 x64 can support up to 192gb ram. In this case, will the 64bit OS allocate about 34gb harddisk space as virtual memory for the FEM software to run the analysis, or will it be limited to 32 gb limit imposed by the cpu. I'm a bit confused about this. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Do I need a xeon type processor if I need very high memory allocation (including harddisk space as virtual ram) for cases > 32 gb usage ?

Solution
No, the pagefile (on the hard drive) will keep expanding until you run out of space on the disk.

Ideally, you want enough RAM, because pagefile is slow.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
It will limit to 32GB due to the CPU/motherboard. Actually using more memory will probably require a multi-CPU setup from the likes of Intel Xeon or the AMD counterpart (can't think of the name now, I apologize).

Also, 50GB RAM usage: Respect... ;)

EDIT: To clear up: The usable, physical RAM will probably be limited, but I don't think there's a limit to be placed on the page file, as amdfangirl said.

CYT

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011

Yes indeed, pagefile is slow. If I have the cash, I will build a 192gb ram workstation machine. Thank you for your response.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

You can buy an SSD and set it to act as the cache/page file instead of the native HDD?

CYT

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011

Yes that is what I'm planning to do. So from your earlier response, am I correct to say that the maximum amount of memory (including pagefile size) the system will allow me to use is limited to 32gb, even though x64 OS can support up to 192 gb and the FEM software won't be allowed to access more than 32gb ?

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
^ This, I'm not sure about. I know the actual RAM (installed on the motherboard) will be limited regardless of how much you put in, but I cannot comment on the page file. Remember also that the page file isn't used in the same way as actual RAM, it is used more to store RAM data that is least likely to be used, so it's not exactly the same. Caching from an SSD falls somewhere between the two uses, RAM and PF.

CYT

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011

OK. Thanks anyway. I think I will just need to install the FEM software and run it to see if it can use more than 32gb data size.

CYT

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
I have installed the FEM software on my machine, and yes the 64bit OS can allocate more than 32gb of combined ram and virtual memory (i.e pagefile) for the FEM program to solve my 50gb data size problem. By the way, I just installed a OCZ agility 240gb ssd drive to act as cache/pagefile to speed things up, but still it takes about 6 hours to solve one simple linear problem. Thank Toxxyc and amdfangirl for your response.