Sign in with
Your question

Need recommendations for stylish new case!!

Last response: in Components
December 4, 2009 8:58:37 AM

Hi all,

I currently have an Antec p182 (special edition). Its a nice case but unfortunately the side panel is broken and wont go back on so all my internal organs are exposed!! :facepalm:

So I need a new case!! Something stylish! I have been drawn to the Antec 902 and 1200 as I like of the idea of the power/restart buttons being on top of the case as I usually have my case on the floor next to my chair! However, I am not entirely sure about the blue lights everywhere! This may get annoying at night! Maybe its not big deal?

Anyway, I am looking for something stylish but also easy to work with. Something that will have room for future upgrades!!

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions!! :thumbsup:
a c 248 ) Power supply
December 4, 2009 11:22:17 AM

The Antec Twelve Hundred is a classic case that you buy and keep for years. Ventilation, airflow, and cooling are excellent. Expandability is excellent.

The Antec Nine Hundred series is hands down the most popular case with hardcore gamers.
December 4, 2009 12:02:02 PM

The corsair obisidian 800D is what i would call stylish, but the Antec 1200 is certainly a better performer in terms of cooling.

Personally I'd go with the Corsair, I think the Antec 1200 looks a bit like an arcade machine with all those lights, just my opinion
Related resources
December 4, 2009 4:11:20 PM

Yea the Obisdian looks pretty nice. Not too OTT and not too bland!

a c 248 ) Power supply
December 4, 2009 4:18:14 PM

The downside - $289.00 in the USA.
December 4, 2009 5:02:05 PM

yeah shes a beast, but costs alot, almost twice as much as the antec 1200

But just look at it, amazing!

I have to recommend my current case, the CoolerMaster HAF 932, no where near as stylish as the Corsair, but for cooling performance, its second to none
a b ) Power supply
December 4, 2009 7:12:42 PM

Stylish? Go Lian Li or Silverstone

Practical yet good-looking? Antec 902 or 1200
December 4, 2009 7:16:29 PM

This thread is impossible because everyone has different tastes, its just down to the person buying the case to decide whether its stylish.
a c 139 ) Power supply
December 4, 2009 7:23:32 PM

dublindude said:
So I need a new case!! Something stylish! I have been drawn to the Antec 902 and 1200 as I like of the idea of the power/restart buttons being on top of the case as I usually have my case on the floor next to my chair! However, I am not entirely sure about the blue lights everywhere! This may get annoying at night! Maybe its not big deal?

All the fans have LED on / off switches as well as 3 speed switched for rear fans and variable speed knobs for front ones
a b ) Power supply
December 4, 2009 10:42:57 PM

Hello dublindude,

Of course the Twelve Hundred and Nine Hundred Two are good cases, and yes they indeed have blue LEDs on the front, rear, and top fans. The LEDs aren't for everyone of course, but the top fan can be turned off by a convenient switch at the back of the case!

Also, we have just recently come out with the P183. No mirrored side panels of course like your current case, but same design philosophy is present, with a few improvements that hopefully you will like. Check out the flyer: http://www.antec.com/pdf/flyers/P183_EN_flyer.pdf - There's a section on "What's new in the P183".

Thanks!
December 5, 2009 9:27:07 AM

Thanks guys!! Lots of cases to choose from! Not all available for delivery to Ireland though! :( 

Any thoughts on Coolermaster Scout?
December 5, 2009 9:40:52 AM

looks ok, not what i would consider stylish, i hate those massive plastic handles, they may be practical, but ewwwwwwwwwwwww!!!
December 5, 2009 9:44:53 AM

Rustyy117 said:
looks ok, not what i would consider stylish, i hate those massive plastic handles, they may be practical, but ewwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

Yea, I think your right! Come to think of it I will never be carrying it anywhere! :o 
December 5, 2009 10:06:05 AM

The Lian Li PC-A71FB Full Tower Case is stylish, but im not sure about the cooling performance, also would be nice if the interior was all black.
December 5, 2009 12:20:48 PM

So this is list of cases I have been looking at so far, starting with the most expensive!

Thanks for your suggestions and advice so far.

Feel free to add more suggestions!! :thumbsup:

Corsair Obsidian 800D (prob too pricey)

Lian Li PC-A71FB (prob too pricey)

Coolermaster RC-1100 Cosmos S

Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos

Antec 1200

Coolermaster Storm 'Sniper'

Coolermaster HAF 932

Coolermaster Storm 'Scout'
December 5, 2009 12:30:54 PM

Not a bad line up, my friend has the Coolermaster RC 1100 cosmos S and its stunning. But me and a few mates tease him about the handles lol. I guess its not a big deal, atleast they don't look as cheap as the CM scout handles :p .

I'd save up for the Corsair Obsidian 800D, because if i brought any other case I'd regret not getting the Corsair, but thats just me.

I think the CM storm sniper is as ugly as sin. Just looks like a big block of plastic.
December 7, 2009 7:32:26 AM

Rustyy117 said:
Not a bad line up, my friend has the Coolermaster RC 1100 cosmos S and its stunning. But me and a few mates tease him about the handles lol. I guess its not a big deal, atleast they don't look as cheap as the CM scout handles :p .

I'd save up for the Corsair Obsidian 800D, because if i brought any other case I'd regret not getting the Corsair, but thats just me.

I think the CM storm sniper is as ugly as sin. Just looks like a big block of plastic.

Hi, thanks!

Yea the cosmos look nice but the handles put me off! Not really sure why!
December 7, 2009 8:26:45 AM

Well looks like you've narrowed it down, if the Corsair and the Lian Li are too pricey and the CM cosmos's aren't to your taste then your left with the Antec 1200, The sniper, The scout and the HAF 932

Personally i think your current P183 has more style than any of the cases i listed above.

Have you considered any Silverstone cases yet?
December 7, 2009 8:36:17 AM

Have you looked at the Coolermaster ATCS 840 Black?

So clean looking with excellent features. 3x230mm + 1x120mm fans plus space for 3 more 120mm fans. Excellent cable management. Its 100% aluminium. Most photo's don't do it justice at all. Its essentially the Corsair 800D with better ventilation and no window.

I quite like the Silverstone Raven RV01 but that's just me. It remind me of the new batmobile lol

If you're looking under £100 then I can't recommend enough the Lancool Dragonlord PC-K62
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4XCT9yibwQ
December 8, 2009 7:37:10 AM

clinomaniac said:
Have you looked at the Coolermaster ATCS 840 Black?

So clean looking with excellent features. 3x230mm + 1x120mm fans plus space for 3 more 120mm fans. Excellent cable management. Its 100% aluminium. Most photo's don't do it justice at all. Its essentially the Corsair 800D with better ventilation and no window.

I quite like the Silverstone Raven RV01 but that's just me. It remind me of the new batmobile lol

If you're looking under £100 then I can't recommend enough the Lancool Dragonlord PC-K62

Yea I was looking at the ATCS 840, I even forgot to add it to the list above!! The only downside is the price! Not sure I should spend that kind of money! :ouch: 

Not sure on the batmobile case! :o 
a b ) Power supply
December 8, 2009 7:42:56 AM

Other than compiling a list of great looking cabbies, have you shortlisted any?
December 8, 2009 7:48:06 AM

Yeah have you narrowed it down?, would love to know what case your going to get
December 8, 2009 7:50:29 AM

hell_storm2004 said:
CM Stacker would also be nice addition to the list. But that would just increase the number of recommendations for the OP rather than finalizing one.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CoolerMaster/Stacker...

Would satisfy all your needs of a full tower cabinet!

This isn't too bad actually!! Another to the list!! Oh decisions decisions!!
December 8, 2009 7:52:40 AM

hell_storm2004 said:
Other than compiling a list of great looking cabbies, have you shortlisted any?

Rustyy117 said:
Yeah have you narrowed it down?, would love to know what case your going to get

Not yet! :pt1cable:  So many!! I think it may be a case of picking any one of the above mentioned and I would be happy!! But I am a naturally indecisive person! :whistle: 

I like to gather other opinions, read/watch reviews to death until being absolutely sure I am getting the best!! haha (Somebody shoot me)
December 8, 2009 7:53:37 AM

omg! the list keeps on growing.... :p 
a b ) Power supply
December 8, 2009 8:19:57 AM

techpowerup has the all necessary reviews you need. The highest full tower score i have seen is the CM Stacker with 9.4 or something.
a b ) Power supply
December 8, 2009 9:47:53 AM

You already said you want style, and there is a Lian-Li already on your list. Why do you need more information? If you want the best quality and style then get a Lian-Li case. They are machined immaculately and hand assembled. Believe me, just get one.
December 8, 2009 10:31:41 AM

If I was forced at gunpoint to narrow my list down at gun point it would be:

Corsair 800D / ATCS 840

Antec 1200 / HAF 932
December 8, 2009 11:07:25 AM

you know you want the 800D

I have the HAF 932 and its not pretty, but it is very good at cooling performance.
a b ) Power supply
December 8, 2009 11:12:10 AM

HAF932 is a bit of a dust magnet. HAF922 is better, but you are not getting a mid tower is it? But as a case, its really really good!
December 8, 2009 12:24:43 PM

Unlucky man : /

December 8, 2009 10:18:35 PM

lancool dragonlord pc-k62 [from lian-li]

HARDWARE CANUCKS overview

fyi i have a cm Scout, but i'm about to pick this one up, it look's more minimalistic with interior design in mind

but if i had the cash, either the 800D or Lian-LI that dublin listed would be myne >=0
a b ) Power supply
December 8, 2009 11:20:28 PM

Thanks eklips for having some taste, just get a Lian-Li. The Corsair is nice, but for the price Lian-Li is just better quality. I wish I could afford a Lian-Li case.
December 8, 2009 11:46:30 PM

that pc-k62 is a lian li case, and it's ~$100
a b ) Power supply
December 8, 2009 11:49:18 PM

Yep, and its STILL hand assembled.
December 9, 2009 10:07:59 AM

AMW1011 said:
Yep, and its STILL hand assembled.

Hand assembled?? Hope its not in a third world country!!
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2009 11:42:32 AM

Nah, its from South Korea.
December 9, 2009 3:03:10 PM

I don't see how a case being hand assembled is a good thing, surely a human would make more mistakes than a machine.

You choosen a case DublinDude?
December 9, 2009 5:10:41 PM

Just to add one more :p 

Silverstone Fortres FT02 will be released next week I heard. It is Smexy.

It's Aluminium Bodied so like Lian Li, photo's don't do it justice. It has the 90 degree MOBO rotation for better airflow and good sound dampening. Comes in Silver/Black. has gotten a lot of attention at recent Expo's. It's essentially taken the best of the Silverstone FT01 and RV02 and combined them into one excellent case.

But out of your final 4 I would say the Antec 1200. If you like how it looks then you won't regret it. I have an Antec 900 and I look at the 1200 and think, man that has EVERYTHING that I would ask to improve my case. Every Issue I have with the 900 is resolved in the 1200.
December 9, 2009 5:38:23 PM

+1 Lian Li PC-K62. I love mine.
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2009 6:26:12 PM

Rustyy117 said:
I don't see how a case being hand assembled is a good thing, surely a human would make more mistakes than a machine.

You choosen a case DublinDude?

Your kidding right? Hand assembled means everything is put together correctly, all the parts fit perfectly, and each case is immaculate.
December 9, 2009 6:46:20 PM

No hand assembled means its built by hand ( A person) It doesn't means every hand built case is "Perfect" or "immaculate" I'd trust a machine to do a better job, For all we know the people building the cases might not give a sh!t about the quality or their job.
I don't believe the hype.
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2009 6:55:31 PM

Well the "hype" as you call it stems from the rave reviews that all Lian-Li cases have gotten for years and years for their quality, attention to detail, style, and performance. The "hype" is that when a Lian-Li case is beside almost any other case you can TELL which is higher quality from a glance and, except for the rave light fans, almost always is praised as the better looking case. I have dealt with a LOT of cases since I work in a computer repair and building shop and regardless of what you think, if you can afford it, a Lian-Li case is the best quality. The best price v performance? The most flashy? The absolute best cooled? Maybe not, but if you want an extreme you must be prepared to deal with the short comings.
December 9, 2009 8:40:17 PM

That case is overpriced, its nearly exactly the same as the 60 series for $80 more....
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2009 9:50:26 PM

sonic-boom said:

That case is overpriced, its nearly exactly the same as the 60 series for $80 more....

Actually the metal is thicker and their is anti-noise padding. Its a bit of a steep premium, but if you want quiet then that's it.
!