Sign in with
Your question

Connecting CM690 case connectors to P7P55D-E EVO

Last response: in Motherboards
March 3, 2010 11:55:07 PM

Hello all,

I find myself yet again seeking help from the kind people on this forum! I bought a cooler master 690 case and a P7P55D-E EVO motherboard (after great recommendations from people on this forum).

I am a little nervous about connecting the case connectors. I dont really understand the details about the I/O function panel and compatibility with motherboard. My guidebook says "Please select the motherboard which uses the same USB2, IEEE1394, eSATA, AC`97, HD standard as below; otherwise it will cause damages to device(s)"

This information has left me a little apprehensive about connecting cables that I thought would be straightforward. I checked my motherboard instructions and, am I right to connect the IEEE1394 to the IE1394_2 connector (16) and the HD audio connection to the front panel audio connector (17). I am a unsure about the rest (USB, eSATA) and have been searching the internet for detailed pictures or information about exactly where to connect.

The numbers in brackets () correspond to page 2-3 of the P7P55D-E EVO manual. If anyone has connected already please help! It is my 1st time building and is taking me forever (I worry too much about mistakes!!!)

I really appreciate being pointed in the right direction, thanks again in advance for your help!!

Peter
a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2010 3:20:14 AM

USB one will fit into the 7 pin slot on bottom of motherboard, and eSata will plug into any SATA ports.
Be careful not to put the 1394 cable into the USB header or viceversa, or it will fry the sockets on the front panel and vice versa
a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2010 3:29:45 AM

IE1394_2 refers simply to IE1394 (connector number 2). Instead of printing that whole sentence on the board they just number them. Similar USB_1, USB_2, etc..
Related resources
March 4, 2010 6:44:14 AM

Thanks for the quick replies!

"Be careful not to put the 1394 cable into the USB header or viceversa, or it will fry the sockets on the front panel and vice versa"

This is exactly what I was worried about! I have 2 unmarked cables which I guess are the USB one (10 pin with 1 covered/missing) and the eSATA. My motherboard has USB1112, 910 and 78, are any of these ok for the USB cable? All are 9 pin (10 with 1 covered)

"IE1394_2 refers simply to IE1394 (connector number 2)"

Thanks, I cannot find any IE1394, only the IE1394_2, it actually says the IEEE 1394a is "purchased separately", I guess its ok to put the 1394 cable here:) ?

I have 1 cable that says HD audio, it is connected on the same cable as the AC`97. I believe 1 goes into the AAFP, am I right assuming HD one is better?

Finally, the board has 6 SATA ports and 1 JMicron JMB363 SATA_E1. I am right assuming the 1st 6 are ok and the micron is for hard disk drive?

The help is really appreciated, I was regretting the decision to build my own PC but actually its coming together now thanks to your help!
a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2010 9:05:55 PM

will2power said:
Thanks for the quick replies!

"Be careful not to put the 1394 cable into the USB header or viceversa, or it will fry the sockets on the front panel and vice versa"

This is exactly what I was worried about! I have 2 unmarked cables which I guess are the USB one (10 pin with 1 covered/missing) and the eSATA. My motherboard has USB1112, 910 and 78, are any of these ok for the USB cable? All are 9 pin (10 with 1 covered)

"IE1394_2 refers simply to IE1394 (connector number 2)"

Thanks, I cannot find any IE1394, only the IE1394_2, it actually says the IEEE 1394a is "purchased separately", I guess its ok to put the 1394 cable here:) ?

I have 1 cable that says HD audio, it is connected on the same cable as the AC`97. I believe 1 goes into the AAFP, am I right assuming HD one is better?

Finally, the board has 6 SATA ports and 1 JMicron JMB363 SATA_E1. I am right assuming the 1st 6 are ok and the micron is for hard disk drive?

The help is really appreciated, I was regretting the decision to build my own PC but actually its coming together now thanks to your help!

If in doubt regarding the unmarked cables, follow them to the port. It is quite obvious where they end up, USB or eSATA or FireWire or whatever.

Regarding the IE1394, yes it is fine to connect it there.

Before you proceed on connecting all the cables in there one word of advice; if you do not need any of those connections (ie IE1394) do not even bother connecting them if you can completely remove the cable. eg. i do not use any such devices and never going to use one, so i just left that cable out of the case. No need to have it in there, tangling more wires and making the system more complex, etc etc.

HD is better yes than AC'97

All SATA ports are fine for hard drive or any other SATA device (SSDs, DVD-ROMs, etc). The JMicron could possibly be for an external SATA or eSATA, refer to your manual for that. The connections though are exactly the same as the SATA connectors, so you can't possibly do anything wrong there.

Take your time and read the manual thoroughly if you are a first time builder. Also take care in discharging yourself when building your system. And when something does not fit properly, do not force it, go back and make sure you are doing things right. Take your time, don't hurry and when in doubt go online and check pictures, diagrams, maps, etc.

Happy building!
March 5, 2010 4:21:14 AM

"If in doubt regarding the unmarked cables, follow them to the port"

I just thought about this last night, I dont know why I never thought of it before! I think I got overwhelmed by the amount of cables, connections etc and didnt think straight!

"Take your time and read the manual thoroughly if you are a first time builder."

Exactly what I have been doing recently, this is good advice as I have started to get things clear in my head before even trying to connect everything.

"HD is better yes than AC'97 "

Good to have confirmation thanks.

"All SATA ports are fine for hard drive or any other SATA device"

Again, thanks for confirming! I will have another go at connecting everything again.

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to reply, I am often just seeking confirmation from people more knowledgeable than me (not difficult!) as I lack the confidence of a educated builder!
a b V Motherboard
March 8, 2010 12:48:04 AM

No problem my friend, you will always find somebody willing to help you here.
March 8, 2010 5:13:50 AM

Thank darkguset, the reason I always use this forum is, as you mentioned, "you will always find somebody willing to help you"

So, my set up is well on its way, the only thing still hindering me is deciding if I should use the JMicron JMB363 SATA_E1 port or the regular SATA ports. I think I forgot to mention that I have a ST31000528AS Barracuda 7200.12 SATA 3Gb/s 1TB Hard Drive.

The regular (blue) SATA connectors (1-6) are 3gb
There are 2 (gray) Marvell 6gb SATA`s
Finally the JMicron JMB363 SATA.

My User Guide recommends the JMicron JMB363 for main Hard Disk Drive but I have read about people having problems with BIOS, driver updates and "finding" the drive.

I looked up the following 2 articles on this site but could not reach a conclusion.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270342-31-first-time-...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/276868-28-external-sa...

I have 2 questions, 1: My drive is SATA 3Gb, will the 2 (gray) Marvell 6gb SATA`s be compatible? If so, any faster/ advantage over the regular (blue) 3gb SATA connectors? 2: Does anyone know if the JMicron JMB363 SATA has any advantage for me over the others. I have heard "hot-plug functionality" mentioned but not exactly sure what this means/ does.

Sorry to trouble everyone again, I have 90% of PC connected but finding this SATA problem a little difficult!:)  Thanks again in advance!
a b V Motherboard
March 9, 2010 1:36:40 AM

Use the main SATA ones as first priority as they are faster and newer generation as well. You will not see almost any difference in the speed since the drive you are using is of the older generation, but they are backwards compatible so you will not have any problems connecting anything anywhere.

Use the JMicron as an eSATA, that is an external SATA hard drive. Hot-plug means that you can connect and disconnect the drive on the port without having to switch your PC off fist. Hence the reason to use that port (JMicron) as an external one. For the hot-plug to work though there are some requirements that need to be met. More information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA
March 12, 2010 3:37:55 AM

Thanks again darkguset,

Sorry for the late reply, I often work crazy hours and have strange days off! I will plug it into the main (blue) SATA connector (port 1). Thanks!

"JMicron as an eSATA, that is an external SATA hard drive"

I will be buying a back up external hard drive as soon as my PC is built. Does that mean I can/should connect my external drive to the JMicron drive? I have been out of touch with computer tech for a long time now (last PC was bought 5 years ago!) and believed that USB of Firewire would be used for external drive. If you know a good site or could point me in the right direction I would be grateful. I feel like an old, out of touch man at the moment, technology changes so fast!!:) 

I also appreciate the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

It is a little technical for me but I am sure I can get to grips with it! It is taking me a long time to set up this build but the important thing is I am learning a LOT so it is all worth it!
a b V Motherboard
March 14, 2010 11:59:04 PM

No problem.
Yes, you should use your JMicron SATA port for your external drive. In terms of performance this is what you get: USB(3.0)>SATA>eSATA>Firewire(800)>USB(2.0)
For more details and benchmarks look here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-firewire-esata,...
Hence when you buy an external drive or case for a drive make sure it has at least an eSATA port. Basically think of the eSATA as a normal SATA connector in most cases, so you can plug in there anything you want that has a normal SATA port.

To keep you up to date: The new USB3 is out, which is the fastest of all, but as you imagine it is new technology, so it is not widespread yet. eSATA for the moment is the best solution as it is both fast and very widespread. Firewire is long dead except in special circumstances. And finally USB2 is best for compatibility (almost all computers have a USB port), but for this age and time it is slow.

Technology moves fast indeed and none can confidently say that they are in touch with EVERYTHING (unless your brain is connected to the Matrix) hehe
!