Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Psu powering a 4770

Last response: in Components
December 4, 2009 12:44:50 PM

hello everyone i need some help i have a hec power supply. its 750 watts. it cant power a 4870 asus dark knight well it can jsut not in heavy gaming what i want to know is fi ti will power 2 4770s
heres the cahrt on the power supple

ac input 100- 250 vac 50-60hz 10 a

dc out +3v +5v l +12v1 +12v2 +12v3 +12v4 l -12v +5vsb
l l
l l
max a 24a 30a l 19a 19a 19a 19a l 0.5a 1.0a
l l
l l
l l
combined 170w l 720 watts l -12v is 6w and the +5svb is 15 watts

that exacklyt he chart right there
here where im confused and if you could explain itd help me out a lot
all the pcie rails add up to 720watts and the +3 and +5 rails add up to 170w now whats 170 + 720 = 890 is that chart wrong or am i doign somethign worng here

really all i need to know is if this will runn 2 4770s
i alreayd know it cant run 1 4870 so that why i ask cuz i herd there pretty much teh same if this spower supply cant run the 4770 can some one tell me how many amps you need on the rail to run it thank you in advance

More about : psu powering 4770

Best solution

a c 248 ) Power supply
December 4, 2009 12:55:10 PM

I am afraid you have things all mixed up. The HEC 750 watt power supply should be able to handle a system with just one ATI Radeon HD 4870 video card. Perhaps your game settings are too high or your cpu can't keep up with the video card.

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5000 series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

In addition the power supply should be at least 80+ Bronze certified for energy efficiency.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. An example would be the Antec Earthwatts series which is an improvement over Antec’s older series psu’s.

December 4, 2009 1:32:25 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
I am afraid you have things all mixed up. The HEC 750 watt power supply should be able to handle a system with just one ATI Radeon HD 4870 video card. Perhaps your game settings are too high or your cpu can't keep up with the video card.

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5000 series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

In addition the power supply should be at least 80+ Bronze certified for energy efficiency.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. An example would be the Antec Earthwatts series which is an improvement over Antec’s older series psu’s.

thank youf or expaining to me but i know my powersupply really sucks everyone who bought it off of newegg cant geti it to work right either it crashe on them to i seriously doubtit could be my cpu i have the 720 overclocked to 3.6 and its stable very very stable. the power supply has im guessing only 19 amps on each rail that why im concerned about using it for a 4770 if i can get away with it then ill use it but im not sure if i can or not
a c 248 ) Power supply
December 4, 2009 1:56:12 PM

Your power supply should not have had any problems with either a 4870 or a 4770 - even two 4770's operating in Crossfire mode. Must be a major problem.
!