Wanting to upgrade my vaio for gaming

rfunk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
I've decided to build my own gaming computer for the first time, I started searching and planning out a new gaming computer i wanted to build. I soon realized that its going to be pretty expensive, then I thought could I just upgrade my Vaio desktop? It was decent a few years ago but I don't even use it anymore. It's a VAIO VGC-RC110G. Is it possible to put in a new motherboard, processor, video card, and ram? I'm fairly new at this stuff and some tips would be very helpful

Solution
I've just read that 945p chipset supports fsb of 1066mhz. That's good news. All you need to do is check in bios if you have any option to change fsb. If you don't then go for e6600 or higher. If you happen to have it, then take e4700/e4600 and oc it to 3-3.2ghz. It should work on stock hsf. But first of all, ask sony if theres any bios upgrade for your mb and if this board really supports these cpus. Hope youll be happy;)

szymek

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
Ok. ubernoobie - dont give bad advises. Rfunk: It all depends on how much do you want to spend. As far as I've read, it's 945p chipset so you can easily upgrade your cpu. Think about e4700, it's really nice and overclocks quite good. Also, add 1gb ram ddr2 533mhz. Then, buy new graphic card, I'd say 4670 or 4650 would be enough for you. Just remember, you cant buy e5200,300,400. Even though fsb is 800. It's 45nm and your mb doesnt support it. Contact sony for information if any core 2 duo is supported but I'm quite sure e4xx and e2xxx should work perfectly.

szymek

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
I've just read that 945p chipset supports fsb of 1066mhz. That's good news. All you need to do is check in bios if you have any option to change fsb. If you don't then go for e6600 or higher. If you happen to have it, then take e4700/e4600 and oc it to 3-3.2ghz. It should work on stock hsf. But first of all, ask sony if theres any bios upgrade for your mb and if this board really supports these cpus. Hope youll be happy;)

Solution

szymek

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
Sorry, I couldnt get to the internet earlier. Yes, since your motherboard is made especially for your cassis. Sony told you that it doesnt? That's a shame. No Pentium D can offer enough gain for you so that you would notice it. I guess all you can do is buy new graphic card now, add 1gb of ram and in the future, buy cheap cassis and motherboard and cpu. Write new thread when you'll be able to upgrad in such big scale. We will decide whether intel or amd is a better choice. Good luck!