Sign in with
Your question
Solved

NEED HELP ASAP!!! Problem with recognizing HDD!

Last response: in Storage
July 13, 2011 7:42:13 AM

Hi, I just assembled my computer and it seemed to be working...
until I was trying to install OS and it wouldn't be able to find any
drivers to install Windows on. I bought the Windows 7 64 bit for my
Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 motherboard with the WD Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM
HDD and connected it to SATA 0 and optical drive into SATA 1. I went to BIOS to see
if HDD is recognized but it is not. I'm so lost as to what I should do. Any
help here? Thank you.
July 13, 2011 11:03:13 AM

Now, I have been messing with RAID to try to get my computer recognize it, but all failed. Seems like keyboard and mice would not work.... don't know what's going on. Need help urgently, but now, seems like I'm just getting deeper into trouble.

Should I just get a professional help? If so, where can I get them? Microcenter? BestBuy??? Man, hope somebody has answer.....
July 13, 2011 1:19:06 PM

metalloid said:
Now, I have been messing with RAID to try to get my computer recognize it, but all failed. Seems like keyboard and mice would not work.... don't know what's going on. Need help urgently, but now, seems like I'm just getting deeper into trouble.

Should I just get a professional help? If so, where can I get them? Microcenter? BestBuy??? Man, hope somebody has answer.....

First, Are you sure you have both the power and sata cables connected correctly?
Related resources
July 13, 2011 2:10:22 PM

I believe so, because the computer was able to read the windows installing discs fine, while the hard drive was just using HDD sata cable with the power supplies plugin. With the way it's shaped and all, don't think I got them connected wrong.
July 13, 2011 6:29:18 PM

metalloid said:
I believe so, because the computer was able to read the windows installing discs fine, while the hard drive was just using HDD sata cable with the power supplies plugin. With the way it's shaped and all, don't think I got them connected wrong.

When the computer boots up using the Windows 7 CD, it will look just fine even if no hard drives are installed at all. It's booting up from the CD. When you go into the BIOS or the raid utility, you should be able to at least see a hdd connected. If you are not seeing anything, then it's possible you may have a hdd that isn't powering at all. Do you hear the hdd making any sound on boot up?
July 13, 2011 7:47:56 PM

Umm I am not sure... I don't think I'm hearing the hdd working though. I currently have the power supply connected to the HDD with the optical drive with the same cable. But even with a different cable, it seems to be not working...

Best solution

July 13, 2011 7:51:26 PM

metalloid said:
Umm I am not sure... I don't think I'm hearing the hdd working though. I currently have the power supply connected to the HDD with the optical drive with the same cable. But even with a different cable, it seems to be not working...

If I was you, I would probably give the motherboard manufacturer a call and see if they can walk you through the particular model that you have.
July 13, 2011 7:57:48 PM

I see. Well do you know what I should do when the wireless keyboard suddenly doesn't get recognized by the PC??
July 13, 2011 8:03:38 PM

metalloid said:
I see. Well do you know what I should do when the wireless keyboard suddenly doesn't get recognized by the PC??

If it's bluetooth, I would say you have a pairing problem and you need to pair it.

If it's just wireless with a USB plugin, I would say it's probably the same thing, just needs to be paired again, might be a pairing button on the keyboard or USB plugin.

Hope this helps. If not, let the more technical people see if they can give you a better answer.
July 13, 2011 8:23:54 PM

I've got the keyboard to work by claering cmos. I don't think I heard HDD anymore for sure, since the first boot up ever. any suggestion?
July 20, 2011 3:45:34 AM

Best answer selected by metalloid.
!