Asus p6t sata ports

GStim

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Hello, this mobo has 6 sata sockets and then 2-sata "ports" marked "port0 and port1" for some kind of back up utility. I woulld like to use them for other things since the "regular" 6 are used up. Can they be used that way?

Solution

The 2 extra SATA ports are standard SATA, and can be used freely, as you want.

Nonetheless, they have a different controller (not the Intel), so you cannot do RAID with both kind. A single RAID should be only on those two, or only on the 6 others, but you can have two raids, one in each controller.

The 6 on Intel have better performance. The other 2 can be used with special software (don't work on Win7 last time I checked) for caching, and accelerating boot time.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007

The 2 extra SATA ports are standard SATA, and can be used freely, as you want.

Nonetheless, they have a different controller (not the Intel), so you cannot do RAID with both kind. A single RAID should be only on those two, or only on the 6 others, but you can have two raids, one in each controller.

The 6 on Intel have better performance. The other 2 can be used with special software (don't work on Win7 last time I checked) for caching, and accelerating boot time.

Solution

GStim

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010

Thanks for replying!

I want to use 1 thru 4 for a raid 5, and sata 5 and 6 for OS Drive and a Blue Ray burner. I still have a reg DVD burner to hook up, and the front e-sata to plug in. Could the sata port 1 and the sata port 2 be used for those?

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007

you can use any port to connect anything you want, and boot from any device.

I'm not sure what you are asking about e-sata. Your mother have at least a specific e-sata connector on the back panel, and I don't recomment to use SATA connectors for removable disks.

I don't remember, but the mother may have an extra esata or IEEE 1394 port near of tree extra USB (at the bottom of the mother)

GStim

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
There is a e-sata port on the front of the case with a sata cable running into the case for connection to the mobo. The mobo has the two extra sata ports and a backup utility for those