How validate Overclock

G

Community,

I have overclocked my i5-2500k to 4509.5 MHz per CPU-Z & similar value with the TOverclock Utility that came with my TZ68A+ motherboard. However, running PC Wizard shows me sitting around 3306.6 MHz and Windows 7 under properties says 3.31GHz.

I have ran Uniengine Heaven with a 260GTX @ 1920x1080 DX10 with regular settings and have seen no improvement over stock speeds.

Stock: 27.3 FPS, 687 Score

Overclocked: 27.2 FPS, 686 Score

Shouldn't overclocking help?

I want to squeeze out some more performance for gaming. Let me know what's really going on with my CPU, is it truely OC or not.

Solution
Your speed is showing @ 3.3 because that is what the cpu reports. Overclocking on a K series is mostly done with the turbo multipliers so windows and other programs may not see this as turbo acts different then the cpus actual top speed(for you its the same, but the cpu tells programs it runs @ x.xx speed and does not include its turbo speeds)

You are still getting you speed do not worry

That said, Uniengine Heaven is a GPU benchmark. At that rez, your video card is bottlenecked

Run something link linX or Wprime ect
Pc wizard and computer properties does not say actual speed, it shows the "name" of the cpu. Cpuz does say the actual speed. Uningine test the gpu so the cpu has no effect on it. However games may utilize both the cpu and gpu so may be affected.

Your speed is showing @ 3.3 because that is what the cpu reports. Overclocking on a K series is mostly done with the turbo multipliers so windows and other programs may not see this as turbo acts different then the cpus actual top speed(for you its the same, but the cpu tells programs it runs @ x.xx speed and does not include its turbo speeds)

You are still getting you speed do not worry

That said, Uniengine Heaven is a GPU benchmark. At that rez, your video card is bottlenecked

Run something link linX or Wprime ect

Solution