Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
December 5, 2011 12:37:01 AM

Hello,

I am trying to OC my CPU to 3.8-4.0Ghz. Ive read a bunch of articles throughout this forum on how to do it, methods to do it safely, test for stability etc. But it seems anything i do over 3.6 is unstable when doing a stress test with OCCT.


System Specs:

CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C8
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX (OC from stock 850hz to 950, memory from 1200 1400. Used the card's overdrive software)
Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS 1TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow W0319RU 850W ATX 12V v2.3, EPS 12V v2.91 CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active ...
XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

This is the voltage changes ive recorded when upping the clock multiplier an leaving vcore voltage set on auto:

3.4 (17.00) = 1.378v
3.5 (17.50) = 1.378v-1.381v
3.6 (18.00) = 1.378v-1.381v
3.7 (18.50) = 1.472v-1.475v
3.8 (19.00) = 1.469v-1.472v/.475v On the motherboard it shows all of the voltages here kinda jumping around.
3.9 (19.50) = 1.469v-1.472v/.475v
4.0 (2000) = 1.469v-1.472v/.475v

All these OC's work an my system will boot up. but anything over 3.6 (18.00) fails a stress test on OCCT. Im fairly new to overclocking and i didnt wanna mess around with all the different voltage settings without some more advice. Any help is greatly appreiciated.
a c 100 à CPUs
a c 235 K Overclocking
December 5, 2011 5:07:33 PM

Acidcreature said:
Hello,

I am trying to OC my CPU to 3.8-4.0Ghz. Ive read a bunch of articles throughout this forum on how to do it, methods to do it safely, test for stability etc. But it seems anything i do over 3.6 is unstable when doing a stress test with OCCT.


System Specs:

CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C8
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX (OC from stock 850hz to 950, memory from 1200 1400. Used the card's overdrive software)
Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS 1TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow W0319RU 850W ATX 12V v2.3, EPS 12V v2.91 CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active ...
XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

This is the voltage changes ive recorded when upping the clock multiplier an leaving vcore voltage set on auto:

3.4 (17.00) = 1.378v
3.5 (17.50) = 1.378v-1.381v
3.6 (18.00) = 1.378v-1.381v
3.7 (18.50) = 1.472v-1.475v
3.8 (19.00) = 1.469v-1.472v/.475v On the motherboard it shows all of the voltages here kinda jumping around.
3.9 (19.50) = 1.469v-1.472v/.475v
4.0 (2000) = 1.469v-1.472v/.475v

All these OC's work an my system will boot up. but anything over 3.6 (18.00) fails a stress test on OCCT. Im fairly new to overclocking and i didnt wanna mess around with all the different voltage settings without some more advice. Any help is greatly appreiciated.



OK first off, what are you cooling the CPU with, I don't see that mentioned?

Cooling has everything in the world to do with successfully overclocking an AMD Black Edition CPU, I have a test machine setup running an AMD 965BE at 3900mhz with a Noctua NH-D14 in passive mode, which means there are presently no cooling fans on the heat sink, that's how good of a cooler the Noctua is, to be able to handle a 3.9ghz overclock stable with only case airflow to cool the heatsink.

Secondly:
I'm assuming you did this auto voltage multiplier listing I underlined above, to see where the voltages went for each level but that's really inaccurate because you're only going to achieve stable clocks like 3.8 running manual vcore.

Personally, I use Prime95 to fine tune in the stability, OCCT to me is like shooting for maximum heat, only bested by Intel burn, but Prime95 will get you where you need to be, and allow fine tuning when you get there.

So what's your cooling solution?
m
0
l
December 5, 2011 6:05:51 PM

@ 4ryan6 thank you for taking a look at my post.

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU (Comes in tomorrow)

- This is the cooler i am getting for cooling. From research I've done people have used this for cooling their OC's for above 4.0 without having any issues.

I was using stock because I never planned on OC, once I decided to I ordered that but I started doing research an testing while I waited. During testing I havent seen my CPU get above 33C-35C @ stock : 35C-38C @ 3.5Ghz-3.6Ghz : 60-62C @3.7Ghz -4.0Ghz. <- These temps are what i read from OCCT during testing

Second:
Yes during the inital steeping of the clock i left the voltage set to auto, i did this so i could see how much voltage changed during the stepping incase i wanted to go above 4.0, and to have a general idea of where i needed to have it set.

After that is done I will download Prime95 as suggested. I personally didnt think those temps were high enough to have affected to stabilty seeing as most people say CPU's arent in danger of being to hot anything under 72C but i could be wrong for going on that..

Thank you for your time!
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 100 à CPUs
a c 235 K Overclocking
December 5, 2011 10:04:31 PM

If your goal is the 4.0ghz range, doable with the cooler you're getting, you will be running manual V-core voltage and disabling some of the AMD features to get there.

Look back over the guide I did while you're waiting for the cooler and if you have any direct questions of anything you don't understand either post them here or PM me directly.

If you're not sure about how to access manually running your voltages, in your BIOS under the Advanced Tab, Set AI Overclock Tuner to (Manual), then you'll have full access to set your voltages.

Your memory is 1600mhz 1.65v cas 8, is that correct?

You can do this before you get the cooler:

Instead of running your memory at 1600mhz, set it at 1333mhz, @ 1.65v, set the timings at spec'd range 8-8-8-24 @ 2T, 8-8-8-24 will be your first 4 settings in your memory settings you'll find the 1T/2T setting further down the list, leave the rest of those timings on Auto.

We can tweak the memory for better performance later, to start out we want you running bullet proof settings with the memory, understand?

You're going to have to pull your motherboard to mount the new cooler, you do realize that right? It's no big deal.

With the cooler you are getting you'll need to remove the plastic from the base and take a piece of plastic similar to a credit card and work the thermal compound that comes with the cooler into the base, you'll be smooth filling the gaps between the heat pipes and aluminum base, fill to perfectly smooth with no excess.

It's not big gaps but you want the air gaps filled with compound, then spread a very thin layer of compound on your CPU heat spreader, about as thin as tissue paper, with thermal compound the less you can use the better heat conductor too much thermal compound acts like an insulator.

Old thermal compound cleans up well with 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol, and Qtips.

This Cooler Master Hyper 212+ installation guide may help you.



m
0
l
December 7, 2011 10:08:40 AM

@ 4ryan6

the cooler is installed.. and man that thing is big but it works great. 30-31C is what it sits at running 3.8.

I do have some issues getting 4.0 to work without crashing during any of the stress test. i got prime95, it and OCCT both make 4.0 crash. After work today I'm going to work on adjusting my voltages manually an I'll let you know what kind of results im getting.

Also i was working on just stepping the cpu slowly after installing the new cooler. I got an error on prime85 where it shut down 2 of my cores an kept testing the other two. Im pretty sure it has something to do with vcore being on auto but I just wanted to see if the computer would come back up after taking it all apart/ see how that cooler was working.

tonight im gonna try an get some more results on the 4.0 doing manual voltages.
m
0
l
December 7, 2011 11:56:38 PM

Well.. today is not so hot. ended up not going for the push to 4.0 because now my computer has had two bsod today. 1 i forget the error and another was a memory_management error. (both while playing an online game so I'm almost convinced it could be caused by that since i never saw these errors before on the other OC but i also didnt run that game.. and I have had games that had specific errors.. etc WoW caused my video card to artifact an lock up during play requireing a reboot)

so ram stepped down to 1333. and cpu is at 3.4 and time to do some test to see if i have a stable stock setup before pushing anymore OC's
m
0
l
a c 100 à CPUs
a c 235 K Overclocking
December 8, 2011 11:27:54 AM

When you manually overclock you have to go all the way if you try doing it halfway that 965BE will laugh in your face.

Now it's time to get serious about this overclocking.

Quote:
in your BIOS under the Advanced Tab, Set AI Overclock Tuner to (Manual), then you'll have full access to set your voltages.


Some voltages will not even be visible until this is set to manual!

Additionally under Advanced;
CPU Configuration
Disable everything enabled except Advanced Clock Calibration, set that to [All Cores]

Now under Jumper free Configuration some new setting have appeared;
Lets try for a 3900mhz overclock right out of the gate I want to see how close your 965BE is in relation to mine.

Set:
CPU Bus to 200
PCI-E to 100
CPU Ratio to 19x
CPU Overvoltage try [+50mv] to begin (This will need to be increased if this setting fails) In your M/B manual I do not see a direct Vcore voltage setting the Vcore, it may just not be listed in the manual I downloaded, you'll need to be running is in the Vcore ballpark of 1.463V + or- so you'll have to experiment with the [+50mv], [+100mv], [+150mv] settings until you read a vcore close to 1.463v.

Monitor your Vcore under Power Tab, Hardware Monitor, > VCORE =.

You're at a slight disadvantage if you cannot direct input a Vcore voltage, but that just means more trial and error to get stable, if you don't have enough voltage the 19x multiplier will not be stable, so try these setting and report back what happens.


HT Link Speed to Auto
HT Link Width to Auto
Ht Link Voltage to Auto
DRAM Frequency 1333
DDR3 Memory Profile Disabled
DRAM Voltage 1.65v
DRAM Timing:
DRAM Command Rate to 2T
Tcl to 8
Trcd to 8
Trp to 8
Tras to 24
All the rest on Auto



Don't forget to save all these settings before exiting the BIOS!

m
0
l
December 8, 2011 7:24:22 PM

Did that setup. @ 3.9 with your settings i got to test 3 on Prime95 then a forced reboot. so im doing research for what settings to do for the other voltages instead of them being on auto.
m
0
l
a c 100 à CPUs
a c 235 K Overclocking
December 8, 2011 10:52:05 PM

Acidcreature said:
Did that setup. @ 3.9 with your settings i got to test 3 on Prime95 then a forced reboot. so im doing research for what settings to do for the other voltages instead of them being on auto.


What other voltages are you talking about?

Quote:
CPU Overvoltage try [+50mv] to begin (This will need to be increased if this setting fails) In your M/B manual I do not see a direct Vcore voltage setting the Vcore, it may just not be listed in the manual I downloaded, you'll need to be running is in the Vcore ballpark of 1.463V + or- so you'll have to experiment with the [+50mv], [+100mv], [+150mv] settings until you read a vcore close to 1.463v.


Monitor your Vcore under Power Tab, Hardware Monitor, > VCORE =.


You're at a slight disadvantage if you cannot direct input a Vcore voltage, but that just means more trial and error to get stable, if you don't have enough voltage the 19x multiplier will not be stable, so try these setting and report back what happens.



This is exactly why I took the time and wrote the guides I have written, I cannot be on here 24/7.

When you are first learning overclocking you have to learn to crawl before walking, do you have any questions or do you think you have it from here?
m
0
l
December 8, 2011 11:52:01 PM

The other voltages i was referring too were
: CPU/NB
:CPU VDDA
:HT Link Speed
:HT Voltage

But yes with your guides and suggestion i think i have a grasp on it from here. i just need to find what the cpu/board are looking for an get them to work happily lol. Thanks for all your help!
m
0
l
!