Solved

Need some help (New to Overclocking)

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
December 5, 2011 1:50:39 AM

Hi Everyone!

I am 100% new to overclocking and not to mention building your own PC (just built my first one about 6 weeks ago).

I am trying to learn as much as I can and having issues finding a walk through on how to overclock my CPU. Guides are nice, but I'm so new at it I feel like I'm drinking out of a fire hose and I get frustrated.

So, after finding a little walk through on it I set my multi to 42 (at least when I clicked on it that's what it set to). My machine restarted and then I had the following things showing in my bios:

Ai Overclock Tuner - Manual
BCLK/PCIE Frequency - 103.0
By all cores - 42
Internal PLL Overvoltage - Auto
Load Line Calibration - Auto
CPU Voltage - 1.216V - Offset Mode

I have no idea what that all means. I have no idea what the voltage means, but I know it's important.

When I have Core Temp up it seems the VID is all over the place anything from .99V to 1.33V. Frequency goes from 1600MHz - 4300MHz. All the cores stay between 25C- 40C.

I'm super confused. Anyone have any help/advice they can send my way?

Thanks,
Jrod

More about : overclocking

a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
December 5, 2011 2:29:53 AM

System specs? Looks like an i5-K or an i7-K, but what is the rest of the system?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2011 2:37:29 AM

That looks pretty good. The clocks will fluctuate as the cores idle, and I think the voltage will follow them (jsc?). You're at 4.2ghz at the moment. Assuming 2500- or 2600K, that's respectable, but you'll be easily able to go higher with a third-party heatsink. Do you have one?
m
l
Related resources
December 5, 2011 2:55:00 AM

My specs are:

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
i5-2500k (I have a Hyper 212 Plus on the CPU)
GTX 570 Superclock
8gig RAM
850W PSU

Does that help?

All I did to get to that point was turn the Ai from Auto to Manual and those settings where in place (I'm guessing they go from 3.7ghz to 4.2ghz by default?). If I leave it there I should be okay? I'm not too concerned with taking it to the limit at this point. I'd really like to learn a lot more before I push it at all.

Thanks,
Jrod
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2011 3:37:15 AM

Yeah, 4.2 ghz will be plenty for gaming with that GPU. You're good. If you keep this build around for long enough to throw in some crazy future GPU (7970 ftw), you can go higher.
Who convinced you to get a PSU that powerful? Are you planning for SLI in the future?
December 5, 2011 3:57:48 AM

kajabla said:
Yeah, 4.2 ghz will be plenty for gaming with that GPU. You're good. If you keep this build around for long enough to throw in some crazy future GPU (7970 ftw), you can go higher.
Who convinced you to get a PSU that powerful? Are you planning for SLI in the future?

Sounds good. I kept the settings and then ran Prim95 test for a while, not long enough to do much, but cores went up to between 56-59C so I think I'm good.

Yeah, I plan to SLI in the future. It's also my very first build so I'm sure I made some mistakes in some areas like getting too beefy of a PSU, but I was told that I might want one like that if I was planning to SLI at some point in the future, which I am.

Anyway, thanks for the help. It put my mind at ease.
m
l
December 5, 2011 1:58:07 PM

After doing some research it seems I have run into the cold boot issue with the P8P67 mother board.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2011 7:32:16 PM

Please elaborate.
750W would be enough, but no harm done.
m
l
December 5, 2011 8:27:14 PM

When I booted up my machine this morning it went through POST 2 times and then brought up a screen that said my overclocking failed. I was then taken to BIOS where I reset everything back to default where it all ran fine from there.

I did some digging and found that the P8P67 boards have all been having an issue with a cold boot and looping through POST a few times. I also found others who had an issue just like mine giving the same message.

So, it sounds like I need to update my BIOS firmware to solve the issue.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2011 8:47:16 PM

What was the clock? It's possibly that it was just a legitimately overdone OC, and the mobo caught it normally.
An update probably wouldn't hurt.
m
l
December 15, 2011 1:50:02 AM

Best answer selected by jrodguy83.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2011 2:24:55 AM

...so how's that cold boot stuff going
m