I can only create 2 volumes with RAID0?

sepiantum

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
I recently built a computer with 2 1.5TB Hitachi drives in RAID. I created a 500GB volume in RAID0 and when I try to create a second volume in RAID0, I can only create it with the rest of the storage space. So I end up with a 2.2TB drive and I can't install another OS onto it. Going into disk management, I find that Windows can only support partitions up to 2TB, and the extra .2TB is useless. I can't create another volume with it. Any help?

Yes - Better than doing partitions, but normaly the bios only supports 2 volums. So Do two Volumes and then partition them under the operating system

Some general comments for others.
When you set up your raid0 volume specify the size (Usually for your Operating system + programs (ie approx 400 Gigs OR 1Gig if not wanting to deal with 2 Gig Limitation) then select the remaining space for volume 2 (not you can partition this space, each with different cluster size, use 16k for partition that will hold large files such as video).

Windows will display two HDDs (Drive 0 and Drive 1) instead of a single drive 0 with two partitions.

Anohter effect of this is that the system will think you short stroked the drives and if you run a bench mark on C you will show improved performance. NOTE since this is a faked short stroke, I dought the improvement is valid. PS this what I did to a pair of drive and C drive improve considerably on benchmark but felt the same as a normal raid0 array..

Hardock

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Hi to everyone.

I'm sorry for posting in a old topic but I didn't find nothing like this nowhere.
I got 2 disk and I'm planning to create a RAID 0 with 2 volumes.
My doubt is if It's ok if a create a volume with a 32k strip for windows and programs and a second volume with a 128k strip for movies, music, games...

Thanks in advance.