How do I modify the programs that automatically appear
when I enter Windows?

Blake,

This should do it...
Low-Trans Fat and Low-Carb Diet for Your PC or
How to optimize Windows XP for the best performance:
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindows.htm

Good Luck!

"Blake Whitby" wrote:

> How do I modify the programs that automatically appear
> when I enter Windows?

Hi

Either type the following from Start>Run

msconfig

and then the startup tab. Can I suggest that you leave at least the entries for your anti-virus program and any 3rd party Firewall program you have installed.

Some startup options may have to be altered in the relevant program itself.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Blake Whitby" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:138001c47ba4$5dc41100$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> How do I modify the programs that automatically appear
> when I enter Windows?

Hi Blake,

If you want to disable an application, you may need to check if the respective software has an option to disable it from startup. Secondly, you can use MSCONFIG utility in XP to enable or disable the startup entries. Click Start, Run and type MSCONFIG. A much superior tool from Sysinternals.com, Autoruns is available from:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp

"Blake Whitby" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:138001c47ba4$5dc41100$a501280a@phx.gbl...
How do I modify the programs that automatically appear
when I enter Windows?

Well go into your run box and type in:

msconfig

A window opens. CLick the start up tab and then unclick
what you don't what. BE CAREFUL as to what you unclick.

Greetings --

In most cases, with "well-mannered" applications, it's usually as
simple as opening the undesired program and deselecting the option to
"display icon in the system tray" or to "start when Windows starts."

Additionally, Look in the C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and C:\Documents and
Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up folders, and in the
system registry, primarily in the
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310560

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you: