My PC wont boot

devin93

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Hey everyone, firstly im new here so i apologise for doing anything wrong such as posting this in the wrong section.

Anyway to the main problem, basically for quite a while my PC has had a problem where roughly every 20-30 minutes it freezes for a long time (5-10 minutes), i had tried fixing it, replacing and testing hardware ect, i eventually came to the conclusion that the problem was windows 7 based, so i decided that a good course of action would be to try a repair install, i used this guide to help me out "http://www.door2windows.com/forum/topic/69-how-to-do-a-repair-install-to-fix-windows-7/" and now windows doesnt actually boot up, i wasnt watching the last part of the installation so somthing could have gone wrong but i doubt it. whenever i do try to boot it, it will show a menu with 2 options "windows 7" and "Windows 7 setup" but it only shows for roughly 2 seconds and i have tried selecting both options on startup however the outcome is always the same, it gets to the "starting windows" screen and either stays frozen for 10 minutes before shuting down or the windows logo comes up and then it freezes and shuts down.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
To install Windows 7 using the Custom option and formatting the hard disk

To format your hard disk during Windows 7 installation, you'll need to start, or boot, your computer using the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

Turn on your computer so that Windows starts normally, insert the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive, and then shut down your computer.

Restart your computer.

Press any key when prompted, and then follow the instructions that appear.

On the Install Windows page, enter your language and other preferences, and then click Next.

If the Install Windows page doesn't appear, and you're not asked to press any key, you might need to change some system settings. To learn how to do this, see Start your computer from a Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms, and then click Next.

On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Custom.

On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, click Drive options (advanced).

Click the partition that you want to change, click the formatting option you want to perform, and then follow the instructions.

When you've finished formatting, click Next.

Follow the instructions to finish installing Windows 7, which include naming your computer and setting up an initial user account.

Hi,

If you want to save your data: try booting in safe mode.... but probably won't work since their is 2 of them on the disk now.

You could put it in another working computer and move the data to an external drive or the computer itself amusing there's enough disk space on it.

also you could try with ultimate boot cd (look for torrent)

Good luck

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Download the Hiren's Boot CD (http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd)- it's free, boots in a mini WinXP or Linux /or DOS/ and has several other useful utilities for testing and repairing, and copying either.
And it can be loaded from a flash stick too - there are instructions how.

yup, sounds totally poooched. Slave the HD to another machine and copy your stuff out and do a full format install, sucks but it will be clean. Once you get it stable use ToDoBackup and image it onto an external drive for safe keeping.

devin93

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
I have just tried a clean install, it seemed to install fine but then before asking mean to adjust the time,date,PC name ect it restarted and then went straight to the starting windows screen and froze for about 10 minutes then shutdown, everytime i start it up it does the same thing, any adivce?

Hey, did u follow the area51reopened direction and started with formating the drive?

Did u select to install it in the old partition without formatting it first? U should always format for clean install.

"On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms, and then click Next.

On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Custom.

On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, click Drive options (advanced).

Click the partition that you want to change, click the formatting option you want to perform, and then follow the instructions.

When you've finished formatting, click Next.

Follow the instructions to finish installing Windows 7, which include naming your computer and setting up an initial user account."

Did u do all that?^

devin93

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Yes i did, but after installing windows it says it has to reastart to continue, it then reaches the starting windows page/screen and does nothing for around 10 minutes before shutting down