Sign in with
Your question

OC + P6T Deluxe V1 Won't Restart

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
March 4, 2010 1:43:04 PM

So being the noble and courageous person I am, I open up my Case last night to give it a dust cleaning. Take the usual air can and whatnot and clean the whole thing out. One would think it's rather harmless.

I put it all back together and boot up, it says that my OC has failed and would I like to go into the setup to change it or load the defaults. I just think that it's because I had it disconnected for a bit, maybe it went a little crazy. So I go into the BIOS and just save and exit thinking it'll just be fine and dandy. It wasn't. It hangs before even getting to POST. Just a black screen.

Try that a couple more times and then just give up and bypass the BIOS and boot into Win 7. Everything seems fine, but my internet isn't working. I go to restart the computer and it hangs before POST again. Black screen.

I don't have the computer infront of me as I am at work right now? Should I just try and clear/reset the settings and load it up and see what happens? Or do you think I fried something?

More about : p6t deluxe restart

March 4, 2010 4:57:43 PM

clean again to remove some dirt making a short circuit.

Check if CPU fan is working. ¿did you moved it? maybe is not doing good contact with the CPU, and should replace the siliconed grease.
March 4, 2010 5:27:59 PM

I'll take another run through with the duster and maybe some cotton swabs or something.

I didn't move the CPU cooler at all and it does work. Sometimes it spins down slower than I think it should though and that's generally when it makes the noise. It's a Coolermaster V8 BTW.
March 4, 2010 10:42:50 PM

“I put it all back together and boot up, it says that my OC has failed and would I like to go into the setup to change it or load the defaults.”

ASUS mobos do that for any crazy reason, as after power outages. If the computer was powered down by non normal way, you get the “failed overclocking” message.
Maybe you had the computer configured to sleep instead of power down?

“ It hangs before even getting to POST. Just a black screen. “

I would return anything to default settings (no OC), just to discard that kind of problem.
Also, I repeat, maybe the siliconed grease between the dissipater and the processor was too rigid, and some move broke it. Or maybe some move interrupted the perfect contact between processor and dissipater. That can lead to very fast heating, and crashes even before BIOS post.

“Try that a couple more times and then just give up and bypass the BIOS and boot into Win 7. Everything seems fine, but my internet isn't working. I go to restart the computer and it hangs before POST again. Black screen. “
The Internet non working suggests that maybe something is fried. Check if plugging the cable lights up the light, and check if the cable is connected (it’s obvious, but I say it anyway).
Probably you know that, but I repeat anyway: Each time you open the case, disconnect anything, (any hardware with a capacitor may hold a murder electric charge). Touch the metal in the case and touch earth to discharge static.

And NEVER push canned air without blocking the fans from rotating. Fans are electric generators. If you move them, they create electricity, and the mother most probably was not designed for that. You should block the fans with a stick (avoid metallic ones. Graphite on pencils may be electrically conductive), or disconnect the fan cable from the mother.

“I don't have the computer infront of me as I am at work right now? Should I just try and clear/reset the settings and load it up and see what happens? Or do you think I fried something?”

We can’t guess if you fried something. May be. I ever occlude the unused memory slots, because dust in the air from the CPU radiator generally accumulates over the memories. So is common that removing the memories, and/or cleaning cause dust to be introduced on the memory slots, and if the dust is conductive, it may short circuit or isolate the memories.

Maybe you left the network cable connected, and by touching the mother you caused an electrical discharge. If is only that, network cards are cheap.

The “overclocking failed” BIOS message suggest that you are shutting down the computer by a non normal way, overheating, or not enough power.
Or maybe you removed some power cable. It may be the cables from the power source, or some fan. I bet from the power source, since your computer will boot and work with some of them disconnected, but will have problems with overclocking and some devices non working. On other side, the network non working is a bad signal.

I think that maybe you pressed the overclocking reset button on the mother, but it makes non sense, as you describe this problem.
!