Dezrustrian

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Hello everyone. I just recently purchased parts off newegg to build myself a new machine. The problem I am having is that the PC doesn't post.

My parts are as follows:
Intel Core i5-660 Clarkdale 3.33GHz 4MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor
ASUS P7P55D LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
Rosewill BRONZE series RBR1000-M 1000W
Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS

On boot, the CPU light turns on, followed by the DRAM (MemOK!) light, then the CPU, then the DRAM again, which simply stays on and goes no further. I've tried hitting the MemOK! button and letting it try to configure it, but al that does is causes a few reboots with a blinking DRAM light, and then it goes back to solid and stays on.

Unfortunately I do not have a computer that supports DDR3, nor do I have other sticks of DDR3 to test in the machine. I have tested both sticks on the two sets of ram slots, and both sticks on their own in all four slots. I'm not sure if I have gotten some bad sticks, or if there is a compatibility issue. I saw someone with the exact issue I am having (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264401-30-p7p55d-system-booting-mobo), though he says it was a seating issue. I'd be willing to admit that that may be the problem, but the amount of times I have pulled the ram out and put it in makes that seem improbable.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Solution
Unseated ram is common. Try just one stick in dimm slot one. Beep codes will sometimes help if you have the case speaker lead connected. 3 beeps is often a ram problem. Read some faqs, and if necessary, take the board out of the case and do a bare post test on a non conductive surface, such as a phonebook.
Unseated ram is common. Try just one stick in dimm slot one. Beep codes will sometimes help if you have the case speaker lead connected. 3 beeps is often a ram problem. Read some faqs, and if necessary, take the board out of the case and do a bare post test on a non conductive surface, such as a phonebook.

Solution

Dezrustrian

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
It doesn't beep, but I did solve the problem. Apparently properly seated ram on this mobo requires the user to push just about hard enough to snap the board in two.

Good things to learn.