Who should even consider OC and why?

MSwhip

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
I have been inundated with reading articles on overclocking. They are mostly written for folks who have a decision made to either overclock (is it their motherboards? or )processors? or love to tinker with the bowels of their PC's

I am a few steps behind. Cannot find on this site a basic tutorial about who should be thinking about overcloscking their PC.
I have no interest in playing video games, will try and build my next PC and I want it with a motherboard that comes with integrated graphics and video.
My needs are of a different nature, I want a blazing fast power machine for general computing, watch and record TV online(dual tu tuner will be on) with fast web browsing , online chat and convenience items i.e Frontal panel USB 3.0 and eSata ports are a MUST. I have risk aversion when it comes to tinker with the architecture of my Desktop PC
be them the current one or the future ones. So with this in mind should i be needing OC at all? I will surely not try to manually OC, but if it is safe, i might consider getting a Mobo that has the Auto Click OC option.

So what could you guys offer as advice for a non gaming machine re the OC concept?

I will appreciate knowledgeable contributions.

Thank you kindly.

According to what you said above I think a small to moderate overclock would be fine. As you mentioned above, many motherboard makers offer auto overclocking software or built in firmware that will do it for you. This is a good place to start as you do not need any experience in overclocking to work these pieces of software. The benefit you would see is a decrease in loading time and extending the life of the computer for a bit longer. On the first question you asked, you generally overclock the CPU but when you want a more extreme overclock you will also have to OC the motherboard as well. I would also highly recommend an SSD. ( solid state drive) It would greatly increase boot times and application loading speeds as well as system stability.

MSwhip

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010

You are a rude, meddling self -righteous cretin. If you have nothing progressive to contribute, and you just love to bring aggression, just stay away

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Why OC: Superior performance boost
Why not OC: Degrades Hardware lifespan
Why you should Never OC at all: Uses too much power(2600k OC to 4.9GHz uses 200Watts+) which causes shutdown or other problem which should do no harm unless voltage too high lol...

MSwhip

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010

Thank you, when you say cpu level up with motherboard, do you mean use this new function some motherboards have to automatically overclock? or are you talkign about something else?

jemm

Distinguished
For your use ie. "for general computing, watch and record TV online(dual tu tuner will be on) with fast web browsing , online chat", you should not even think about an hardware upgrade.

You have already much more than enough hardware to do your tasks.

I second all SSD suggestions tough.

OP config:
Dell Studio 540 Intel Q9550 2.83 Mhtz Quad Core, Windows Home Premium 64-bit, 6GB DDR2 RAM dual channel PC 6400 800 Mhz, nVidia GTS 240 1Gb Video Card - Haupagge 1250 single TV tuner card. Western Digital Black Caviar 2TB 2001FASS.