Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to Remove SB heatsink/fan

Last response: in Motherboards
March 4, 2010 1:55:05 PM

The heaksink/fan appears to be connected with a spring loaded mechanism that has two spring post on either side of the heatsink. I can lift it up a millimeter or so but that's it. How do I remove the heatsink? I'm wondering if my SB is the reason my computer will not turn back on. I turned off the computer to blow out the inside of it. While I had the case open I was jacking around with the sb heatsink because the fan started making noise. After hooking the computer back up it will not turn on. I've ruled out a bad power switch and the green light on the mb is on. Ohh, it's an ASUS A8N SLI mb. Thanks!

More about : remove heatsink fan

Best solution

March 4, 2010 4:28:50 PM

Take the motherboard out, turn it upside down, and if you look you will see that when the pin is pushed through the motherboard it expands, so you need to grip the bottom of the pin with a pair of plyers so it is narrow enough to fit through the hole and voila
March 4, 2010 5:02:39 PM

I kind of thought that was the case. :(  I really don't want to pull the board out. It there any chance the chip could have been damage when I pulled the hs away from it?
m
l
Related resources
March 8, 2010 2:52:52 PM

Best answer selected by doczenith1.
m
l
March 9, 2010 7:41:24 AM

Not really, The only way you could have damaged something is if you have REALLY yanked on it , I mean propper pulled it and bent/bowed the motherboard but they can be quite resilient. It will be fine :) .

Are you getting no action whats so ever when you power on?, are you getting a post?
m
l
!