Should I start over?

gargamel301

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Hi, I last built my CPU at the end of 06.

-my mobo is - ASUS A8N-SLI Premium 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
-my CPU is - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 2.2GHz Socket 939 89W Dual-Core Processor
-my video card - GeForce 6800XT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card
-and I have 1 GB of mem.

I have been doing some video editing (which has not been too bad), and will be doing more throughout the summer. I don't play that many games on my CPU anymore, basicly web stuff, and video editing. I just got windows 7, but have not installed it yet. The CPU has been reseting everynow and then (seems like a mem dump everynow and then). Sometimes firefox will stall and freeze CPU for a while then it will kick back in, just little things here and there, but overall its pretty stable for a CPU I built so long ago.

My question is, I know this stuff is pretty old, will I be good for more video editing by just maxing out my memory? Or would I be better served getting new MObo + processor + Ram?

Big problem is that since I built my last CPU, I have had twin boys and second job, so I am pretty much out of touch with the latest & greatest components and parts. I went on new egg and I have no idea what I am looking at now. So with taxes coming I will have a little extra income (maybe about $150-$300) to put towards doing some upgrades. So do you think more mem would be enough, or do you have some budget but good components suggestions that would help me upgrade.

thanks for any help you can give me :)

First, CPU refers to the chip that is on your motherboard, under your heatsink fan. It's one of many components that make up your PC. :)

There's not much point in putting $$ into your current hardware. The upgrades below would be the base for a nice system. You could upgrade the video card and/or the PSU if you'd like down the line.

Here's a nice CPU/motherboard combo - $205 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.352757
4GB G.Skill RAM - $109
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231275&cm_re=ddr3_1333-_-20-231-275-_-Product

gargamel301

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Thanks for the reply. That may be doable. I hope I dont have to change my case and everything also.

Any other configurations you guys reccommend closer to the $200 mark, or is that just crazy thinking?