Sign in with
Your question

Crossfire Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
March 4, 2010 2:58:10 PM

Hey all,

I'm starting to piece together components for a new gaming rig. Budget is rather tight, but not necessarily bottom of the barrel. I'll be looking to buy components over the next couple of months.

Right now, I'm considering a dual ATI Crossfire solution, using two "XFX HD-575X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5750 1GB".

I'm also looking at an Athlon II x4 630.

My initial MB selection was an Asus M4A79XTD, but then I saw the PCIe slots only allowed one of the graphics card 16 channels, the other ran at 8.

If the secondary Crossfire card is in the PCIe(x8) slot, will that be much of an issue? Should I look for a MB that allows both cards to use 16 channels?

I've already purchased a Cooler Master Centurion 590 case and installed an Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU.

Thanks all.

JC

More about : crossfire motherboard

a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2010 4:21:53 PM

Toms just wrote an article about the limitations(or lack of) when running video cards on boards such as the p55 (will do 8x8) and x58 (will do 16x16). I know you are going AMD, but it's the limitation of 8x8 that you are looking at. The performance difference was rather minimal (I think around 5-10% was the biggest difference) unless you were using top tier cards, which the ones you've selected are not.

Ultimately, it would be better to have 16x16 support, but I would not say its worth more than $50 in an upgraded motherboard. For the extra money, you could get better graphics cards that would negate any benefit you'd get from the 16x16 speed.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 295 V Motherboard
March 4, 2010 5:48:28 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the TOm's hardwqare forum.

The difference between x16 and x8 in crossfire or SLI isn't big, so, IMO you don't need spend $179 in a mobo like this that support crosffire in x16
m
l
!