Have run both BitDefender 2012 and Prevx 3 just prior to creating this post. No change. CCcleaner is run on a regular basis and have just reduced the Internet cache to min 50 mb, and deleted everything - temp files, etc. No change.
Running 8Gs o' ram - Logitech G15 says I'm typically using about 30% or so of ram.
The delay is ONLY going to the web - Google searches and such. All other performance is normal and excellent
Def have moved away from Reg Cleaners - all seem bogus except CCleaner. Have ran "steps 1 & 2" - nothing serious found, removed what was found - no change.
I've entered "http://www.tomshardware.com" in each browser on that machine, and FF and Chrome hung for a LONG time on "waiting for www.tomshardware.com" - but finally did appear. We are talking MINUTEs here. Just now IE9 finally returned with the site.
This keeps feeling like a flaky NIC - (onboard Asus Mobo) - seems like the system is pretty clean now and still hanging... ARRRGH!!
I have an Asus P5N-D with an onboard nvidia 1gb nic. My internet downloads started sucking, so I would go to speed test.net and get like .5mbs down. Then I do the same test on a USB nic and I get 20mbs.I pay extra for "boost" which is supposed to be 20-30mbs download and 5 up.
I thought it was a virus so I did a clean install of Win7 and the issue came back. Anyway I installed a $5 pci 1gb nic and eveything has been great ever since.
I can only guess the onboard nic freaked out.
Oh yah I also tired win xp and every single nvidia driver and chipset package I could find. The issue was intermitten but it always came back. I searched all over the interwebs and found nothing related to my issue. That was about a year ago the PCI card has been great.
As it turns out, IDM - Internet Download Manager is causing the big delay! The program is awesome and works great - but after it is used, it leaves 2 processes running which cause the delay. I did a bunch of Clean Installs and worked my down, turning off processes and startups, and is the culprit.
If I use the program, and then go to the web, the big hang begins. Then I go to Task Manager, and end the IDM process tree - go back to the web - and... Volia! The pages appear quickly again. I've sent 4 emails to them regarding this but so far, no reply or comment.
One last thought: The IDM processes def slow down all the browsers. It is very testable. HOWEVER: I think FireFox 7.01 still has some major performance issues, especially after it has been ran for awhile. Chrome and IE9 seem to, pretty much, keep their speed up after the IDM processes have been killed off...