4 Bay Icy Dock External Enclosure for 3.5" 3 TB Drives

SLR2009

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Hi, I would like to buy the 4 Bay Icy Dock external enclosure but first I have a bunch of questions about it. I would like to buy a 4-5 bay external enclosure that supports 3 TB Drives.

It's for 3.5" Sata Drives. I need 12 tb of storage space with the ability to add more storage space. I would buy two 4 bay Icy Dock external enclosures. Is the Icy Dock enclosure easy to setup? Do I just format the drives?

Does my computer need to support 3 TB? Do I need to buy anything for my 2 year old windows 7 computer or my 2 year old Mac Pro to get the enclosure to work?

Does the Icy Dock support mixing and matching of drives? I would like it to work with both my Mac and PC. I don't need a Raid setup.

The enclosure needs to have USB 2.0 or Firewire. Any other good 4-5 bay enclosures that you would recommend that supports 3 TB Drives?

Any info is greatly appreciated

Solution
JBOD is JUST a BUNCH Of DRIVE, when connect you will see multiple drives.

But there are many manufactures, who very deceiving calls a SPAN / BIG (combine drives as ONE volume) as a JBOD.

I wont deal with those companies, to me they have no knowledge on raid, cuz they can not even differentiate a mode of a raid. lol

With span/big, then you can lost the data, and may need to do a recovery, but this process relative easy.

Where JBOD the remain drives data still intact.

Hope this answer your question

SLR2009

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Hi, please help, I want to make sure that I'm buying a good product. What do you guys think of the Quad Bay Icy Dock External Enclosure? Do I need to install the eSATA Port Multiplier in my PC if I want to use the eSATA connection? Does my PC have to support 3 TB drives for the enclosure to work? Is the Icy dock easy to set up? is it just plug and play or is there something else that I have to do to get it working? Anyone?

FireWire2

Distinguished

I can be wrong, as far as I know there is NO manufacture that offers more than TWO drive JBOD mode in FireWire400/800

DATOptic has such box UF8-R5J

When you order, take the eSATA option so you would have five interfaces that support RAID and non RAID function FireWire400/800/eSATA/USB3.0/USB2.0

The website states it supports 3TB HDD

FireWire2

Distinguished

I'm not sure cuz I do not have the exact model
Worst case, you need to buy a SiI3132 card with eSATA (eSATA_PCIe21) around 20's then you are done

For FireWire400/800 and USB2.0 there is nothing else required, just plug in you will see 15TB total with five 3.0TB drives.

FireWire2

Distinguished
Yes you can, but most likely it sees ONE drive

It needs PM ware supported to see more than one drive

There are TWO type of eSATA host:
Simple eSATA - one to one - mainly from AMD, Nvida, Intel...
PM supported eSATA - able to see more than one drive via PM technology - mainly support by Silicon Image, Marvell chipset

There are some manufactures claim SPAN and BIG (combine all drives as a BIG drive) is JBOD

That is a total stupid and mislead

I though you're interested in FireWire host connection for MAC and PC

SLR2009

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Thanks. So if I bought the JBOD Enclosure then it would be looked at as one massive drive? so if one drive fails then I would lose all my data? Are there enclosures that would look at each drive individually and not one massive drive?

FireWire2

Distinguished
JBOD is JUST a BUNCH Of DRIVE, when connect you will see multiple drives.

But there are many manufactures, who very deceiving calls a SPAN / BIG (combine drives as ONE volume) as a JBOD.

I wont deal with those companies, to me they have no knowledge on raid, cuz they can not even differentiate a mode of a raid. lol

With span/big, then you can lost the data, and may need to do a recovery, but this process relative easy.

Where JBOD the remain drives data still intact.

Hope this answer your question

Solution