Beeping - GPU and CPU temp well within OK...

Louche

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Hi,

Sorry, but I'm in need of some help and advice. I have just received a new desktop computer, but I'm having some problems and I'm not computer-literate enough to find out what the problem is.

The computer is a:

Corsair Obsidian 800D Big Tower
Intel® Core i7-2600K Processor
Antec Kuhler H2O 920 CPU
MSI Z68A-GD65 (Gen3), Socket-1155
Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 16GB
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 590 3072MB PhysX CUDA
Corsair SSD Force Series GT 120GB
CyberPower Value 600E UPS Green Power

The problem I'm having is when I'm playing Skyrim at 2560x1440. It works fine in 1920x1080 where I can play for hours, but after 5-15 minutes of playing at 2560x1440 the computer starts beeping - those type of system beeps coming from the actual computer. I assumed that it had to do with GPU or CPU temp warnings, but my GPU can be at only mid-60 celsius when it starts beeping (and some times at close to 80 celcius), and the CPU is only around 30-40 celsius. The beeping is apparently related to the high load when I'm playing at 2560. It is running perfectly smooth at 2560 with great FPS - apart from the beeping of course. Does anyone have an idea of what could be wrong?

Solution
You are probably going over the power rated for the UPS so it is getting close to shutting down. I would just get a larger UPS or watch what your computer draws if your UPS tells you the load on it.

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Can you change the GPU temp warnings threshold to a lower number? Just to see if the beeping is in fact caused by a temperature problem... should be able to set it in the Nvidia control panel.

Louche

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Thank you for your answers.

The power supply is a Corsair TX V2 850W PSU.

I can't find where to adjust the temp warning for the GPU. I'm not able to find those settings in the Nvidia control panel. The thing is that I first thought it was the GPU temp as it was rising quickly to 77-80 celcius, and the system would start beeping. I then changed the curve of the fan in MSI Afterburner so that it would go to 100 % when the temp got above 65 degrees. That caused the GPU temp to not go above 65 degrees, but the computer would still start beeping. I guess it still could be a GPU temp warning, but in that case it must be set extremely low (under 65 celcius).

Louche

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Wow. You guys are good. Yes, it worked fine when I plugged it directly into the wall outlet. And yes, on closer inspection it does seem like the beeping is coming from the UPS. Stupid of me not to notice that. But what does this all mean? What is causing the beeping?

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
UPS usually beep when the batteries are running low, bad, or need to be replaced. It may be caused by an "overload"... but more likely the Batteries are bad. Lol... glad you "resolved" your problem... at least its not your PC... :)