Gigabyte GA-Z86AP-D3 + 2500k multiplier won't go above 41x - why?

overfocused

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I have read around the internet and many folks with the GA-z68AP-D3 can push their multipliers to 46x and beyond. Why is mine locked at 41x max? Is it a limit of revision 1.0? This mobo/cpu combo is supposed to go go 4.4-4.6GHz without even thinking, on stock air cooling. At 4.1 it is stable but I'd like to max out my stable clock before needing to bump the vcore up, which should be 4.4Ghz according to most other people who have done it.

I've updated the BIOS and that didn't help. Can I raise the limit of the multiplier or am I SOL?

Solution
Firstly, your not going to overclock to 4.6 on stock air cooling. What happens when you set your multiplier higher then 41? My i7-2600k requires 1.375 vcore to achieve 4.5ghz, just cause other people get away with amazing clocks without high numbers doesn't always mean you will, Each cpu is unique afterall. If it's letting you change the number and just crashing then it might be you need more volts, if your changing the multiplier and can't get it over 4.1 then it might be your not multiplier unlocked. Double check your cpu reads as a K model, seen other posts like this and even though you pay for the K doesn't mean the supplier got it right. Also post complete specs of your rig, always makes life easier when you can see the whole scope.

benikens

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Firstly, your not going to overclock to 4.6 on stock air cooling. What happens when you set your multiplier higher then 41? My i7-2600k requires 1.375 vcore to achieve 4.5ghz, just cause other people get away with amazing clocks without high numbers doesn't always mean you will, Each cpu is unique afterall. If it's letting you change the number and just crashing then it might be you need more volts, if your changing the multiplier and can't get it over 4.1 then it might be your not multiplier unlocked. Double check your cpu reads as a K model, seen other posts like this and even though you pay for the K doesn't mean the supplier got it right. Also post complete specs of your rig, always makes life easier when you can see the whole scope.

Solution

overfocused

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Re-checked my invoice from Newegg.com, and all I have to say is "balls!" It's the 2500 not the 2500k, no mistake on invoice. Well, either way I wasn't planning on going past 4.4 so 4.1 is all right with me. Running stably for 2 days @ 4.1 now. I can probably wring 4.2 out if I bump the CPU base frequency but is bumping it to 102 or 103 potentially risking CPU life a lot more than just a normal 1x increase in multiplier?

One thing I just LOL'd at myself about: I have had my case lid off since I installed this new mobo/processor, so I never noticed which direction the CPU fan was blowing in. I put the lid on, and ran Intel's burn in test and was running at 75C max on all cores. Turns out the cpu fan is blowing in the wrong direction in a fairly sealed case (3rd party sideways mounted fan) I took the lid off and it went to 61-71C max between the cores within 1 minute. Derp!

benikens

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I don't think changing the base frequency should hurt to much, but because it's integrated unlike a regular bclk it also effects the frequency of your pcie lanes i read somewhere. If you can get away with a minor increase i think it should be ok, I've only seen people doing that when benching high overclocks though, most people just multiplier overclock. Sucks it's not a K model though.

overfocused

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Yeah, but since 4.4Ghz was my end goal I'm not overly disappointed. I'm actually quite happy. I bumped base clock to 102 for now and I'm running @ 4.2. IntelBurnTest ran stably though 7 cycles instead of the normal 5 and it works fine.

Maybe I can hit 4.3-4.4 via base clock and get away with it all anyway :) running @ 54C max core in BF3 set to all ultra settings @ 1920x1200. The real-world results are thermally much more encouraging than the IntelBurnTest results, haha.