I posted this in the wrong forum yesterday and it was clear that I should still consider the i5 750 so ive put it back in.
I got some money or my birthday which is why I've upped my budget from last time
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: within 2 weeks apart from graphics card
BUDGET RANGE: UK £800-£1100
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Schoolwork, Watching Movies, surfing web
PARTS NOT REQUIRED/Already Bought:
Mouse, Keyboard, Belkin media reader, WD 320gb external hard drive
Graphics card £150 (amount i'm keeping back for one either a new ati dx11 card or ati 4890)
Trust 2.0 speakers £9.56
Windows 7 Pre-Order £63.99
Benq g2220hd 22" 1900x1080 monitor £131
1tb WD green (WD10eads) £57
Colermaster HAF 922 £89.94
Noctua NF-P12 case fan £17.04
Ocz Freeze £3.13
Scythe Mugen 2
Lg GH22NS50 dvd rw
If you are planning for multiple card configuration, then the i7 is the better option...And I would suggest you spend a little more and get a better board - Asus Rampage Gene...It is better to invest in higher quality boards as you will be keeping the PC for a long time...
The real question is do you want to spend 75 monetary units extra on the more powerful CPU ( i7 ) or hold it back to make sure you can afford one of the new GPUs and just have a strong processor (i5).
For gaming performance, getting the i5 and a better GPU now is the short term winner. The i7 has the capability to be faster later if you go dual GPUs or ever get into heavy multi-threaded applications. The new DX11 5800s should ship in europe in 8 days (Sept 23rd).
The AMD cpu is slower, more expensive and has no upgrade room. Not a sensible option right now.
From what i've seen the 955be may be more future proof (i.e last a few months longer than i5 750) the board is ace.
Well i'll look at the asrock extreme aswell, it was a great find, ive only seen the deluxe version which is a fair bit more. I still don't know if its better than the pro e but I'll find that out later, if its not worse than the pro e I may go with that board since its cheaper.