Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Connecting P182 built-in fans to GB motherboard

Last response: in Systems
September 15, 2009 1:14:59 PM

Hello. I am in the process of building my first computer, and even though people say that all idiots can do it, apparently only most can. So I apologize on forehand for stupid questions.

The specs to my newly bought-in system is as follows:
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3, P45,
ANTEC Performance P182 Miditower
INTEL Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
OCZ TECH OCZ Gold XTC 4096MB DDR2 PC6400 (2x2 GB)
CORSAIR Powersupply 650W Black
GAINWARD Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
ZALMAN CNPS9500LED
SAMSUNG SpinPoint F1 750GB SATA2

1: As you might be aware, the P182 comes with one fan in the top, one in the back, one near the PSU in the bottom and one in 'the middle'. I'm a bit confused on how to connect these fans. I've connected the fan connectors to the back of the molex cable coming from the PSU, but where do I put it next? I would have thought I would plug it into the PWR_FAN connector, but it does not appear to fit, as the plug has 4 pins, the PWR_FAN has 3 pins, and the plug 'bulges out' in the wrong way to make it fit.

Am I just supposed to plug the fan connectors to the back of the molex and leave it that, or do I have to actually plug it in somewhere? I'm a bit puzzled, as it does not appear to fit anywhere, not in the PWR_FAN nor in the SYS_FAN, and the CPU_FAN is already taken by the Zalman cooler.

(Product manual, if necessary, can be found at: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Manual_M...).

2: The PSU comes with a HD_AUDIO and a AC'97 plug. Which one do I use? I'm planning to use the built-in audio card which comes with the motherboard.

3: Does it matter which SATA connector I plug the various units (the hard disk and the DVD-rom)?

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
September 15, 2009 2:10:09 PM

Antec is a bit annoying in thet they provide no option for connecting chassis fans to MoBos. You connect the fan wires to the Molex and you're done......or.....you get a doohickey like this to make the connection from fan to MoBo.

http://www.svc.com/4to3ad.html

As for SATA, check your MoBo manual for any specifics, especially if RAID provided. Lacking any specific direction, I start at lowest numbered connection for HD's and highest for opticals, working my may towards the middle as I add stuff.

!