No video display on cold boot.

hobbes203

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
My computer is about two weeks old and I cannot get video feed on my monitor if I do a cold boot. An example is turning it off for the night and the nexy day I turn it on, there is no video display.

I could turn it off after a couple of minutes by holding down the power button and turn it back on, a few times more or less. Or if I had my computer on and I just do a restart, the video display still remains there. Basically warm boots give me a video display.

I reseated the RAM and video card, which gives no solution, and I am currently doing a memtest. It may be the PSU but I doubt it is. Any solutions?

Edit: I can confirm that the system posts correctly, gives the POST beep and the debug LED shows that there are no problems. All the fans and LED's in the computer run when powered on, including the video card. Only the monitor has no video feed.

kufan64

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
If you've got another monitor you can test it on, definitely do so. If you still hear it POST correctly even without monitor feedback, then there probably isn't an issue with the computer and only an issue with the monitor. I'd also try another monitor cable as well.

What kind of monitor do you have? CRT? LCD? How old is it?

hobbes203

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I have dual monitor support, both monitors and individually do not display video. Here is my complete system specs:

Intel Core i7 920
Asrock x58 Extreme Motherboard
OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600
XFX Radeon HD 4890 1GB GPU
Corsair 750HX PSU 80 PLUS SILVER

My monitor is an Acer I bought a year back and a Dell from about 2 years ago. 19 inch monitors.

If I let my computer sit there with no video feed my debug led goes to AA which means that I am in Windows, waiting for my password. So the issue shouldn't be the system. I'm going to make sure the connections are tight and test each video card slot. Could this be the GPU/Motherboard problem?

Edit: The CMOS reset before performing a cold boot works but I must do it every time. Also, I get an error about the CMOS and asked to return it to default or check out the setup.

2nd EDIT: Also, one thing I have forgotten to mention, sometimes when I perform a warm boot, and the video appears, I see artifacts on my screen. Green or white. This usually leads to a blue screen and a restart occurs.