Amd phenom II x4 940 not showing 4 cores in temp. monitors

killstation3

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I just recently upgraded my cpu from an amd athlon X2 64 7850 kuma to an amd phenom II x4 940 OC @ 3.5.
when I would check in core temp. or amd overdrive it would only show 2 cores instead of 4. But when I went into the Bios it would show all 4 cores. Also when I updated the performance number in windows 7 it was only .2 points higher (6.7). I have the latest bios there is and I am a little worried. Can anyone tell me how to fix this, and if not at least tell me if this problem will cause any performance issues?

killstation3

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

Ok.
But I have 2 questions:

1. how do I re-install windows 7?
2. I used the upgrade from vista to 7, would that affect the process of re-installing windows 7?

crazy359

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
I have two things to tell you, first of all press ctrl+alt+delete and see if you have 4 cores.
Second of all LOL expect sometin like this from AMD......cuz its AMD
(my personal opinion notin much)

killstation3

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

No, I do not see 4 graphs, only 2.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
It has NOTHING to do with AMD.

If you only have a upgrade disk for windows 7 then you cant do a clean install with that. You would have to install vista first. Then update that.

If you have a full version of windows 7 then you can just wipe it and do a clean install.

Why did you even overclock the cpu before you checked the everything on the cpu was working correctly?

killstation3

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

I overclocked it after I found out that it only showed 2 cores, because I at least wanted to get some extra performance out of it; if it was only using 2 cores and I was going to overclock it anyway.

This would be my guess too.

I am thinking that what happened is that upgrade from Vista to 7 caused the registry to be stuck with seeing it as two cores instead of four. So even when you put the quad in, 7 still sees 4.

Do what someguy said. If you have the disk you can try a clean install by doing this:

Start up the PC and boot to the DVD disk for 7. Then prompt to do a clean install. If its like XP and Vista it may ask for you to put a previouse version of Windows disk into the drive to verify you have a old copy. If you do and it does ask this then it will ask for the Windows 7 disk and to a clean install.

Thats how I did my XP Pro installs with a upgrade version when I had 98 previously. Didn't have to have 98 installed, just had to put the disk in during the install.

cmtann

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Hey killstation 3,
did u managed to solve ur problems? I am facing the same as u, upgraded from 7850 BE Kuma to Athlon II X4 620. Upgraded my bios and Amd power monitor, win gadget etc only show 2 cores working ...... what's the problem?

killstation3

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

Unfortunately I have not solved the problem. But i thinks it's because windows doesn't recognize the other 2 cores , since it activated and only remembers you having a dual core. I think that reinstalling windows might work, but i haven't done it yet because i have to get an external drive to back up my files.If you try it and it works please let me know. Also if any one knows if this problem will cause any performance issues please let me know.

cmtann

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

Ok, u got to clean install Windows ( I got Win 7 64bit, recognize 4GB ram now as compared to 3.25Gb ram in 32bit version). Now 4 cores working better than earlier with 2 cores. Can feel and see the differences. CPU less taxing. I am not sure if it is due to 64bit. If I were u, get a pendrive n transfer ur files over. 2) partition and transfer your files there. Just use drive c as drive c (for installation). better name ur other drives so u wont get mix-up. Anyway tq for ur reply. It has nothing to do with the BIOS. regards

killstation3

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

So did you use another drive or did you just transfer all of ur files to the pendrive.Also what do u mean when you say "partition and transfer your files there"?. Like you just made another partition on the same drive and before you did a clean install or after, and you just transfer the files to the other partition and windows picks up those files instantly? (i'm a little confused) :)

goofytek

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

Did you check inside MSCONFIG?

1. Windows Key + R
2. MSCONFIG
3. Boot tab
4. Adv Options Button
5. then check if the "Number of Processor" option box is UNCHECKED

msconfig.jpg

randomizer

Champion
^Yea do that. If it's unchecked, try checking it and picking 4 cores. If it's checked already, uncheck it. Reboot to see if anything changed in the Task Manager each time.

Also, Phenom II CPUs will only report one unique temperature for the cores, and most software will display the same reading for every core all the time.