Dangling wires bothering me

I have a 650W Corsair PSU that isn't modular so there are wires hanging all over the place. I'm concerned that these wires are having a detrimental effect on my airflow, plus it just looks messy. I do plan on crossfiring in about a year, but no overclocking the CPU.

Is it worth it to switch up to a modular PSU? I had this computer built just a few weeks ago, so am I just being anal about it?

Here's my build:
Intel Core i7-920
Diamond Radeon HD 5970
Patriot DDR3 6GB 1333MHz Tri Channel
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
Corsair CMPSU-650TX- 650W
WD 750GB Serial ATA/300HD, 32 MB buffer
Cooler Master HAF 932
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD-RW Gen II
Netgear WG311 G PCI 54 Mbps Wireless-G PCI Adapter
Windows 7 Home Premium
23 answers Last reply
More about dangling wires bothering
  1. You just need to get creative with some wire ties. Obviously whoever did the work for you was not very thorough. I try to do wire management as I go. It makes things easier overall.
  2. It is a matter of cable management.

I just happen to have the Coolermaster HAF 932 case. The case is wider than normal. There is extra space between the motherboard tray and the right side panel. Route your wires behind the motherboard tray. You can also stuff the extra unused power cables behind the motherboard tray. It may take a few tries and there may be a little frustration but if you take your time and think things through you can do it. Wire or plastic zip ties are real handy for cable management.

There is another option. If the drive bay at the very bottom of the case is empty you can stuff unused psu cables in there. It won't interfere with air flow.
  3. ckim2116 said:
    I have a 650W Corsair PSU that isn't modular so there are wires hanging all over the place. I'm concerned that these wires are having a detrimental effect on my airflow, plus it just looks messy. I do plan on crossfiring in about a year, but no overclocking the CPU.

Is it worth it to switch up to a modular PSU? I had this computer built just a few weeks ago, so am I just being anal about it?

Here's my build:
    Intel Core i7-920
    Diamond Radeon HD 5970
    Patriot DDR3 6GB 1333MHz Tri Channel
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    Corsair CMPSU-650TX- 650W
    WD 750GB Serial ATA/300HD, 32 MB buffer
    Cooler Master HAF 932
    Lite-On 24X SATA DVD-RW Gen II
    Netgear WG311 G PCI 54 Mbps Wireless-G PCI Adapter
    Windows 7 Home Premium

I would consider getting a beefier PSU if you are going to crossfire that badboy, that is 600 w of power just to the vid cards alone, 50w is not enough to power the rest of your system (Im assuming you are going to CF another 5970 in there)

Because you are going to NEED another psu you can go ahead and get a modular if that bothers you and you dont mind paying the extra
  4. wsupduck - glad you caught the 5970 Crossfire because I missed the Crossfire part..

ckimm2116 - Do you actually have an ATI Radeon HD 5970 video card? As far as I know the card is not yet available in the USA.

Here are the official power requirements for the brand new ATI Radeon™ HD 5970 video card:

ATI Radeon™ HD5970 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

650 Watt or greater power supply with one 75 watt, 6-pin and one 150 watt, 8-pin PCI Express® power connectors

850 Watt power supply with two 75 watt 6-pin, and two 150 watt, 8-pin, PCI Express connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode

The power supply recommendations are for an entire pc system.
  5. JohnnyLucky said:
    wsupduck - glad you caught the 5970 Crossfire because I missed the Crossfire part..

ckimm2116 - Do you actually have an ATI Radeon HD 5970 video card? As far as I know the card is not yet available in the USA.

Here are the official power requirements for the brand new ATI Radeon™ HD 5970 video card:

ATI Radeon™ HD5970 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

650 Watt or greater power supply with one 75 watt, 6-pin and one 150 watt, 8-pin PCI Express® power connectors

850 Watt power supply with two 75 watt 6-pin, and two 150 watt, 8-pin, PCI Express connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode

The power supply recommendations are for an entire pc system.

Yes, the specifications I gave were for a computer that was already built and is currently being used. I snagged the only 5970 there was in the San Diego Fry's. Anyway, crossfiring is a plan for the future when the price of 5970's goes down. For right now, the only thing bothering me are the cables. I'll try to ziptie them :)
  6. If you have a 932, cable management is so easy. You have a couple inches of space behind the motherboard to stuff the cable in there and even then cable management is good. I have a Corsair 850TX which has loads of wires but cable managment was a cake walk with this case compared to others i've done. And also, the HAF 932 has such good airflow that wires won't even make a difference. Plus the case a big hard drive and DVD drive bay, you can remove the Hard drive slots and put wires in there or tie them up with a wire tie and place them into the DVD drive bay. However the space behind the motherboard should be plenty of wire organization.
  7. But when you get your next 5970 if the wires bother you that much, go ahead and buy a modular psu such as this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182188&cm_re=modular_psu-_-17-182-188-_-Product

you dont have to just if the wires really bother you
  8. I'd avoid that particular PSU - Rosewill is not known for quality. Yes modular would be nice, but I wouldn't sacrifice quality to get there.
  9. ^5 +1 what huron said.

Rosewill is a private label subsidiary of Newegg. Rosewill used to have a very bad reputation for power supplies and still does. For the most part they were very low budget psu's of questionable performance and value. They did try to improve the quality and they do have a small number of new improved models. A while back I read several technical reviews and they seem to be okay. The 1,000 watt power supply is supposed to be one of the new improved models.
  10. It said 80% efficiency so
  11. wsupduck - I don't doubt that. Normally google is my friend but I can't find any competent technical reviews for that new 1000 watt model.
  12. ckim2116 said:

Cable management does take a little forethought on your part while building the rig so you don't end up with a rats nest, blocking your airflow path, nylon wire ties are your friend.

Modular matters not, that is not a modular P/S pictured, what matters is can the P/S handle what you're throwing its way.
  13. 4ryan6 - nice and clean! :)
  14. Though I am sure many will argue otherwise, and post googled articles to support their position, I am not all that big a fan of 100% modular PSU's....Hybrid modular, yes, big fan .... 100% modular, no reason for it.:

1. There's a reason everything that plugs into a MoBo has gold contacts and that reason is corrosion. Corrosion increases resistance and does affect signal quality. Walk into a hi end audiophile store and you will see "minimalism" is the order of the day. Every button, switch, dial ...anything that relies on "contact surfaces" decreases signal quality. So that's why a preamp might have avolume and balance dial and nothing else.....the quadrophonic system with all the dials and gauges is reserved for Walmart shoppers looking for the OOBE buzz rather than sound quality.

2. The fact is, how many of these can you "not connect" ?

24 pin MoBo Connector
    8 pin EPS connector
    1st set of SATA Power
    1st set of Molex
    1st PCI-e card

If we accept it as a given, that we gonna use at least these in every system, then making them modular serves no real purpose.

3. More resistance increases heat and drops efficiency.

4. Yes, the difference sare small but so are the differences between a $129 PSU and a $229 PSU but peeps are willing to pay for those small differences.

Don't believe me ? ... how about PC power & Cooling, Seasonic, Corsair, OCZ and Enermax all say the same thing.

Here's PC Power and Cooling's take:

"Due to their look, convenience, and cost savings for manufacturers, modular plugs have become a popular power supply feature. Unfortunately, there has been little or no discussion of the impact of this feature on overall performance and reliability. The fact is, modular plugs limit power by adding to electrical resistance. The voltage drop can be as much as would occur in 2 feet of standard wire. Worse yet, modular plugs utilize delicate pins that can easily loosen, corrode, and burn, creating the potential for a major system failure. That's why professional system builders specify uninterrupted wire!"

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/power-supplies-psu,8016.html

A Hybrid PSU that has the absolutely necessary things hard wired and the optional things modular is to my mind the best compromise available. Even if you dismiss the reasoning offered by the manufacturers, there really is no point to a modular connector for a cable that you must use.

From a"Everything ya wanted to know about PSU's" kinda article:

http://www.frozencpu.com/help/h32/Power_Supply_FAQ.html

What are the different kinds of Cable Management?

There are generally three kinds of cable management systems a PSU can use, each with their own pros and cons:

* Traditional PSU: All cables are connected directly to the PSU, including extra and potentially unused cables. The big advantage is these have the lowest wire-transmission loss. The disadvantage is cable clutter can be difficult to manage and causes a reduction in airflow that is crucial to system cooling.
    * Modular PSU: All cables can be unplugged from the PSU so only the necessary cables are routed through the case. Makes for the best cable management for the lowest airflow restriction but also causes the highest wire-transmission loss, meaning the voltage reaching the components might not be correct.
    * Hybrid Modular PSU: The latest layout looks for the best of both worlds by permanently attaching the core necessary cables (like the 24 Pin Motherboard cable) directly to the PSU and making the potentially unused cables modular. This usually allows for as good a cable management setup and easy airflow as fully modular PSUs since few projects don't require the core cables, but it also reduces wire transmission loss because of the directly attached cables.
  15. ckim2116 said:

What's wrong w/ being anal ? Tho if you write that on a MS Support foum, they blank it out. :)

A good case like the Antec 1200 or HAF 932 will do a lot to help you here with holes in the MoBo tray, nooks and crannies to hide wires in and even some plastic ties are provided to help tie things down. I use stick on clips and plastic ties where needed and I sleeve everything .... not only does it reduce clutter and improve air flow but it's aesthetically pleasing. here';s some of the things I use:

Sleeving - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3726/slv-25/Ultra_Blue_UV_Reactive_14_Nylon_Cable_Sleeve.html?tl=g35c177s363

Heat Shrink - http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g35/c181/s374/list/p1/SleevingHeatshrink-Heat_Shrink_UV-14_UV_Heat_Shrink-Page1.html

Tie Wraps - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3792/tiw-07/7_Blue_Tie_Wraps.html?tl=g35c34s94

Wire Saddles - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8041/tiw-106/ModSmart_Wire_Saddle_-_38_Clip_Style_-_UV_Blue.html?tl=g35c34s806

Gotta say I am too cheap to buy specialized saddles and tie wraps from a PC Speed Shop .... True Value Hardware is mucho cheaper :)
  16. ^I think i am going to order those wire saddles, look extremely convienient.
  17. Yeah, I agree full modular is pointless. A lot of the recent modular supplies I have bought have at least the Mobo connectors permanent.

It takes a bit of effort and a nice case to get it looking as good as 4ryan6's, but with a lot of ties and some patience you should be able to clean it up a bit (at least for airflow, maybe still not pretty though).
  18. 4ryan6's case is crazy...i wish i was able to organize the wires that well. I just have this habit of making sure everything is loose so the wires won't put pressure on any connectors or on the PSU so i try to bend them as least as possible. But still that case looks great.
  19. Yeah, bending the wires makes me nervous, especially that big 24 pin Motherboard one.
  20. Once you see the direction you need to bend the wires, do your bending before you actually plug in to the M/Bs conection header, do not bend after its plugged in, it will not hurt at all to bend the wires, just make sure the wires is all thats bending.
  21. Yeah, i did it once for a PCI-E connector and it worked fine. I think I'll try a little harder on my wire routing this time around.
  22. blackhawk1928 said:
    ^I think i am going to order those wire saddles, look extremely convienient.

Go to any hardware store or Radio Shack ....and some flourescent spray paint....they come in packages of 20 for about $5
  23. ^Thanks
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components