Who to buy psu from?

pdiffley

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
It seems as though just about every single company that makes any kind of computer component sells psu's as well. Are there several companies that make ones that are more reliable or better made or are they all pretty much the same?

Solution
D
I am sure there is a more updated list somewhere but in general this still applys:

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

Stay with tier 3 and up and you will be fine for general computing. If you are building a gaming system that you will overclock I would stay with tier 2 and up.
Corsair PSUs are my favorite.

Antec is my number 1 choice.

As you can see from the list not all Antecs or Thermaltakes are created equal.
D

Deleted member 217926

I am sure there is a more updated list somewhere but in general this still applys:

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

Stay with tier 3 and up and you will be fine for general computing. If you are building a gaming system that you will overclock I would stay with tier 2 and up.
Corsair PSUs are my favorite.

Antec is my number 1 choice.

As you can see from the list not all Antecs or Thermaltakes are created equal.

Solution
Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. An example would be the Antec Earthwatts series which is an improvement over Antec’s older series psu’s.

anort3 - Glad to see the old list has been updated to include some of the newer power supplies. Some of the veterans here at Tom's Hardware are working on a new database for power supplies. I think there are going to be some surprises. The Zippy and Emac power supplies listed in Tier 1 are probably the very best server psu's available. The server psu's are different from the standard atx we normally discuss here.

shubham1401 - Corsair does not make power supplies. Other manufacturers make psu's for Corsair according to Corsair's high quality specifications. For a long time Seasonic made the Corsair power supplies. Then there were some changes. There have been three different manufacturers producing Corsair units. They all managed to make excellent power supplies for Corsair.

Right now it looks like Seasonic is getting a lot of attention with their brand new top of the line X650 Gold and X750 Gold power supplies. They earned a Gold certification for energy effciency from 80plus.org. The components and configuration are different from the typical psu. Here's a link to a technical review of the Seasonic X650 Gold over at jonnyguru.com:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=169

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

My top choices are Coolermaster, corsair, seasonic PC power and Cooling and OCZ. I have always used coolermaster before now and never had a single problem with it aswell as some OCZ PSU's. In my new build a tried the corsair because it gets the best reviews and its "Corsair". A PSU is the last part i would pinch pennies on if I were you.