two laptops - can I connect them?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2004 3:42:39 PM

I have two laptops - one is completely functional and the other had a
dead screen. Can I connect the two so as to use the one with the dead
screen but have it display on the functional one? How would I do that?

More about : laptops connect

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 23, 2004 12:52:15 AM

Am Samstag, 22. Mai 2004 20:42 schrieb sameer v.:

> I have two laptops - one is completely functional and the other had a
> dead screen. Can I connect the two so as to use the one with the dead
> screen but have it display on the functional one? How would I do that?

Before trying to connect them you should test if the one with the dead
screen is fully operational: find out how to switch from build-in
LDC screen to external monitor and plug a simple VGA screen to it
(an old CRT would do) so you can see it the OS is booting propperly.

If that works, just ask your "how to connect" question again: best
in a newsgroup covering networking issues, depending on whether
your Laptops have working ethener ports or serial ports or how ever,
perhaps news:comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc would be the right
group - don't know, never had to fiddle around with networking issues
on windows PCs. :-))

Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz <mailto:khz@indeview.org> <mailto:khz@kde.org>
Zimmer I n d e V i e w K D E

If both are working:
- It is probable that both have IR ports. use it ti retreive files from the
one with the dead screen.
- To gain full control, use VNC. You need TCP/IP for it to work. If both
have ethernet you can
use a cross-wired cable to connect both directly (No hub needed).

"sameer v." <sameer@convio.com> wrote in message
> I have two laptops - one is completely functional and the other had a
> dead screen. Can I connect the two so as to use the one with the dead
> screen but have it display on the functional one? How would I do that?
a b D Laptop
May 23, 2004 10:18:09 PM

sameer@convio.com (sameer v.) wrote in message news:<53cd67ba.0405221042.ca4e535@posting.google.com>...
> I have two laptops - one is completely functional and the other had a
> dead screen. Can I connect the two so as to use the one with the dead
> screen but have it display on the functional one? How would I do that?

Hey thanks for the replies guys. I know the dead-screen laptop is
booting up fine. The screen is barely...barely...lit; and I can tell
it's booting up. I think I'm going to have to get a montior and figure
out how to hook it up. Or else I'm just going to have to buy a
replacement LCD on ebay.

I'll check with the networking groups and see if I can connect the two
computers - good suggestion.

Sameer
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 24, 2004 3:01:55 AM

Well, in part it depends on how "dead" the dead one is. If only the
screen is bad, it would be simpler to just connect a CRT (or desktop LCD).

It can be done, but what's involved depends on the operating system
installed. With any pre-XP OS, you will need some type of remote
contro. Windows XP Pro has built-in "remote desktop", and XP Home has
remote assistance, which can be used to do the same thing. However, it
will be difficult to initiate this (especially remote assistance)
without first having a screen on the "dead" computer. And if more than
the screen is dead, you will be completely out of luck.

sameer v. wrote:
> I have two laptops - one is completely functional and the other had a
> dead screen. Can I connect the two so as to use the one with the dead
> screen but have it display on the functional one? How would I do that?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 24, 2004 5:25:47 AM

sameer v. wrote:

> sameer@convio.com (sameer v.) wrote in message news:<53cd67ba.0405221042.ca4e535@posting.google.com>...
>
>>I have two laptops - one is completely functional and the other had a
>>dead screen. Can I connect the two so as to use the one with the dead
>>screen but have it display on the functional one? How would I do that?
>

> Hey thanks for the replies guys. I know the dead-screen laptop is
> booting up fine. The screen is barely...barely...lit; and I can tell
> it's booting up. I think I'm going to have to get a montior and figure
> out how to hook it up. Or else I'm just going to have to buy a
> replacement LCD on ebay.
>
> I'll check with the networking groups and see if I can connect the two
> computers - good suggestion.
>
> Sameer
Hi,
If you have Ethernet cards on both, cross over CAT 5 cable will do it.
Tony
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 24, 2004 7:21:32 AM

From your description, the backlight may be out. The most likely cause
of this is the backlight inverter (power supply), NOT the LCD panel
itself. Inverters are relatively inexpensive compared to LCD panels
($30 to $120 instead of $300 to $1,000).

USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN WORKING WITH THE INVERTER, THEY PRODUCE VERY
HIGH VOLTAGES (SOMETIMES OVER 1,000 VOLTS) AT CURRENT LEVELS THAT, WHILE
LOW, CAN BE HIGH ENOUGH TO CAUSE DEATH. REPEAT ***DEATH***

!