ray malinao

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Cannot boot on cd after formatting my hardisk to install windows xp. I set up everything from my bios to boot from cd but to no avail. my cd is recognised during post. any advise?

What is the error you receive - and you verified bios settings took ?
Sometimes faulty memory causes bad things to heppen.
Try booting with one stick of RAM.

On a working computer, download a bootable CD, like Kapersky Rescue disk and see if you can boot from that.

G

Hi I also have a WinXp that got a virus - XXXXXX - in everything - I managed to delete the x's in internet options to get onto google site but by sheer luck google reset the last X for me - anyhow Winxp will not read my CD's for kapersky or usb's so I CAN'T put antivirus on it - I do not have a reinstallation disc - it didn't come with my computer - so is it poss that you can explain how I clear my computer down althogether and where would I be able to down load onto my WIN7 computer a re-installation disc for WINXP please. In laymans terms so that I don';t miss anything.

thank you Bianka

Changing the Transfer mode for the device may solve the issue.
To enable DMA mode using the Device Manager

Open Device Manager.

Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.

Right-click the icon for the channel to which the device is connected, select Properties, and then click the Advanced Settings tab.

In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select DMA if Available if the current setting is "PIO Only."
If the drop-down box already shows "DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then the user must toggle the settings. That is:

Change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click OK.

Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to DMA if Available.

Hi I also have a WinXp that got a virus - XXXXXX - in everything - I managed to delete the x's in internet options to get onto google site but by sheer luck google reset the last X for me - anyhow Winxp will not read my CD's for kapersky or usb's so I CAN'T put antivirus on it - I do not have a reinstallation disc - it didn't come with my computer - so is it poss that you can explain how I clear my computer down althogether and where would I be able to down load onto my WIN7 computer a re-installation disc for WINXP please. In laymans terms so that I don';t miss anything.

thank you Bianka
The Kapersky CD is an ISO file, and does not require the OS to boot. Did you make the CD as 1st boot device in setup ?