Sign in with
Your question

Current Best SSD For Price

Last response: in Storage
July 14, 2011 1:49:14 AM

Hello, all :) 

Ok, I would like to increase my bootup time/game loading time, so I am looking into the idea of possibly getting an SSD... not entirely sure, though.

Anyway, if I did buy one, I would like one that had read/write speeds of 400-500MB/s+, would like the size to be 64gb+ (MUCH preferably 100+... this is almost a requirement, but if I can't find it for a reasonable price...), and the price to be no more than $150...

In my searching, I ran across this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227728 It looks pretty sweet... 500MB read, 450MB write...

Anyway, are there any issues with this drive? Are there any better than that?

Random question related to SSDs: I have seen several reviews where drives were either DOA or died within a month of running... how often does this happen?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. My mobo doesn't support 6gb/s, so a SSD that fast would have a bandwidth bottleneck... I could get a 6gb/s PCI card to allow that. Is there any sort of speed reduction by using one of those vs. a mobo with 6gb/s sata?

More about : current ssd price

July 14, 2011 3:26:18 AM

Quote:
Yeah there are issues with that drive. Visit the OCZ forums. Also, those speeds you quote are for completely compressible data, which you will not see in the real world. In particular, game levels are not compressible.
I would go with a crucial m4 or C300, or an Intel SSD.

Alright, thanks for the response.

For the M4, the write speed seems low... I know it isn't important in respect to loading times, but it would still be nice. Do they use the same benchmarks as OCZ does?
a c 311 G Storage
July 14, 2011 6:30:10 AM

I just checked and verified that with a limit of $150.00 you will have to settle for a 64GB SATA III 6Gb/s ssd.

You mentioned that your motherboard does not have SATA III 6Gb/s capabilities so you know you that with SATA II 3Gb/s you are limited to a maximum read and write speed somewhere around 250 to 280 MB/s.

The PCI-e SATA add-in cards come with their own problems - mostly compatabiltiy and configuration issues. They typically use a Marvell or ASMedia controller and their performance is impaired, expecially if they are PCI-e x1 cards instead of PCI-e x4 cards.
Related resources
July 14, 2011 11:38:51 PM

Alright, tyvm for the responses :) 

@Gene: Ok, that makes sense... I'll check out the AS-SSD benchmarks before I make a final decision on a SSD (if I do get a SSD).

@Johnny: Hmm... what about with a PCI-e x4? How much of a reduction in performance would that be? Also, why would I be limited to a max of 280 MB/s? Is it because of the extra checkbits (or whatever) thrown in on top of the 8 bits per byte, or is there something else going on there?
a c 311 G Storage
July 15, 2011 5:17:07 PM

Yes the extra bits account for most of the reduction. In addition, not all motherboards have identical SATA controllers on board. Performance can just plain vary. There are minor differences. There were several reviews that compared the SATA capabilities of motherboards. Overall the motherboard SATA capabilities are pretty good but every once in a while there's a board with lower performance. One board actually capped SATA 6Gb/s data transmission rates so results were more like SATA 3 Gb/s performance. The manufacturer eventually removed the cap.

The entry level PCI-e x4 SATA add-in cards typically result in a 3% to 4% reduction in performance providing there are no compatability issues.
!