Sign in with
Your question

1gig 9800gt or 512 meg hd4850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 1, 2009 7:12:35 PM

i have only enough room for a single slot card and have only one 6pin connector, of these two cards which is the best? I will be playing games on a 24" monitor at 1920x1080 and want everything maxed out, i am doing fine with a 7800gt now..lol
but it tends to be a bit choppy at times. So is it the 1gig 9800gt or the 512meg HD4850?
October 1, 2009 8:16:50 PM

Hey, yes i am playing older games like Counter strike mainly i am playing Bf2 and Bf2142 and COD4, i have only one slot and i cant use anything larger then a single slot card because the cpu fan is in the way of anything to wide is thee reason i am looking at these two cards , also i have only one 6pin connector
cpu 3.2g
3.g ram ddr2
7800gt
24" monitor
is what u=i can say
i will upgrade my comp in another year or so, so what is the better card for me?
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2009 8:20:19 PM

Quote:
Neither of those cards will run newer games at 1680x1050 with everything maxed out and surely not at 1920x1080. Of course if your playing Counterstrike, well then yeah. But you failed to mention what games your talking about, what power supply you have, what your budget is, or what your processor speed is so we cant recommend ANYTHING without that information.

You need to be looking at something much more powerful.

^ +1 What he said. Also, I think most 4850 single slot cards ran very hot. So that probably wouldn't be a good idea.
Related resources
October 1, 2009 8:22:18 PM

Well actually .. just to give these cards a fair shake .. I just want to say my 4850 (about to be replaced by a 5870) is able to run most current games at 1680x1050 with max settings. To be fair though I have a fairly stout system so not all 4850's will handle these games like mine. Plus I'm running the HIS TurboX 4850 which has very high clock speeds and such so you're average 4850 won't put out the juice that this one will either. Anywho though .. games like COD WaW and Modern Warfare for example are able to me maxed at 16xAA, 16xAF, AI, and all the other settings in CCC maxed out with ease. Very playable framerates as well. Heck Crysis runs okay at 8xAA with everything at enthusiast as well but I prefer to drop the res down a tad bit to get better FPS. Can't wait for the 5870 so I can truly max it out!

With all that said though .. I would not reccomend going with either of those cards with all these great new .. almost revolutionary .. cards hitting the market currently. You should be able to say get a 4750 for near the price point of the 4850 and easily beat it in performance .. while having DX11 capability to boot. So yeah if I were in your shoes and was on a budget I'd hold out to see what new cards come out in my price range in the coming weeks and months.
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2009 8:23:51 PM

The 4850 is a better card, but it also uses more power I believe, so if your case is so cramped you can't fit a dual slot card, you probably don't have great airflow either. If that is the case, a 4850 single slot will run hot. Not to mention the reference single slot coolers are pretty poor on them.
October 1, 2009 8:32:35 PM

ok well then..thanx for the reply's, don't realy know what to do yet, i see a HIS HD4850 for like 140 but the reviews peeps say it runs very hot..ugh anyway thanx for replys and cute Pug, i have a Pug also. He's two years old :) 
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2009 8:48:45 PM

4850 is equal to a 9800GTX, so it's better than a 9800GT.

The 9800GT is too weak to use 1GB of RAM, so it's a waste of money.

A 4850 can play most newer games such as COD4, COD5, Far Cry2, Fallout 3, etc maxed out at 1680x1050 (except very GPU intensive games such as Crysis or Stalker)
October 1, 2009 9:43:10 PM

4850 is the correct choice.

And to all the reviews and folks who have these cards running too hot, its called turning up the FAN. You have to set it to over 60% and it will keep the card cool just fine. The only time reviewers mess with the fan is if they overclock the card, otherwise it stays at stock speed which I believe is no more than 25-30%.

FYI, if this card can play CoD4 @ 1650x1080 with 16xAA, then there should be zero question who is the winner here.

HIS is a decent brand. Looks thats the only single slotted card they carry. Not too bad after the MIR @ $119. Although if you could use a dual slot then you could get one of the IceQ Turbo cards for the same price which would give you a better cooler and higher clocks (but thats all relatively marginal).

Your performance increase from a 7800 will be phenomenal.
October 1, 2009 9:49:26 PM

Awesome!! :)  thanks much
October 1, 2009 9:58:01 PM

OverdoseATL .. I currently use an HIS 4850 and I really got a lot out of this card. It's a good brand .. at least going my own personal experience with the brand.
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2009 10:53:52 PM

Just be sure to get good airflow to the card. The single slot can cool the card acceptably but only under optimum conditions (otherwise you'll have to crank the fan way up, and even then it will get warm/hot.
October 1, 2009 11:01:56 PM

I have the 9800gt and it runs Crysis: Warhead on max without AA on a 1680 by 1080 res screen. If i change the setting to allow the use of 1gb of RAM(which is set to default 256mb until you create a file to tell it otherwise) it will run at least 8AA. So is it really not the card i thought it was? I'm not going for a top of the line gaming computer. Im also considering upgrading motherboard to support 8gb of 1200-1066mhz im considering the Maximus II Formula. The reason is i currently have 4gb of 800mhz and at times with vista it seems not enough nor will it be within the next year. Also i have a core 2 quad @ 2.67ghz(its like 5.62ghz all 4 cores together) and this motherboard is the best I've found for around 200. Overall im looking for a great pc that can do rendering in Revit 2010 with ease, play games on high with ease, overall browsing without lag, and great audio quality. I am looking at doing this off a $600 ZT pc with a 9800gt card and a 650watt power supply. Other than re upgrading the video card(unless i can get better for cheap) does anyone have any suggestions that could help me achieve this for under $400? As for video card i am definitely considering overclocking. I mean its got overclocking truly written all over the box.
October 2, 2009 1:02:02 AM

don't listen to them, evryone always says to buy a new video card, but not everyone wants or needs to max out there games, the 4850 is jsut fine you won't be able to max evey games but you won't have probs playing them and the 9800gt is ok as well, i can't believe how many people spends so much money on video cards and cpu's just to max out a game, people would always say the 4850 was great and now that the 5870 are out people are treaking the 4850 like crap some one like me i can go buy a 10,000 computer if i want but won't there are better things to do with money and also some of you people need to look into getting a girlfriend or a life i am talking to all you in you late 20's and 30's
October 2, 2009 1:04:42 AM

peter2004 said:
don't listen to them, evryone always says to buy a new video card, but not everyone wants or needs to max out there games, the 4850 is jsut fine you won't be able to max evey games but you won't have probs playing them and the 9800gt is ok as well, i can't believe how many people spends so much money on video cards and cpu's just to max out a game, people would always say the 4850 was great and now that the 5870 are out people are treaking the 4850 like crap some one like me i can go buy a 10,000 computer if i want but won't there are better things to do with money and also some of you people need to look into getting a girlfriend or a life i am talking to all you in you late 20's and 30's

well than that does not apply to me.
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2009 1:49:18 AM

bammaster said:
I have the 9800gt and it runs Crysis: Warhead on max without AA on a 1680 by 1080 res screen. If i change the setting to allow the use of 1gb of RAM(which is set to default 256mb until you create a file to tell it otherwise) it will run at least 8AA. .

Naw man, nawwwwww...
October 2, 2009 2:40:08 AM

yeah it will its not the speed that's the problem for me its the ram. And if it is the speed in the end ill overclock it or get two of them on a dual crossfire or sli motherboard since they are very cheap.
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2009 1:30:10 PM

^ Perfect. Good price, good performance, good cooling.
Is it fast of the fastest? No, but it is a LOT of card for a hundred bucks.
Will it be a big, big jump in performance for you? YES!
Is it better than a 9800GT? Yes, yes it is.
After running the card you have for so long, this is going to be blast in the face improvement for you.
a c 91 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 2, 2009 1:30:48 PM

Even though some of you posters didn't say if you were running in DX9 or DX10 I have to say some of you are totally full of crap about how good your cards are inre to certain games. Having said that, you should get the card with the most video memory on it you can get in your machine especially at that high a resolution. That's my opinion.

Here's a shortie from THIS site, and although I don't agree with some of "Toms" numbers read the last couple of lines.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-ram-4870,2...

"In the final analysis, even 512MB of graphics RAM can provide excellent high-resolution service as long as the user is aware that lowering quality settings and AA will allow the card to perform at its peak potential. However, if you plan to use the highest visual quality settings in addition to AA, it's likely worth the extra money for a 1GB or even 2GB card."

Something I have been saying for a long time.
!