Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What about Phenom II x4 965 and 790FX?

Last response: in Memory
March 4, 2010 6:46:48 PM

I am new to the whole building of pc rigs. This is going to be my first build and I am double, triple, and sometimes quadruple checking myself on everything. I have particularly been going absolutely insane over memory. :cry:  I find some that seem compatible with my mobo (m4a79t deluxe 790fx chipset) and seems to be well recommended only to hear or read that someone who had a AMD anything or a 790FX chipset had major failures. Or I see something like "The ultimate memory for Intel Core i5 & Core i7 CPU" :pfff:  I am at wits end here. Isn't there something reliable for phenom II x4 965 and 790fx?? Aren't I supposed to get the best RAM I can afford?? How can I do that when all the supposedly "good" ram is incompatible? Please help me! I'm on the verge of a break down.

More about : phenom 965 790fx

a c 128 } Memory
March 4, 2010 8:39:58 PM

I would select a different chipset if you're that worried. The 785 is newer and the new 8xx series will be out soon. You can also purchase ram at frys and try it for 15 days with no restocking fee if you have to return it. Newegg may charge you 15%.
a b } Memory
March 4, 2010 9:06:23 PM

The surest way is to go to the motherboard manufacturers website and there will be a list of recommended memory types for that board.
I have built dozens of machines and I have had only one pb with a brand that a mobo didn't like. So I rarely check before ordering ram, but I do read the reviews on Newegg.com to see if there are any issues with the board I've picked.

It looks like you're building a gaming rig, I would get high performance memory. I like OZC, Corsair is a reliable name. For DDR3, I have read quite a few reviews on the Gskill ripjaws and they look fast. Look for cl 7 or 8, unless overclocking the ram/FSB is what your after, then relaxed timings might be a better fit.

Here's a decent looking set.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources

Best solution

a b } Memory
March 4, 2010 9:16:39 PM

Most of the modules that mention "ultimate for i5 i7 " will work fine on an AMD system also - It is just the Voltage requirement for the i5 - i7 requires under 1.65Volts (some MOBO's for Intel had problems with the Dimm sockets if anything higher was used !! - while AMD MOBO's are fine up to around 2.0 Volts (many of the originally released Modules were designed for 1.8 and 1.9 Volts and could not be used in Intel boards but AMD boards are fine with them or the lower voltage modules (but manufacturers wanted to let people know their modules would work for the i5 i7 lines since many were having problems finding high speed modules for the Intel chips that supported low voltage (since then most companies have gotten better modules that run at the higher speeds with the lower voltages and they work fine for both Intel and AMD chips but still advertise Intel compatibility !)
March 4, 2010 9:27:30 PM

I've probably built a hundred PCs in the past few years and I have yet to EVER look at a manufacturer's website to look for compatible ram and I've never had a single issue other than the occasional faulty memory chip (maybe three total). Maybe I'm just lucky, but I wouldn't fret to much about memory OTHER THAN what JDFan said - make sure if you're going to build an i5/i7 machine that you get voltage that requires 1.65v or under. That's the only thing you need to worry about. The 790FX is a great chipset for AMD given its full 16x PCIe lanes. A 785G, if it's crossfire compatible, will only run 8x/8x. Truthfully, that's not that big of a deal, but if you want to run crossfire (and I assume you do given that you're even looking at a 790FX), then stay with the 790FX as it's not that much more than a good 785G. The 890G boards coming out any day will also only have 8x/8x - you'll have to wait until they release the 890FX for ful 16x/16x.
March 4, 2010 10:45:55 PM

Thanks for all your replies! I'm going to breathe easier now... I think I was mostly just worried that I would screw myself over with my tiny amount of experience. Thanks for explaining this to me. Of course I feel pretty silly now but at least I know, right?
March 5, 2010 8:33:26 PM

Best answer selected by icaruspunk.
March 9, 2010 7:44:31 AM

o1die said:
I would select a different chipset if you're that worried. The 785 is newer and the new 8xx series will be out soon. You can also purchase ram at frys and try it for 15 days with no restocking fee if you have to return it. Newegg may charge you 15%.

There is a new set of mother boards coming out for AMD 3 Mother Boards with new 8XX series chipset???
!