Knoppix on ancient IBM 600E

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2004 3:45:36 PM

I needed a laptop to travel to a convention next week. I need to run Apahce,
MySQL, PHP, etc. in order to show off our web service.... and don't want to
pay the convention hall for a net hookup... which is expensive.

I did not want to spend much money on the laptop as most of the time this box
will sit on a shelf collecting dust.

I bought a refub IBM 600E for a few hundred bucks. 400mhz, 128mb RAM, 6 GB HD.
Pretty old stuff (1999 vintage).

I installed Knoppix on it (wiping out Windows). Knoppix becomes Debian when
installed.

Install was almost flawless. All the hardware was found and everything worked
"out of the box" except the modem.... which I don't need right now as I have
DSL.

The box runs well. KDE is a bit slow but Apache, PHP, MySQL run fine... and
even faster if using ICEwm as a window manager.

If anyone is looking for a good use for old hardware, you might want to look
at Linux on a laptop. Linux tends to run well with limited resources... and
with only ONE exception, everything I ever need to do in Windows I can do in
Linux with an open source software clone. The exception? Doing my taxes...
there is not a good tax program for Linux.

You can get a free Knoppix CD almost anywhere and you can test it on the CD
without any install. It's way cool. If you like it, you can install it... or
not. I know a lot of people who use the Knoppix CD to connect to the net read
email as Linux is immune to the worms and virus stuff that cripples Windows.

Linux can really extend the life of old hardware.... and is a good choice if
your business is on a budget like ours is.

Al C.
Adams-Blake Company, Inc.
***
JAYA123 - the new web-based total-office system for the
small biz. Order entry, billing, bookkeeping, etc. for $14.95
a month. Everyone says "It's cool as a moose!!"
See why at:http://www.jaya123.com ('ja-eye-ah' means
'victory' in Sanskrit.)
***
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 23, 2004 12:39:54 AM

"A-B C." <atakeoutcanton@adams-blaketakeout.com> writes:
> I bought a refub IBM 600E for a few hundred bucks. 400mhz, 128mb RAM, 6 GB
> HD. Pretty old stuff (1999 vintage).
>
> I installed Knoppix on it (wiping out Windows). Knoppix becomes Debian when
> installed.

Knoppix really needs that 128MiB, and at least 2GB of disk to install
onto. If you're stuck on a machine with less, you can start with one of
the lightweight Knoppix variants and apt-get up from there. Or try the
new Sarge installer[1], which went in smooth as glass when I tried it on
a problem system (brand-new Dell with SATA) two weeks ago.

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

> If anyone is looking for a good use for old hardware, you might want to look
> at Linux on a laptop. Linux tends to run well with limited resources... and
> with only ONE exception, everything I ever need to do in Windows I can do in
> Linux with an open source software clone. The exception? Doing my taxes...
> there is not a good tax program for Linux.

I'll second that. I go over to one of our dual-boot game machines once
a year for the taxes.

> Linux can really extend the life of old hardware.... and is a good choice if
> your business is on a budget like ours is.

I might also point out that an old laptop, even a _really_ old laptop,
would make a pretty good router or X terminal. Quiet, low power, the
only problem is the occasional clunker that's too stupid to boot if the
batteries are dead.

--
/ Steve Savitzky \ rw-rw-rw- : the file permissions of the beast \
/ <steve@theStarport.org> http://theStarport.com/people/steve/ \

"Stephen R. Savitzky" <steve@theStarport.org> wrote in message
> "A-B C." <atakeoutcanton@adams-blaketakeout.com> writes:
> > I bought a refub IBM 600E for a few hundred bucks. 400mhz, 128mb RAM, 6
GB
> > HD. Pretty old stuff (1999 vintage).
> >
> > I installed Knoppix on it (wiping out Windows). Knoppix becomes Debian
when
> > installed.
>
> Knoppix really needs that 128MiB, and at least 2GB of disk to install
> onto. If you're stuck on a machine with less, you can start with one of
> the lightweight Knoppix variants and apt-get up from there. Or try the
> new Sarge installer[1], which went in smooth as glass when I tried it on
> a problem system (brand-new Dell with SATA) two weeks ago.
>
> [1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
>
> > If anyone is looking for a good use for old hardware, you might want to
look
> > at Linux on a laptop. Linux tends to run well with limited resources...
and
> > with only ONE exception, everything I ever need to do in Windows I can
do in
> > Linux with an open source software clone. The exception? Doing my
taxes...
> > there is not a good tax program for Linux.
>
> I'll second that. I go over to one of our dual-boot game machines once
> a year for the taxes.
>
> > Linux can really extend the life of old hardware.... and is a good
choice if
> > your business is on a budget like ours is.
>
> I might also point out that an old laptop, even a _really_ old laptop,
> would make a pretty good router or X terminal. Quiet, low power, the
> only problem is the occasional clunker that's too stupid to boot if the
> batteries are dead.
>
> --
> / Steve Savitzky \ rw-rw-rw- : the file permissions of the beast \
> / <steve@theStarport.org> http://theStarport.com/people/steve/
\
> \ hacker/songwriter:
http://theStarport.com/people/steve/Doc/Songs/
> \_ Kids' page: http://Interesting.Places.to/Browse/forKids/ _/

Same here, installed perfect. Knoppix will not see that built in Winmodem
but will detect almost any card modem you plug in. Thats what I'm using
right now.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 29, 2004 6:25:53 AM