Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What is difference between raid and home computer

Last response: in Motherboards
March 4, 2010 9:26:52 PM

Hello,
I recently lost my audio so I went to the mfg site to download the audio driver (ac97). I also downloaded the realtec hd audio driver. I have a regular desk top with one hard drive.
When I rebooted it now says its a raid unit, instead of the regular hard drive.
Any idea how to get it back to the original config. I tried booting with the xp home cd and it would not work becase it says its a raid unit
Thanks
a c 108 V Motherboard
March 4, 2010 9:42:41 PM

Hmmm...

RAID is a series of hard drives. The basic concept behind RAID is to connect multiple hard drives to replicate data. This is done primarily to eliminate servers crashing due to hard drive failure. When servers have multiple hard drives connected in RAID, the hard drives will all have the same data. Should the first hard drive fail to boot or get corrupted, the next hard drive in the RAID will take the place of the first.

Now that isn't the greatest explanation, but it hardly represents your problem either. So let's address your concern.

Have you tried doing a System Restore? Restoring Windows to an earlier date (save point) may eliminate both of your concerns (no audio and RAID).

m
l
March 4, 2010 9:51:46 PM

T_T said:
Hmmm...

RAID is a series of hard drives. The basic concept behind RAID is to connect multiple hard drives to replicate data. This is done primarily to eliminate servers crashing due to hard drive failure. When servers have multiple hard drives connected in RAID, the hard drives will all have the same data. Should the first hard drive fail to boot or get corrupted, the next hard drive in the RAID will take the place of the first.

Now that isn't the greatest explanation, but it hardly represents your problem either. So let's address your concern.

Have you tried doing a System Restore? Restoring Windows to an earlier date (save point) may eliminate both of your concerns (no audio and RAID).

Yes that is one of the first things I did, it did not work
m
l
Related resources
March 4, 2010 9:52:26 PM

Yes, that is one of the first things I did. It did not work
m
l

Best solution

a c 108 V Motherboard
March 4, 2010 10:47:04 PM

Try clearing CMOS. Maybe the RAID controller thinks there is a second hard drive. The theory is way out there, but I don't see why you would even have this problem with just one hard drive.
March 4, 2010 10:59:06 PM

Best answer selected by cableguru_1.
m
l
March 4, 2010 11:00:02 PM

T_T said:
Try clearing CMOS. Maybe the RAID controller thinks there is a second hard drive. The theory is way out there, but I don't see why you would even have this problem with just one hard drive.

Thank you for your help, that did the trick!
m
l
!