• Heatsinks
  • Water Cooling
  • Cooling
  • Swiftech
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
December 6, 2011 2:16:36 AM

hey guys, i heard water cooling is over rated...but i found allthis for $100 and i think its a bargain:

-Swiftech MCR 320 Radiator
-Swiftech MCP 355 Pump With Aftermarket High Flow XPSC Top
-EK Supreme LT CPU waterblock
-Swiftech MCW-60R

I heard that water cooling can be noisier than air cooling and also that air can be just as effective with less noise than water can. I just find that hard to believe and what to know you guys' opinion if this is worth it and i should go for water cooling. Thanks!

More about : water cooling air cooling

a c 198 K Overclocking
December 6, 2011 3:00:53 AM

:hello:  Welcome to the forums.

I am a proponent of air.

Noise, whether air or water, will depend on how air you need flowing through the heatsink or radiator. So that's a wash.

Air is safer and more convenient. Water is better at removing heat from a case.

If you are going to use water, I recommend that you install a GFCI wall socket for computer power. If it detects a leak, it will trip very fast.

Components - I cannot judge.
m
l
December 6, 2011 3:05:31 AM

The noise of each is based mainly on the fans you choose, a huge heatsink with low rpm fans will prob keep you cool n quit but the same can be said for a decent rad and low rpm fans, if you want extreme cooling then either way you'll want high cfm/static presure fans which are usually noisy.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Best solution

a c 483 K Overclocking
December 6, 2011 7:40:14 PM

The components you have found are excellent for the price listed...they are easily around $250-$300 if purchased new.

Watercooling is as loud as you make it...it depends on radiator fin density, fans used and the delta-T you wish to achieve. If you want this move to the watercooling forum let me know, or post up over there.

Remember with watercooling, you still need your current case fans, as you always need airflow over components that still produce heat (which is pretty much everything not covered with a water block).

Also, Tom's HW watercooling sticky is linked in my sig...give it a read through.

Thanks.
December 17, 2011 5:15:35 AM

Best answer selected by plattman02.
m
l