I7 920 and the V8 coolermaster.

I'm deciding to move into overclocking. I'm still kinda new at Overclocking but i would like to dabble in it more. My current build is

Case: NZXT Guardian 921
Motherboard: Asus P6T SE
CPU: i7 920 (stock)
VGA: HD Radeon 6950 2gb
Cooling: V8 Coolermaster (fan rpm 1800)
RAM: 4gb x2 G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600

my current idling temps are

Core 1: 41c
Core 2: 38c
Core 3: 40c
Core 4: 39c

Ive Overclocked before and it ran about 80-75c

Trying to figure out what i could do to help out with this cooling so any opinions or advice would be great
6 answers Last reply
More about coolermaster
  1. Take voltage off auto if it isn't already. Learn to optimize for the lowest stable voltage for qpi, and the cpu. At a moderate frequency increase to around 3.5-3.6, you should be able to keep your core temperature below or around 70c in a 70 degree fahrenheit room with that cooler.
  2. I am currently running my i7 920's at 3.8G with 1.2 volts on the CPU without hyper threading on. This keeps my CPU temps under 70C with a room temp of 70F under full load in prime 95. If I turn on hyper threading I will see a max of 74C under prime 95. YMMV.
  3. I guess my main question for the overclockers here is what is a safe temp for my i7 when I decide to overclock?
  4. Keep it under 70C and you'll be fine.
    Your Prime numbers look ok to me,since you'll never see them in daily use.
    If you didn't already know the V8 is a mediocre cooler = the 212+ is better!
    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/19383-cooler-master-hyper-212-plus-cpu-cooler-review-10.html
  5. I have the almost the same build, I7-920 and V8

I was able to reach 4.01 on air but temps were around 77 so settled for 3.61Ghz with temps around 46.

After 1 year, I underclocked to 3.33Ghz with temps around 43 and I'm happy with it.

The V8 Fan speed went down since last week, I just changed it (took me a lot of time to figure out how to remove it from the cooler) and replaced it with a new one.
    However, the V8 now has no plastic cover and no red lights, it still looks... um... ok :p
  6. I know that the -V8 is now a mediocre cooler. This build (other the the vga and a 2gig ram difference) this build is also about 2 and a half years old now so yea. I also don't know what kinda cooler I should upgrade too
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Core Cooler Master