Sims 2 neighbourhood maps

I've seen some for download at MTS2, and one for download at
sims2.com... but they are few and far between. If anyone has any
special requests for neighbourhoods, I will try my hand at it. I've
made one map I call "Simtropolis" which is basically designed to
utilize ALL the space on the map, giving the potential for hundreds of
lots. I also plan to make a genuine "suburban" map when Nightlife
comes out, so that I can stuff as many tiny lots into the map as
possible.

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 00:55:45 +0200, Guardian Pegasus
<nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote:

>I've seen some for download at MTS2, and one for download at
>sims2.com... but they are few and far between. If anyone has any
>special requests for neighbourhoods, I will try my hand at it. I've
>made one map I call "Simtropolis" which is basically designed to
>utilize ALL the space on the map, giving the potential for hundreds of
>lots. I also plan to make a genuine "suburban" map when Nightlife
>comes out, so that I can stuff as many tiny lots into the map as
>possible.

Couple of questions actually... what are the limitations on bridges?
Will they never show up? And why do my palm trees come out as bunches
of other tree types? :-\

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 01:40:59 +0200, Guardian Pegasus
<nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote:

>Couple of questions actually... what are the limitations on bridges?
>Will they never show up? And why do my palm trees come out as bunches
>of other tree types? :-\

I made one of each bridge.. the green undertruss thing seems to be the
only one that works :) Trees appear completely random.. dang :-(

Guardian Pegasus wrote:
> I've seen some for download at MTS2, and one for download at
> sims2.com... but they are few and far between. If anyone has any
> special requests for neighbourhoods, I will try my hand at it. I've
> made one map I call "Simtropolis" which is basically designed to
> utilize ALL the space on the map, giving the potential for hundreds of
> lots.

Will you be uploading that or making it available somehow GP? I would love a
map like that. I tired but failed completely at neighoubrhood design.

Gareeth

I'd love a neighbourhood with the Sims one street layout in it for my
Ancestor Sims.

--
Morituri Nolumus Mori - Rincewind, The Last Hero, Terry Pratchett

MM

> I've seen some for download at MTS2, and one for download at
> sims2.com... but they are few and far between. If anyone has any
> special requests for neighbourhoods, I will try my hand at it. I've
> made one map I call "Simtropolis" which is basically designed to
> utilize ALL the space on the map, giving the potential for hundreds of
> lots. I also plan to make a genuine "suburban" map when Nightlife
> comes out, so that I can stuff as many tiny lots into the map as
> possible.

Out of curiousity, how many of us have recreated Sims1 characters? I even
made the pets as children and gave them the various pet names. Cruel, I
know, but I miss the dogs and cats.

Nan Scott

Nancy Scott wrote:
> Out of curiousity, how many of us have recreated Sims1 characters? I even
> made the pets as children and gave them the various pet names. Cruel, I
> know, but I miss the dogs and cats.
>
> Nan Scott

I put Eldon and Mama Hick into my game, in a trailer across from Brandi
Broke. I also have Bob and Betty Newbie back in the game, but not the
original ones (who are Brandi's parents). I recreated them, though, and
call them Rob and Babs Newby.

Jeanie

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 08:30:34 GMT, "Gareeth" <Gareethnews@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Will you be uploading that or making it available somehow GP? I would love a
>map like that. I tired but failed completely at neighoubrhood design.

I certainly can if you want me to. Be aware however that the lot I'm
talking about is UTTERLY uncomplicated :) It's just a maze of
streets. And along with the camera hack, it allows you to utilize the
entire map space. Even without camera hack, it gives you probably a
zillion lot possibilities. Also beware that it looks very naked
without lots on it. I chose to sacrifice looks for efficiency and a
big city feel. Still interested? If it's not to your liking I making
something less big-city like :)

Guardian Pegasus wrote:
>. I chose to sacrifice looks for efficiency and a
> big city feel. Still interested? If it's not to your liking I making
> something less big-city like :)

Yes I am still interested. I am not very visual. More interested in a place
where I can pack in the Sims. Plus I suppose we could always gussy it up
later.

Gareeth

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 14:11:06 GMT, "Madame Mim"
<mad.mim@S.P.A.M.bigpond.net.au> wrote:

>I'd love a neighbourhood with the Sims one street layout in it for my
>Ancestor Sims.

That sounds interesting :)

http://www.smokeypoint.com/houses/neighbourhood.jpg

Like this, ey? I believe I can do it, but of course, it won't look
anything the same graphically... only comparatively :)

> On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 14:11:06 GMT, "Madame Mim"
> <mad.mim@S.P.A.M.bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
>>I'd love a neighbourhood with the Sims one street layout in it for my
>>Ancestor Sims.
>
> That sounds interesting :)
>
> http://www.smokeypoint.com/houses/neighbourhood.jpg
>
> Like this, ey? I believe I can do it, but of course, it won't look
> anything the same graphically... only comparatively :)

I'm wondering if in Nightlife I might be able to create landscapes using
the "ctrl/prt scre" keys.

If you can see other houses in the neighbourhood what are Maxis doing about
unequal edges to plots. are they going to "reconcile" them like in SimCity4?

Skeats

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 20:56:12 GMT, "Fizziwig2"
<atthebackofthenorthwind@kingdomcom.co.uk> wrote:

>I'm wondering if in Nightlife I might be able to create landscapes using
>the "ctrl/prt scre" keys.
>
>If you can see other houses in the neighbourhood what are Maxis doing about
>unequal edges to plots. are they going to "reconcile" them like in SimCity4?

I'm not sure what you mean... reconcile what edges? They will be
seperate maps, won't they?

wrote:

>Will you be uploading that or making it available somehow GP? I would love a
>map like that. I tired but failed completely at neighoubrhood design.

Turns out this is a lot more difficult than I thought... primarily
because of the Sim City 4k terrain tools... they're too "big", and
it's difficult to keep the relation between things because it's a
totally different scale... I need to think about it a bit. I'll have
another try tomorrow :)

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 22:45:55 GMT, "Gareeth" <Gareethnews@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Yes I am still interested. I am not very visual. More interested in a place
>where I can pack in the Sims. Plus I suppose we could always gussy it up
>later.

http://home.broadpark.no/~rborsjo/Simtropolis.zip

Oki doke. I feel the same way you do. Plop down some trees and rocks
and water towers, and when NL comes out, use some tower buildings, so
it doesnt feel so naked :)

>>If you can see other houses in the neighbourhood what are Maxis doing about
>>unequal edges to plots. are they going to "reconcile" them like in SimCity4?

>I'm not sure what you mean... reconcile what edges? They will be
>seperate maps, won't they?

If you put a hill on the edge of a map SimCity 4 will adjust the maps
next to it to bring the hill back down to ground level. Hope this is
clear! >.<

Anyway the Sims 2 already does it. Put a lot with a hill and the ground
around it gets moved up too. The process isn't fool proof though.

Guardian Pegasus wrote:
>> Oki doke. I feel the same way you do. Plop down some trees and rocks
> and water towers, and when NL comes out, use some tower buildings, so
> it doesnt feel so naked :)

Okay is downloaded it thanks but I realized I am not sure where to unzip it
to. I never did get the yin yang islands in the right place. Is it
neighbourhoods?

Gareeth

> On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 14:11:06 GMT, "Madame Mim"
> <mad.mim@S.P.A.M.bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
> >I'd love a neighbourhood with the Sims one street layout in it for my
> >Ancestor Sims.
>
> That sounds interesting :)
>
> http://www.smokeypoint.com/houses/neighbourhood.jpg
>
> Like this, ey? I believe I can do it, but of course, it won't look
> anything the same graphically... only comparatively :)

Yes. I don't understand graphically/comparatively??? I understand the
display format is 2D in one and '3D' in two, which would, of course, affect
the visual appearance - is that what you mean? In anycase it's the spacing
I'm looking for, so that appropriate houses would fit into the same
'places'. I tried using existing maps, but the street layout isn't right.

--

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 08:17:32 GMT, "Gareeth" <Gareethnews@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Okay is downloaded it thanks but I realized I am not sure where to unzip it
>to. I never did get the yin yang islands in the right place. Is it
>neighbourhoods?

Something like...
My Documents\EA Games\Sims 2\SC4Terrains

Same root folder as Downloads.