Watercooling build determined, thoughs?

mrlemmiwinks

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
After a week of looking i finally found my case. most people tend to go with obsidian 800d and i was about to until i stumbled upon the greatest case ever.

May I present, the case labs M8! :D

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/caselabs_m8_review/1

this one is white which i think is ugly compared to the black one. plus with all the options you can make it fit any watercooling build WITHOUT having to mod the case. note how the review video takes an hour to cover all the things you can do with it.

ending my pitch on the case and continuing.

MB: Asus maximus extreme IV Z68
CPU: intel I7 2700k (2600k) if 2700s arent "cherrypicked'
ram: 16 gigs of something, think they were ripjaws or the like 2200 speed
gpu: evga hydrocopper 2 3gig x 2
intel SSD (carry over from current system)
pc power and cooling 1000W PSU (carry over from current system)

water cooling.

swifttech pump 665 something model th really good one
3/8ths ID tygon tubing (yes pump output needs to be resized)
2 black ice gtx 360 rads.
going to use compression fittings all silver/chrome
the koolance cpu block
some radiator have to look it up again

for my hardware i dont need help have done it several times. for water cooling this is m first time but have read a bunch of guides looked at alot o builds ect. do you guys have any particular components you swear by? also is a pump speed controller really necessary if im not concerned aobut noise?

this rig will be expensive but my system will last a few years like my last one with alot of new things that can carry over into next build.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
for my hardware i dont need help have done it several times. for water cooling this is m first time but have read a bunch of guides looked at alot o builds ect. do you guys have any particular components you swear by? also is a pump speed controller really necessary if im not concerned aobut noise?

--Sounds like you have hardware sorted out--let's work on the watercooling loop--

Edit: sorry, I think sushidragon may have sorted this out, editing for content based on new understanding...sorry!

swifttech pump 665 something model th really good one -not sure which one you mean, most versions of this pump are great, maybe you mean the vario or the 18v version?

3/8ths ID tygon tubing (yes pump output needs to be resized) Why go from native 1/2"ID on the pump to 3/8"ID? I don't see the point in this...but it's your build...

2 black ice gtx 360 rads. OK...why BIX rads? What version? Why not SR1 instead? Please elaborate.

going to use compression fittings all silver/chrome OK, decent choice, what kind?
the koolance cpu block Which one? Koolance makes a lot of them

some radiator have to look it up again You already listed 2 BIX rads above..?

As for the case, there is also the M10 as well...did you see that one?

SushiDragon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

I think he means the actual computer components, Rubix.

Anyway BIX Rads don't perform that well until you start strapping high-RPM fans like deltas or san aces on them.

Not sure about the 655.....

Use native 1/2 ID and save yourself the trouble.

Use EK, XSPC, or Bitspower Compression fittings.

Not sure about the CPU block.

If your concerned about pump noise, get the Vario D5 Pumps or go with the PWM controlled DDC pump.

mrlemmiwinks

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
thank you for reply all ill gather links to all the water cooling stuff was late last night and i made a lazy post :D

also while im at it are there any sites like toms or anandtech that do performance reviews/comparisons of watercooling euipment?

mrlemmiwinks

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Someone suggested i use the native 1/2 " diamater of the pump so i decided to go ahead with it. Originally i was going for 3/8ths because i felt that larger tubes dwarfed everything else in the case, however, after your question it occured to me that since the m8 is so large it doesent matter. Plus at 300+ gpm probably best to not force pressures up by restricting the output.

Someone also suggest i look at the m10 case. I was under the impression the only difference is the m10 can support extra large main boards. am i missing something or is the no other advance to m10 over m8.

ill link my stuff now

compresion fittings by coolance 1/2 inner 5/8 outer. since im now going larger diamater tygon tubing i may have to add some anged fittings for easier approach angles.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5481/koo-72/Koolance_12_13mm_ID_G14_Threaded_Nozzles_Pair_NZL-V13P.html?tl=g30c409s1033

pump is swiftech mcp665. seems like a good pump with high flow and the power to pump through two gpus a cpu and two rads. only con i see is i has a barb fitting instead of compression. would you guys recommend this or another pump over it?
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6190/ex-pmp-54/Swiftech_MCP655_12v_Water_Pump_w_Speed_Control_and_38_Conversion_Kit_317_GPH.html?tl=g30c107s153

radiator blackice gtx 360 extreme. someone suggested i consider the sr-1 to use with low flow fans. do you have anything that compares the performance? i'm not really concerned too much with noise though the 68db 6000 rpm fans i saw might be a bit noisy. i see alot of dual gpu and single cpu setups claiming outstanding performance with just one gtx. would you maybe then recommend one gtx and one sr or just two srs? the price on both units are almost the same
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5326/ex-rad-109/Black_Ice_GTX_Xtreme_360_Radiator_-_Black.html?tl=g30c95s161

res maybe this ek. this is where im weakest dont really know what i should be looking for

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11183/ex-res-230/EK-MultiOption_RES_X2_-_250_Advanced_-_Liquid_Cooling_Reservoir_8_Total_Ports.html?tl=g30c97s165

tubing. i want clear tygon though some claim this kinks easily, dont think it would be a problem with proper angled fittings and lots of work room that ill have.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2289/ex-tub-28/Tygon_R-3603_12_ID_58_OD_-_Laboratory_Tubing.html?tl=g30c457s1151

koolance cpu block. looks good to me
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12571/ex-blc-874/Koolance_CPU-370_Liquid_Cooling_Extreme_CPU_Block_-_No_Fittings_.html?tl=g30c85s139

i think thats about it. if i forgot something let me know or if you have any input id like to hear it.!

-edit-

err bad edit turns out the old koolance sucked, the new one is really good

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
FrozenCPU has one of the largest selections, but also higher prices. Just something to consider.

Why would you run 6000rpm fans on a rad? As for rads, XSPC RX series are great for the price as they are thicker rads. They are very comparable in performance to the thick Magicool's and BIX SR1's in performance. Most 3x120 rads will get you 500-600 watts in dissipation on average, so you should be fine regardless which route you go.

Pump- great pump, I run one as do many. There isn't anything to be concerned with the barbed fitting, just use a clamp to secure, or get a top so you can use fittings if you want.

Res...a res is a res is a res. Most of it is just preference and what you want in your loop. I have the smaller version of that res- it's very good looking, solid and works for my setup. Again, most of it is preference whether you want a bay res, standalone like this, or a top/res for your pump.

Tygon is good tubing- I don't think they make any low grade, but they might. The type of tubing that kinks is the stuff you get for less than $1/foot online or at your local hardware store. It is cheap, vinyl tubing, very thin walled and does not flex/bend very well.

Your GPUs are the hydrocopper versions, so the blocks are pre-installed.